Russia Travel Advisory
April 19, 2022

Do Not Travel and Leave Immediately

Ukraine Crisis
April 26, 2022

Information for U.S. Citizens in Ukraine

Intercountry Adoption


Country Information


Israel, the West Bank and Gaza
Israel, Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza
Exercise increased caution in Israel due to terrorism and civil unrest.

Exercise increased caution in Israel due to terrorism and civil unrest.  

Exercise increased caution when traveling to the West Bank due to terrorism and civil unrest

Do not travel to Gaza due to terrorism, civil unrest, and armed conflict.

Some areas have increased risk. Read the country information page and this entire Travel Advisory.   

Terrorist groups and lone-wolf terrorists continue plotting possible attacks in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities. Violence can occur in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza without warning. There has been a marked increase in demonstrations throughout Israel, some with little or no warning.   

West Bank: U.S. government travel throughout the West Bank is limited. Visit our website for Travel to High Risk Areas.  

Gaza:  The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Gaza as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling there and are restricted from traveling close to the Gaza demarcation line.  Hamas, a U.S. government-designated foreign terrorist organization, controls the security infrastructure in Gaza. The security environment within Gaza and on its borders is dangerous and volatile. Sporadic mortar or rocket fire and corresponding Israeli military responses may occur at any time. During periods of unrest or armed conflict, the crossings between Gaza with Israel and Egypt may be closed. 

Visit our website for Travel to High Risk Areas

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza have unknown levels of COVID-19.  Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.

If you decide to travel to Israel and/or the West Bank: 

  • Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before planning any international travel and read the Embassy COVID-19 page for country specific information.
  • Have a plan to depart Israel and the West Bank, which does not rely on U.S. government assistance. 
  • Carry additional supplies of necessary medication in carry-on luggage due to quarantine restrictions.  
  • Check the most recent Alerts at the Embassy website for the latest information on travel in all of these areas.  
  • Maintain a high degree of situational awareness and exercise caution at all times, especially at checkpoints and other areas with a significant presence of security forces. 
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds. 
  • Follow the instructions of security and emergency response officials. 
  • Beware of and report suspicious activities, including unattended items, to local police. 
  • Learn the location of the nearest bomb shelter or other hardened shelter. Download the Home Front Command Red Alert application for mobile devices to receive real time alerts for rocket attacks.   
  • Obtain comprehensive travel medical insurance that includes medical evacuation prior to travel. Most travel insurance packages do not cover mental health related illnesses/care.  
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. 
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter
  • Review the Country Security Report for Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza.  
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Last Update:  Reissued with updates to health information.


Hague Convention Participation

Hague Adoption Convention Country?

Hague Convention Information

Israel is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all adoptions between Israel and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

Please Note: Adoption in Israel by non-Israeli citizens is rare and is possible only through the Israeli Central Agency for International Adoption.

U.S. Immigration Requirements

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Israel is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Israel, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Israel also has the following requirements for prospective adoptive parents:

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Adoptive parents must stay in Israel for the duration of the adoption process. In order to adopt a baby up to age 2, the parents must be Israeli citizens. Non-Israeli citizens can only adopt a baby or a child with special needs for whom no adoptive parents could be found in Israel. Preference will be given to adoptive parents of the same religion or ethnic origin as the child.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: The age difference between either of the parents and the child may not be greater than 43 years.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: Partners whose cohabitation is not recognized by the government as a legal marriage or single parents can only adopt children with special needs.
  • INCOME REQUIREMENTS: The adopting parents' financial situation must be strong enough to allow adequate support of the child. Prospective adoptive parents must also submit salary slips to prove financial stability. The adoption officer will verify the information by interviewing the adoptive parents and conducting a home visit. See "Documents Required" below.
  • OTHER REQUIREMENTS: All prospective adoptive parents must undergo a psychological test conducted by a psychologist as well as a social worker. The prospective adopting parents must also be judged in good physical health. Please see both "section a" of "Adoption Procedures" and "section e" of "Documents Required" below, as prospective adoptive parents must undergo a physical examination and submit a medical report. The couple need not be childless.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Israel is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Israel must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the Convention requires that Israel attempt to place a child with a family in Israel before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Israeli requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adopteefor you to bring him or her back to the United States.


  • Relinquishment/Abandonment Requirements: Either the birth parents must provide a signed statement that they are willing to abandon the child or a court must declare the birth parents as unknown or unable to raise the child

How to Adopt


The Central Agency for International Adoption, managed by Ms. Orna Hirshfeld, is the national adoption authority. Ms. Nehama Tal has been assigned to be the inspector on international adoption.


Because Israel is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Israel must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements.

NOTE: If you filed your I-600a with Israel before April 1, 2008, the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption. Your adoption could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions. Learn more.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States
  5. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Israel
  6. Bring your Child Home
  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider: 

    The first step in adopting a child from Israel is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited. Only these agencies and attorneys can provide adoption services between the United States and Israel. Learn more.

  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    Once the U.S. government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt, you or your agency will forward your information to the adoption authority in Israel. Israel's adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Israeli law.

  3. Be Matched with a Child:

    If both the United States and Israel determine that you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority in Israel may provide you with a referral for a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of the particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child.

  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval to adopt that particular child (Form I-800). USCIS will determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted and enter the United States. Learn how.

    After this, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application for to a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Officer will review the child's information and evaluate the child for possible visa ineligibilities. If the Consular Office determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States, he/she will notify the Israeli adoption authority (Article 5 letter). For Convention country adoptions, prospective adoptive parent(s) may not proceed with the adoption or obtain custody for the purpose of adoption until this takes place.

    Remember: The Consular Officer will make a final decision about the immigrant visa later in the adoption process. 

  5. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Israel:

    Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Israel, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Israel.

    The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Israel generally includes the following:

    • TIME FRAME: To adopt a baby in Israel, there is approximately a 5-year waiting list.

      When adopting a child with special needs, there is at least a six-month wait (depending on the age of the child and the parents' abilities).

    • ADOPTION APPLICATION / PROCEDURE: All prospective adopting parents must go through the following process when adopting an Israeli child:
      • Preliminary medical examination of the parents;
      • The child must first be declared adoptable. Either the birth parents must provide a signed statement that they are willing to abandon the child or a court must declare the birth parents as unknown or unable to raise the child;
      • Written evaluation of the child's medical condition;
      • The adoptive parents must physically arrive in Israel, meet the child and appear in court. At that point the court will grant them full guardianship;
      • The Ministry of Labor will conduct a follow-up investigation as to the child's successful integration into the family;
      • If the results of the Ministry's investigation are satisfactory after a period of six months residency with the adoptive parents, an adoption decree will be granted by the applicable Israeli court;
      • Additionally, an adoption decree must be received from the country of the adoptive parents. The adoptive parents will then proceed with obtaining an immigrant visa for the child;
      • The child is then registered in the Israeli adoption registry.
    • PALESTINIAN ADOPTION PROCEDURES: These are the Palestinian adoption procedures in the West bank and Gaza according to the Embassy in Jerusalem:

      Christian Adoption:
      Prospective adoptive parents can obtain an adoption decree from the ecclesiastical court of their community (e.g. Latin, Greek, Armenian, etc). On the basis of the adoption decree issued by the court of the respective church, a Palestinian Birth Certificate can be issued and subsequently a Palestinian Passport (please note that there are sometimes difficulties in receiving civil documents from the Palestinian Authority).

      Muslim Adoption: 
      The Palestinian Authority opposes adoption by foreign parents, because, according to an unnamed source, Palestinian children must remain in Palestine. Additionally, Islamic Shari'a Law does not allow for adoption as it is recognized in the United States; rather, they allow for "guardianship". Please view our flyer on Adoption of Children from Countries in which Islamic Shari'a Law is observed.

      If a couple is able to locate a child, the couple must pursue custody with the Palestinian Authority District Court. Only after this is granted, can U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv pursue an IR-4 immigrant visa for the child under the category "to be adopted in the U.S. ".

      All adoption cases that were handled in the Jerusalem Embassy were from the West Bank, and they have not yet encountered one from Gaza .

      Please note: According to the Israeli adoption agency representative, adoption in Gaza is not possible since Islam does not enable adoption. According to the agency representative, about three years ago Chairman Arafat ordered that only Muslim couples could adopt children from Gaza.

    • ADOPTION FEES: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.

      There are no government processing fees associated with adoption in Israel. The U.S. Embassy in Israel discourages the payment of any fees that are not properly receipted, "donations," or "expediting" fees, that may be requested from prospective adoptive parents. Such fees have the appearance of "buying" a baby and put all future adoptions in Israel at risk.

    • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: The following items are required prior to adoption in Israel :
      • Home study of the adoptive parents,
      • Salary slips attesting to their income,
      • Proof of adequate housing,
      • Police certificate showing no previous criminal record,
      • Medical report proving the good health of the adoptive parents.
      • Guarantee that the child will obtain their citizenship once the adoption has been finalized.

        Please note: U.S. citizenship is not granted at U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv in Israel. The child is granted an immigrant visa which enables him/her to be admitted into the United States. If the child is issued an IR-3 visa, he or she will be granted automatic citizenship upon admission into the U.S. If the child is issued an IR-4 visa, he or she must be readopted in the U.S. In which case, it is only after a full and final adoption decree has been obtained in the U.S. that the child will acquire U.S. citizenship under INA 320. This must be done while the child is under the age of 18.

      • Report completed by an Israeli social worker concerning the prospective adopting parents' financial situation and ability to support the child as well as stating that there is no history of family violence or harassment of minors.
      • NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how.
  6. Bring Your Child Home Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:

    • Birth Certificate 
      You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.
    • Israeli Passport 
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Israel.
    • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-800 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the "Panel Physician's" medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage.

      An interview will be scheduled for the adoptive parents and child with the Consular Officer following receipt by the Embassy of the approval of the I-800 that was filed with USCIS and all the supporting documents, and after completion of the adoption. If they meet all visa requirements per law, an immigrant visa (wither IR-3 or IR-4) will be issued to the child. Occasionally, parents who expected to obtain a final and valid adoption abroad are unable to do so and must apply for an IR-4 visa for their child instead of an IR-3.

      Note: Visa issuance after the final interview now generally takes at least 24 hours and it will not normally be possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview. Adoptive parents should verify current processing times at the appropriate consular section before making final travel arrangements.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to acquire American citizenship when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions to be finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to typically acquire American citizenship when the U.S. state court issues the final adoption decree. We urge your family to finalize the adoption in a U.S. State court as quickly as possible.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Israel. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Israel, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Israel, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Israel require of the adoptive parents after the adoption? 

We strongly urge you to comply with the wish of Israel and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption? 

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy Jerusalem
14 David Flusser
Jerusalem 9378322, Israel
Tel: (972) (02) 630-4000

Branch Office Tel Aviv
71 HaYarkon Street
Tel Aviv 6343229, Israel
Tel: (972) (03) 519-7575

Israel's Adoption Authority 
Central Agency for International Adoption 
Ministry of Labor
10 Yad Harutzim Street
Jerusalem 91012
Tel: 972-2-6708177 / 8
Fax: 972-2-6708451

Embassy of Israel
3514 International Dr. N.W.
Washington DC 20008
Tel: 202-364-5500
Fax: 202-364-5527

* Israel also has consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Jerusalem
14 David Flusser Street
Jerusalem 93392

For Embassy Branch Office Tel Aviv, e-mail For additional contact information for the Embassy Branch Office, see the Embassies and Consulates section on this page.
+ (972) (2) 630-4000
+ (972) (3) 519-7551
+ (972) (2) 630-4070

Israel, the West Bank and Gaza Map