Security Alert
May 17, 2024

Worldwide Caution

May 10, 2024

Information for U.S. Citizens in the Middle East

Intercountry Adoption


Country Information


Republic of Malawi
Exercise increased caution in Malawi due to crime and civil unrest.

Reissued with updates to civil unrest information.

Exercise increased caution in Malawi due to crime and civil unrest.

Country Summary: Violent Crime such as theft, burglary, armed robbery, assault, and carjacking is common. The capabilities of the Malawi Police Service are growing but its resources and abilities to deter and investigate crimes, assist victims, and apprehend criminals are limited.

Demonstrations may occur and increase in frequency around political issues and events such as elections. Teargas is frequently deployed at demonstrations and roads may be blocked.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Malawi.

If you decide to travel to Malawi:

  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
  • Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Country Security Report for Malawi.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
  • U.S. citizens are reminded to avoid all gatherings, even peaceful ones, that could turn violent with little or no warning.

Hague Convention Participation

Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Intercountry adoptions to Malawi from the United States may be possible. Intercountry adoptions from Malawi to the United States are currently possible.

Hague Convention Information

Malawi is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the requirement that adoption service providers be accredited or approved, and therefore meet the accreditation standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also applies in non-Convention (“orphan”) cases under section 101(b)(1)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider act as the primary provider in every Convention or non-Convention intercountry adoption case, and that adoption service providers providing any adoption services, as defined at 22 CFR Part 96.2, on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. See additional guidance for limited situations when a primary provider may not be required. Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600. However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website on the impact of the UAA on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the home study requirements listed at 8 CFR 204.311, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

The Malawi Adoption of Children Act of 1949 does not specifically address intercountry adoption, but it states that adopting parents and adopted infants must both be resident in Malawi. While this requirement may appear to preclude the adoption of children from Malawi by parents from another country, a May 9, 2009, Malawi Supreme Court decision gave courts more leeway in granting adoptions for foreign adoptive parents. In particular, while the law remains unchanged, following the Supreme Court decision Malawian courts are no longer obliged to strictly enforce a specific residence requirement before an order for adoption can be granted. The decision extended the meaning of residence so that some kind of physical presence in the country, in addition to ties or links with the country, may now qualify for residence for adoption purposes. The courts in Malawi assess each case individually, taking into consideration the circumstances of the prospective adoptive child.

U.S. Immigration Requirements

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Malawi you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to being found suitable and eligible to adopt by USCIS, prospective adoptive parents seeking to adopt a child from Malawi must meet the following requirements:

  • Minimum Residency: In a May 2009 Malawi Supreme Court decision, the Court determined that an adoption may be granted to foreign adopting parents so long as the parent(s) are not temporary visitors to Malawi and have a serious commitment or connection to Malawi. This decision effectively set aside the previous informal practice of requiring foreign adopting parents to foster the prospective orphan for a period of 18 months in Malawi. (Note: this former practice was never set forth in Malawi law or regulation.) While the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare has not promulgated a written policy implementing the May 2009 Supreme Court decision, U.S. Embassy Lilongwe has observed that High Court judges are issuing adoption decrees to foreign adopting parents whom the judges deem to have adhered to the Supreme Court decision.

Note: Prospective adoptive parent(s) may wish to consult with a Malawian attorney experienced in intercountry adoptions for more information regarding the residency requirement.

  • Age of Adopting Parents: Prospective adoptive parent(s) must be at least 25 years old. Prospective adoptive parent(s) must be at least 21 years older than the prospective adoptive child, although courts are permitted to make exceptions.
  • Marriage: Both married and single persons may adopt. Courts prefer that single persons adopt a child of the same sex. A single male prospective adoptive parent may not adopt a female child unless the court finds there are special circumstances justifying the adoption. Courts will heavily scrutinize cases where a single person adopts a child of the opposite sex to ensure the adoption is in the child’s best interests.

  • Minimum Income: No statutory requirement, but the prospective adoptive parents must submit proof to the court that they earn enough money to care for the child in the country where the child will be resident.

  • Other requirements: No current guidance or regulation regarding gay and lesbian adoption, and/or adoption by same-sex couples. 

Who Can Be Adopted

Under INA §101(b)(1)(F), a child may be considered an orphan because of the death or disappearance of, abandonment or desertion by, or separation or loss from both parents, or in the case where there is a sole or surviving parent who is incapable of providing the proper care and has in writing irrevocably released the child for emigration and adoption.

In addition to qualifying as an orphan under U.S. immigration law, the child must also meet the following requirements of Malawi:

  • Eligibility for adoption:

Consent: Adoption may not take place without the consent of every person who is a parent or guardian, has custody of, or is liable to contribute to the support of the prospective adoptive child. A court may dispense with such required consent if it is satisfied that the relevant individual has abandoned or deserted the child, cannot be found, or is incapable of giving such consent. In the case of an individual who is liable to contribute to the support of the child, the court may dispense with such an individual’s consent if it is satisfied that the individual has persistently neglected or has refused to contribute to supporting the child, or if the court considers that the consent may be dispensed with otherwise.

  • Residency: The child must be resident in Malawi.

  • Age of Adoptive Child: The prospective adoptive child must be less than 21 years old. Please note that for a child to meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law, a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, must be filed on the child’s behalf while the child is under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if the child is the birth sibling of another adopted child who meets the age requirements and immigrated or will immigrate as an orphan based on adoption by the same adoptive parent(s)). Please see the USCIS website for special rules on filing dates for children aged 15-16 or siblings aged 17-18.
  • Sibling Adoptions: Adoption of twins is permissible. There are no specific laws or regulations that relate to the adoption of siblings. 

  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: There are no specific laws or regulations that relate to a child’s special needs or medical conditions, but the court must be satisfied that the adoption is in the best interests of the child and that the prospective adopting parent(s) can provide for the child’s special needs, both physically and psychologically.

  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: There are no specific laws or regulations regarding a waiting period or foster care.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are eligible for adoption. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren). In Malawi, no child may be adopted from an orphanage or elsewhere without the approval of the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare.

How to Adopt

Malawi’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Malawi generally includes the following steps:

1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider to Act as Your Primary Provider

2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt (Form I-600A)

3. Apply to Malawi’s Authorities to Adopt, and to be Matched with a Child

4. Adopt the Child in Malawi

5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible to Immigrate to the United States as an Orphan (Form I-600)

6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

1. Choose a U.S.-Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider to Act as Your Primary Provider

Before taking steps to adopt a child from Malawi, you should select a U.S.-accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case. Your primary provider is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all six adoption services defined at 22 CFR 96.2 are provided, consistent with applicable laws and regulations;

  • Supervising and being responsible for any supervised providers, and otherwise complying with the requirements regarding the provision
    of adoption services using other providers. (see 22 CFR 96.14); and

  • Developing and implementing a service plan in accordance with 22 CFR 96.44.

For more information on primary providers and the UAA, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. See additional guidance for limited situations when a primary provider may not be required. Learn more about Agency Accreditation.

2. Apply to USCIS to Be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Malawi, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Malawi and U.S. immigration law.

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may choose to file a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, with USCIS, to be found suitable and eligible to adopt. If you have already identified the child you wish to adopt, you may also choose to file the Form I-600 petition for the child and include all the required supporting documentation for the Form I-600A application (i.e., an approved home study) so USCIS can make a determination on your suitability and eligibility to adopt before reviewing the child’s eligibility as an orphan. Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options. Unless an exception applies, the home study must be prepared by a person who is authorized under 22 CFR 96 to prepare home studies and must comply with the requirements in 8 CFR 204.311.

3. Apply to Malawi’s Authorities to Adopt and Be Matched with a Child

If you are found suitable and eligible to adopt under U.S. immigration law, Malawi requires you to submit an adoption application to the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare of Malawi to be found eligible to adopt by Malawi.

If a child is eligible for intercountry adoption, the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare of Malawi will review your adoption dossier and, if an appropriate match is found, will provide you with a referral.

We encourage families to consider consulting with a medical professional and their adoption service provider to understand the needs of the specific child, but you must decide for yourself whether you will be able to meet the needs of, and provide a permanent home for, a specific child. You must also ultimately adhere to the USCIS’ suitability determination (i.e., typically the Form I-600A approval notice) with respect to the number of children you are approved to adopt and the characteristics of the child(ren) ( such as age, gender, nationality, and/or special need, disability, and/or impairment) that you are approved to adopt. Learn more about Health Considerations

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Malawi’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law.

4. Adopt the Child in Malawi

The process for finalizing the adoption in Malawi generally includes the following:

  • Role of Competent Authority: Although the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare oversees the adoption process, a court will make the final decision regarding a specific adoption.

  • Role of the Court: After an adoption petition is filed with the court, the court chooses a social worker to be the prospective adoptive child’s guardian ad litem. The guardian ad litem investigates the prospective adoptive child’s social history and monitors the prospective adoptive family for a specified period, after which the guardian ad litem submits a Court Social Report (home study) to the court. Upon receipt of the report, the court rules on whether the adoption can be finalized.

  • Role of Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Providers: There are no adoption agencies in Malawi. However, PAPs must have an ASP to perform the six required adoption services listed in Part 1 of this section. Your ASP may work with a Malawian attorney to assist them to navigate the adoption process, but U.S. law requires that the ASP must supervise the foreign provider. Malawian law requires an attorney to complete all adoption paperwork with the court. For information regarding home studies, prospective adoptive parents in Malawi should contact the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare at Private Bag 330, Lilongwe 3 or Telephone +265 01-770-411. Prospective adoptive parents in the United States can normally use the home study provided to USCIS with their I-600A for adoption purposes in Malawi. The U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe maintains an attorney list in Malawi on its website under "local resources."

Adoption service means one or more of the following six services:

§  Identifying a child for adoption and arranging an adoption;

§  Securing the necessary consent to termination of parental rights and to adoption;

§  Performing a background study on a child or a home study on a prospective adoptive parent(s), and reporting on such a study;

§  Making non-judicial determinations of the best interests of a child and the appropriateness of an adoptive placement for the child;

§  Monitoring a case after a child has been placed with prospective adoptive parent(s) until final adoption; or

§  When necessary because of a disruption before final adoption, assuming custody and providing (including facilitating the provision of) child care or any other social service pending an alternative placement. 22 CFR 96.2 Definitions.

Note: See additional guidance for limited situations when a primary provider may not be required.             

  • Adoption Application: There is no formal adoption application. Adoption Service Providers and their supervised foreign providers should contact the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare to let the Ministry know of their interest in adopting a Malawian child (see Contact Information).

  • Time Frame: Intercountry adoptions in Malawi may take approximately six months to complete, including the investigation by the guardian ad litem of the child’s eligibility for adoption and the prospective adoptive parents’ eligibility to adopt the child.

  • Adoption Fees: On average, depending on the complexity of the case, attorneys’ fees range between Malawi Kwacha (MK) 430,000 and 5,700,000 (USD $550 and $7,500). Court filing fees and Registrar fees for the new birth certificate are under thirty dollars. The Malawian passport fee is approximately MK 85,000.00 ($110.00) for minors.

We encourage prospective adoptive parents to obtain detailed receipts for all fees and donations paid, either by them directly or through their U.S. adoption service provider, and to raise any concerns regarding any payment that you believe may be contrary to U.S. law, or the law of Malawi, with your adoption service provider, and, when appropriate, through the Complaint Registry. Improper payments violate applicable law, or create the appearance of buying a child and could put all future adoptions in Malawi at risk. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq.), for instance, makes it unlawful to make payments to foreign government officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business. Further, the UAA and IAA make certain actions relating to intercountry adoptions unlawful and subject to civil and criminal penalties. These include offering, giving, soliciting, or accepting inducement by way of compensation intended to influence or affect the relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing functions as a competent authority, or to engage another person as an agent to take any such action.

In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your adoption service provider will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.

  • Documents Required: Malawi adoptions are governed by the Adoption of Children Act (CHAP. 26:01) of the laws of Malawi. Documents required when seeking to adopt include: 
    • Proof of identity and nationality of the adoptive parents;
    • A completed U.S. home study and Malawi Court Social Report;
    • Proof that the child is eligible for adoption;
    • Consent of every person who is either the birth parent or legal guardian of, or has custody, or is likely to contribute to the support of, the prospective adoptive child; and
    • Evidence of residency status in Malawi (see Residency Requirements above)

Note: Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. The U.S Department of State’s Authentications Office has information on the subject.

5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible to Immigrate to the United States as an Orphan

After you finalize the adoption in Malawi, USCIS must determine if the child meets the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order for the child to immigrate to the United States. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, on behalf of the child and unless an exception applies, you must identify a primary provider.

If you have a valid Form I-600A approval, you may file your Form I-600 petition in the United States with the USCIS National Benefits Center or at the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe, Malawi. Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options.

Important Notice

When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by USCIS in the United States, the consular section in Lilongwe, Malawi, must complete a Form I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption (sometimes informally referred to as an orphan determination) to verify the child’s orphan status.

When a Form I-600 petition is filed with the Embassy’s consular section, the consular officer will complete the Form I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption, to verify the child’s orphan status. Conducting the Form I-604 determination is a critical part of the non-Convention adoption process. It can take weeks or, in some cases, months to complete, depending upon the circumstances of your case. Consular officers appreciate that families are eager to bring their adopted child home as quickly as possible. Some of the factors that may contribute to the length of the process include prevailing fraud patterns in the country of origin, civil unrest or security concerns that restrict travel to certain areas of the country, and the number of determinations performed by available staff. Consular officers make every effort to conduct them as quickly and thoroughly as possible. You are advised to keep your travel plans flexible while awaiting the results.

6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

Once your adoption is complete and the Form I-604 determination has been completed, finding that your child meets the legal definition of an orphan for immigration purposes, you must apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

Birth Certificate

You will need to obtain a birth certificate for your child.

If you have finalized the adoption in Malawi, you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

The responsible office for birth records in Malawi is the National Registration Bureau in Lilongwe. Please note that it can take up to three weeks to obtain a birth certificate once the application is submitted.

Address of the National Registration Bureau:

The National Registration Bureau
Office of the President and Cabinet,
Capital Hill Circle, Private Bag 301
Capital City, Lilongwe 3, Malawi
Telephone: +2651789311 / +2651789 411

Documents to submit when requesting a birth certificate:

  • Completed birth certificate application;
  • Original adoption order from a Malawi court; and
  • Adoptive parent(s) proof of citizenship (e.g., passport).

Malawi Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Malawi.

The Department of Immigration under the Ministry of Home Affairs is the government entity responsible for passport application processing and issuance. There are two passport centers in Malawi:

1) Regional Immigration Office:

Physical address:
Old Town
Opposite PVHO/Behind CFAO Malawi
Off Paul Kagame Road

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 1272
Tel: 01-759-270

2) Immigration Department Headquarters:

Physical address:
Malawi Immigration Department Headquarters
New Government Building Complex

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 331
Blantyre 3
Tel: 01-823-77

Documents to submit when requesting a Malawian passport:

  • Completed Malawian passport application form
  • Adopted child's birth certificate
  • Two recent passport photographs of the adopted child
  • Original Adoption Order from a Malawian Court
  • Passport application fee of MK 85, 000.00 ($110)

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, you must apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, you must provide the consular officer with the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

Before coming for your child’s immigrant visa interview, please complete an Electronic Immigrant Visa Application (DS-260) online at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). If you filed a Form I-600 petition in the United States, you should receive a letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) confirming receipt of the petition and assignment of a case number and an invoice ID number. You will need this information to log into CEAC to file the DS-260 for your child. You should fill out these forms in your child's name. Answer every item on the form. If information is not applicable, please write “N/A” in the block. Print and bring the DS-260 confirmation page to the visa interview. Review the DS-260 FAQs, our Online Immigrant Visa Forms page, or contact NVC at or +1-603-334-0700 if you have questions about completing the online DS-260 form.

Upon receipt of the case at post, the Consular Section generally notifies the petitioner. Visa issuance after the final interview generally takes 48-72 hours. It is not usually possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the same day as the immigrant visa interview. You should verify current processing times with the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe before making final travel arrangements. Additional information on immigrant visa processing can be found on our website.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized after the child’s admission into the United States:  You will need to complete an adoption following your child’s admission into the United States and before the child turns eighteen for the child (if he or she otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000) to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Once your child acquires U.S. citizenship, s/he will need a U.S. passport for international travel. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Department of State’s Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Malawi

In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Malawi, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country-Specific Information for every country in the world about various issues, including health conditions, crime, currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling abroad during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State through our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country. Enrollment makes it possible for the U.S. Embassy in Malawi to contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Malawi, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements

There are no statutory post-adoption reporting requirements for Malawi, although the court will often ask for a voluntary post-placement report.

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. You may wish to take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services. Your primary provider can provide or point you to post- placement/post-adoption services to help your adopted child and your family transition smoothly and deal effectively with the many adjustments required in an intercountry adoption.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services maintains a website, the Child Welfare Information Gateway, which may be a useful resource to get you started on your support group search.


If you have concerns about your intercountry adoption process, we ask that you share this information with the Embassy in Lilongwe, particularly if it involves possible fraud or misconduct specific to your child’s case. The Department of State takes all allegations of fraud or misconduct seriously. Our Adoption Comment Page provides several points of contact for adoptive families to comment on their adoption service provider, their experience applying for their child’s visa, or about the Form I-600/A process.

The Complaint Registry is an internet based registry for filing complaints about U.S. accredited or approved adoption service providers. If you think your provider's conduct may not have been in compliance with accreditation standards, first submit your complaint in writing directly to your provider. If the complaint is not resolved through the provider's complaint process, you may file the complaint through the Complaint Registry.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Malawi
16 Jomo Kenyatta Rd
Lilongwe 3
Tel: +265-1-773-166
Internet: U.S. Embassy Lilongwe

Malawi’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability, and Social Welfare
Gemini House, City Centre
Private Bag 330
Lilongwe 3
Tel: 265-1-770-411 / 740 / 203

Embassy of Malawi
2408 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel: 202-721-0270

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about filing a Form I-600A application or a Form I-600 petition with the

USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):

Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax:1- 913-214-5808

For questions about filing a Form I-600A application or a Form I-600 petition with a USCIS international field office:

Please visit and select the appropriate office.

For general questions about immigration procedures:

USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

Last Updated: May 26, 2020

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Lilongwe
Area 40, City Center
Lilongwe, Malawi
Mailing Address: PO Box 30016
Lilongwe 3, Malawi
+(265) 1-773-166, 1-773-342 and 1-773-367 (Dial "0" before the "1" within Malawi)
+(265) (0) 999-591-024 or +(265) (0) 888-734-826
+(265) 1-774-471 (Dial "0" before the "1" within Malawi)

Malawi Map