Security Alert
May 17, 2024

Worldwide Caution

May 10, 2024

Information for U.S. Citizens in the Middle East

Intercountry Adoption


Country Information


Kingdom of Sweden
Exercise increased caution in Sweden due to terrorism.

Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed

Exercise increased caution in Sweden due to terrorism.

Country Summary: Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Sweden. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Sweden.

If you decide to travel to Sweden:

  • Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities.
  • Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. 
  • Review the Country Security Report for Sweden.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations.  Review the Traveler’s Checklist.


Hague Convention Participation

Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Intercountry adoptions to the United States from Sweden may be possible.

Hague Convention Information

Please see our section on Adoptions from the United States for more information on the process for adopting a child from the United States. We urge prospective adoptive parents residing abroad who are considering adoption of a child from the United States to consult with Sweden’s Central Authority, the Family Law and Parental Support Authority, for its determination as to whether it considers your adoption to be subject to the Convention.

Sweden is a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Convention countries must be done in accordance with the Convention; the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); the IAA’s implementing regulations; and all applicable legislation and regulations of Sweden.

Sweden is not considered a country of origin for intercountry adoption at this time. While adoption is legally possible, children from Sweden are not generally placed for intercountry adoption. No child from Sweden has received a U.S. immigrant visa based on an intercountry adoption in the past five fiscal years. The information provided is intended primarily to assist in extremely rare adoption cases from Sweden, including adoptions of children from Sweden by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by U.S. citizens living in Sweden.

Prospective adoptive parents who are stationed overseas on U.S. military orders, posted overseas on U.S. government orders, or are private citizens living abroad are cautioned that the Convention may apply to an adoption completed in the United States, in the host country, and/or involving a child from a third country. We also strongly encourage such prospective adoptive parents to consult with the Central Authority of the country where they are physically residing, and/or where the child is residing, to determine whether the Convention applies to a proposed adoption.

Below is the limited adoption information the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Sweden. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Sweden should contact the Central Authority of Sweden to inquire about applicable laws and procedures.  U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Sweden who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Sweden’s Central Authority.  See contact information below.

Please visit the Department of State’s country pages for more information on traveling to Sweden and the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm’s website for information on consular services.

The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5/17 Letter”) to Sweden’s Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen adoptive parents and a child from Sweden if all Convention requirements are met and the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States.  This letter will inform Sweden’s Central Authority that the parents are suitable and eligible to adopt, that the child appears eligible to enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

Warning:  Do not attempt to adopt a child in Sweden before USCIS has provisionally approved your Form I-800 petition AND a U.S. consular officer issues the “Article 5/17 Letter” for your adoption case.

Remember:  The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

Contact Information

Sweden’s Adoption Authority:
Family Law and Parental Support Authority (MFoF)
Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
Mailing address: Box 35
931 21 Skellefteå , Sweden
Physical address: Nygatan 40B
Tel: +46 (10) 190 11 00 

U.S. Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31
SE-115 89 Stockholm, Sweden
Tel: (+46) 8 783 5300

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20520
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:

USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC)
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1- 913-275-5480 (local); Fax:1- 913-214-5808

For general questions about immigration procedures:

USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

Last Updated: February 26, 2024

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Stockholm
Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31,
SE-115 89 Stockholm, Sweden
+(46) (8) 783-5300
+(46) (8) 783-5300
+(46) (8) 783-5480

Sweden Map