Intercountry Adoption


Country Information


Republic of Rwanda
Exercise normal precautions in Rwanda.

Exercise normal precautions in Rwanda.

Reconsider Travel To:

  • The Rwanda-Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) border due to armed conflict.            

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Rwanda:

Rwanda-Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) border

The armed group Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda operates in eastern DRC near the border.

Congolese armed forces and UN peacekeepers continue combat operations against armed groups in North and South Kivu provinces. Violence sporadically targets civilians, including rape, kidnapping, and pillaging.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas

Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Hague Convention Information

Rwanda is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Rwanda.

In February 2015, the Government of Rwanda confirmed that the current suspension, which began August 31, 2010, on intercountry adoptions is still in effect. The Government of Rwanda has not provided a timeline for its review of intercountry adoption procedures and has indicated that the suspension will remain in place until the procedures to implement the Convention are finalized.

The Department of State will provide updated information on this website as it becomes available. Please visit the Rwanda's Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Rwanda and the U.S. Embassy in Kigali’s website for information on consular services.

U.S. Immigration Requirements
enter text here
Contact Information

Rwanda's Adoption Authority 
National Commission for Children            
Kigali, Rwanda

U.S. Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Ave. de la Gendarmerie
Kigali, Rwanda
Tel: 250 252 596 400

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Kigali
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru),
250-252-596-400-7000 (Monday through Thursday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
250-252-596-400, and dial 1
Rwanda Map