Intercountry Adoption


Country Information


Republic of Finland
Exercise normal precautions in Finland.

Exercise normal precautions in Finland. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Finland:

Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Both adoptions to the United States from Finland and from the United States to Finland are possible.
Hague Convention Information

Finland is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, adoptions between Finland and the United States are governed by the requirements of the Convention and the laws and regulations implementing the Convention in both the United States and Finland.

The Department of State does not maintain files on the adoption process in Finland because adoptions from Finland are rare. Fewer than five adoptions by American citizen parents have taken place since 2000. Please visit the Department's Country Specific Information sheets for more information on travelling to Finland and the website of U.S. Embassy Helsinki for information on consular services.

The Finnish Board of Intercountry Adoption Affairs, of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is the Central Authority for the purposes of the Hague Adoption Convention in Finland. American Citizens living in Finland who wish to adopt from the U.S. or a third country should contact the the Finish Central Authority to learn about Finish requirements that may apply to their adoption. Contact information for the Finish Central Authority is available on their website

U.S. Immigration Requirements

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Finland, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Helsinki
Itäinen Puistotie 14B
00140 Helsinki
+(358) 9-616-250
+(358) 9-616-250 and select 0
+(358) 9-174-681
Finland Map