International Parental Child Abduction





State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Minnesota State Clearinghouse                        
MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension                
1430 Maryland Ave. E     
St. Paul, MN  55106
Phone: (651) 793-7000 (24/7)
Fax:  (651) 793-7015


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Minneapolis Field Office
1501 Freeway Boulevard
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
Phone: (763) 569-8000
Fax: (763) 569-8567

State Patrol
Minnesota State Patrol
Phone: (651) 201-7100

Department of Public Safety
Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Phone: (651) 215-1328

Department of Transportation
Minnesota Department of Transportation
Phone: (651) 296-3000
Toll Free from Greater Minnesota
Phone: 1-800-657-3774
1-800-627-3529 (TTY, Voice, or ACSII)

Port Authorities
St. Paul Port Authority
Phone: (651) 224-5686

Duluth Seaway Port Authority
Phone: (218) 727-8525

Port Authority of Winona
Phone: (507) 457-8250
Fax: (507) 457-8212

Red Wing Port Authority
Phone: (651) 385-3639
Fax: (651) 388-4782

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Duluth International Airport, Duluth (DLH)
Phone: (218) 727-2968
Fax: (218) 727-2960
Duluth Police Department
Phone: (218) 730-5400

Falls International Airport, International Falls (INL)
Phone: (218) 283-4461
Koochiching County Law Enforcement Center
Phone: (218) 283-4416

Minneapolis- St. Paul International Airport, Minneapolis (MSP)
Airport Information and Paging Office: (612) 726-5555
Lost and Found: (612) 726-5141
Airport Police: (612) 726-5547
Emergency line at airport: (612) 726-5577

Rochester International Airport, Rochester (RST)
Phone: (507) 282-2328
Rochester Police Department
Phone: (507) 328-6800
Fax: (507) 328-6975


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Minnesota State Legislature

Minnesota Judicial Branch
Phone:  (651) 297-7650
Self-Help Center: Divorce, Custody, and Family Law

Minnesota State Bar Association
Phone: (612) 333-1183

Office of Minnesota Attorney General

Locator Service
Child Support Enforcement Division
PO Box 64946
Saint Paul, MN 55164-0946
Phone: (651) 431-4400, from the home page respectively click on the “A-Z topics”
and “Child Support” links

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Crime Victims Reparations Board
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 2300
St. Paul, MN 55101-1515
Phone: (651) 201-7300

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral

Missing Children Minnesota
416 E. Hennepin Ave. Suite 217
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: (612) 334-9449
1-888-RUN-YELL (786-9355)

Jacob Wetterling Resource Center
2324 University Avenue, West, Suite 105
St. Paul, MN 55114-1863
Phone: (651) 714-4673
1-800-325-HOPE (4673)

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)

Last Updated: August 10, 2018