Security Alert
May 17, 2024

Worldwide Caution

May 10, 2024

Information for U.S. Citizens in the Middle East

Intercountry Adoption


Country Information


Republic of Honduras
Reconsider travel to Honduras due to crime and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed.

Reconsider travel to Honduras due to crime and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

  • Gracias a Dios Department due to crime.

Country Summary: Violent crime, such as homicide, armed robbery, and kidnapping, is common. Violent gang activity, such as extortion, violent street crime, rape, and narcotics and human trafficking, is widespread. Local police and emergency services lack sufficient resources to respond effectively to serious crime.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Honduras.

If you decide to travel to Honduras:

  • Avoid demonstrations.
  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Avoid walking or driving at night.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
  • Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
  • Exercise caution using cell phones in public, including inside of cars while stopped in traffic.
  • Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Country Security Report for Honduras.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.

Gracias a Dios Department – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Gracias a Dios is an isolated area with high levels of criminal activity and drug trafficking. Infrastructure is weak, government services are limited, and police and military presence is scarce.

  • The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Gracias a Dios as U.S. government employees are restricted from traveling to the area.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas


Hague Convention Participation

Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Intercountry adoptions to the United States from Honduras and from the United States to Honduras are possible.

Hague Convention Information

Honduras is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Honduras.

The Department of State will provide updated information on as it becomes available.

Please visit the Department’s country specific information for more information on travelling to Honduras and the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa’s website for information on consular services.

With reference to the Adoption Notice dated July 1, 2019, the Honduran Central Authority has confirmed that it will continue to process certain adoption cases that were started prior to July 1, 2019, under the non-Convention process (or orphan process) as “transition cases.” These cases include those in which a U.S. citizen filed a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, or a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, prior to July 1, 2019. The United States will continue to coordinate with Honduran authorities on issues related to “transition cases.” 

If you obtained a final adoption of a child in Honduras prior to July 1, 2019, you may be able to use the orphan process to process your intercountry adoption.

We are in the process of updating our Country Information Sheet for Honduras. Please continue to monitor for updated information as it becomes available. If you have any questions about this notice, please contact the Office of Children’s Issues at

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Honduras
Avenida La Paz
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Tel: (504) 2238 5114
Fax: N/A

Honduras’ Adoption Authority
Dirección de Niñez, Adolescencia y Familia (DINAF)
Colonia Humuya, Calle la salud, casa 1101
Semaforo entre la colonia El Prado y Blvd. Kuwait
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Tel: (504) 2239-7900

Embassy of Honduras
3007 Tilden Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (202) 966-7702

Honduras also operates consulates in: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Phoenix, and San Francisco.

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20522-1709
Tel:  1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition with the USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):

Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax:  1-913-214-5808

For general questions about immigration procedures:

USCIS Contact Center
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

Last Updated: July 1, 2019

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa
Avenida La Paz
Tegucigalpa M.D.C.
+(504) 2236-9320 or +(504) 2238-5114
 +(504) 2238-5114 or +(504) 2236-9320, extension 4100
+(504) 2238-4357

Honduras Map