Prevention Tips

Brochures on Preventing an International Parental Child Abduction

For a brochure on preventing international parental child abduction, click English or Spanish.

Tips to Prevent an Abduction from Occurring

Take action if you think the other parent has taken your child. 

Get a court order or custody decree: A clear court order may be the most important preventative measure. For example, court orders may include provisions addressing passports, travel restrictions, or custody. 

Consult an attorney: We strongly encourage parents to consult with an attorney regarding their particular circumstances, including the possibility of obtaining an order that prohibits the child from traveling outside of the United States.

Be aware of warning signs: Be on the alert for sudden changes in the other parent’s life, such as quitting a job or selling a home, that may be made in preparation to relocate. For more information, click on our Resources for Parents page.

Notify local law enforcement and give them copies of any court orders, including custody, protection, and restraining orders.  

Consider contacting a country’s foreign embassy or consulate if your child is or may be a dual national of that country. If one parent is a citizen of another country, for example, your child may have claims to a foreign nationality and therefore be able to obtain a passport from that country. See our FAQs for more information on dual nationality.

Be aware the United States does not have exit controls or require two-parent consent for a minor to travel across international borders. Law enforcement may be unable to prevent an abduction without a valid court order clearly prohibiting the child’s travel outside of the United States. 

Last Updated: March 23, 2021