New Mexico


State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

New Mexico Department of Public Safety
Attn: Law Enforcement Records
P. O. Box 1628
Santa Fe, NM  87504-1628
Phone: (505) 827-9297


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Albuquerque Field Office
4200 Luecking Park Ave NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Phone: (505) 889-1300
Fax: (505) 889-1770

State Patrol
New Mexico State Police
Phone: (505) 827-9300 or (505) 827-3476
Fax: (505) 827-3394

Department of Public Safety
New Mexico Department of Public Safety
Phone: (505) 827-9000

Department of Transportation
New Mexico Department of Transportation
Phone: (505) 827-5100

Port Authorities
New Mexico Border Authority
221 Pete Domenici Highway
Santa Teresa, NM 88008
Phone: (575) 589-6501
Fax: (575) 589-6499

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Albuquerque International Sunport, Albuquerque (ABQ)
2200 Sunport Blvd. SE
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Phone: (505) 244-7700
Lost & Found: (505) 244-7706 (24-hour line)
Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office
Phone: (505) 468-7100


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

New Mexico Legislature
Phone: (505) 986-4300

New Mexico Courts
Family Law Forms

New Mexico State Bar Association
Phone: (505) 797-6000
Fax: (505) 828-3765

New Mexico Attorney General

Locator Service
Child Support Enforcement Division
Department of Human Services
Phone: 1-800-585-7631
1-800-288-7207 (in-state only)

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Crime Victims Reparation Commission
8100 Mountain Road, NE, Suite 106
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Phone: (505) 841-9432
1-800-306-6262 (victims only)
Fax: (505) 841-9437

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)