Exercise increased caution in Malawi due to civil unrest.
Scheduled political demonstrations have recently occurred in several cities and towns in Malawi. On occasion, acts of vandalism and looting have accompanied these demonstrations, and police have responded by deploying tear gas.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Malawi:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Malawi.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to a Risk Indicator and Travel Advisory level.