State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.

Montana Department of Justice 
Missing Persons Clearinghouse 
P.O. Box 201402 
303 N. Roberts Street, Room 471 
Helena, MT 59620-1402 
Phone: 406-444-1526 


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. 

FBI Field Office
Montana falls under the purview of FBI Salt Lake
Salt Lake City Field Office
5425 West Amelia Earhart Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Phone: 801-579-1400

Montana Department of Justice
Phone: 406-444-2026
Division of Criminal Investigation

State Patrol
Montana Highway Patrol
Phone: 406-444-3780

Department of Transportation
Montana Department of Transportation
Phone: 406-444-6200 or 800-335-7592

Department of Public Safety
Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services
Phone: 406-444-7374

Port Authorities

Two Rivers Authority
406 N. Cheyenne Ave.
Hardin, MT 59034

Pondera Regional Port Authority
311 South Main, Suite D
Conrad, MT 59425

Port of Northern Montana
112 1st Street South
Shelby, Montana 59474

Nationwide Resources: 
Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link:



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help. You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at or by calling 888-407-4747. 


Legal Assistance

Reason to Contact:
If you are involved in an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid group may be able to help you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide free legal help or help at a low cost to eligible individuals. Eligibility is mainly based on income and resource limits. There are also rules on the types of cases they will take.

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

State Law Library of Montana

Montana Legislature

Montana’s Judicial Branch

Montana Supreme Court
Phone: 406-444-5490

State Bar of Montana
Phone: (406) 442-7660

Montana Department of Justice

Locator Service
Child Support Enforcement Division
Department of Public Health & Human Services
3075 North Montana Avenue
PO Box 202943
Helena, MT 59620-2943
Phone: 406-444-9855 or 800-346-5437

Compensation Program For Crime Victims
Crime Victim Compensation Program
Office of Victim Services and Restorative Justice
2225 11th Avenue
PO Box 201410
Helena, MT 59620-1410
Phone: 406-444-3653 or 800-498-6455


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resource below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note: the resource below may not be current and may change at any time. This resource is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. 

Non-Profit Organization

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street, Suite 125
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-224-2150  

Last Updated: April 16, 2024