State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

California Department of Justice
Missing/Unidentified Persons Unit
P. O. Box 903387
Sacramento, CA 94203-3870
Phone: (916) 227-3290
1-800-222-3463 (nationwide)
Fax: (916) 227-3270


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Offices

Los Angeles Field Office
11000 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone: (310) 477-6565
Fax: (310) 996-3359

Sacramento Field Office
2001 Freedom Way
Roseville, CA 95678
Phone: (916) 481-9110
Fax: (916) 977-2300

San Diego Field Office
10385 Vista Sorrento Parkway
San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: (858) 565-1255
Fax (858) 499-7991

San Francisco Field Office
450 Golden Gate Avenue
13th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102-9523
Phone: (415) 553-7400
Fax: (415) 553-7674

State Patrol
California Highway Patrol
Phone: 1-800-835-5247

Department of Transportation
California Department of Transportation
Phone: (916) 654-2852

Port Authorities

California Association of Port Authorities
Phone: (916) 444-7158

Los Angeles Port Police
Dispatch: (310) 732-3500 (24 hours)

Port of Long Beach
Phone: (562) 283 -7820
Harbor Patrol Dispatcher, 24 hrs. (562) 590-4185

San Diego Harbor Police
Phone: (619) 686-6570
Dispatch: (619) 686-6272
Emergency: (619) 223-1133 

Los Angeles World Airports
Airport Police: (310) 646-4268
For Emergencies: (310) 646-7911

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Fresno Yosemite International Airport, Fresno (FYI)
5175 E. Clinton Way
Fresno, CA 93727
Airport Public Safety Office: (559) 621-6650
Emergency: (559) 621-6650 or (559) 621-6670
Fax: (559) 498-4097
City of Fresno Police Department
Chief’s Office: (559) 621-7000

Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles (LAX) (*principal port of entry)
1 World Way
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Phone: (310) 646-5252
Airport Police: For Emergency Call (310) 646-7911
For All Other Business Call (310) 644-4268

Metropolitan Oakland International Airport, Oakland (OAK)
1 Airport Drive
Oakland, CA 94621
Phone: (510) 563-3300
Lost & Found: (510) 563-3982
City of Oakland Police Department
Phone: (510) 777-3333

Ontario International Airport, Ontario (ONT)
1923 East Avion Street
Ontario, CA 91761
Phone: (909) 937-2700
TDD: (909) 937-2163
Lost & Found: (909) 472-0157

Palm Springs International Airport, Palm Springs (PSP)
Phone: (760) 318-3800
Fax: (760) 318-3815
TDD: (760) 864-9527
Palm Springs Police Department
Phone: (760) 323-8116

Sacramento International Airport, Sacramento (SMF)
6900 Airport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95837
Communications Center: (916) 929-5411
International Airport Administration: (916) 874-0719
Lost & Found: (916) 874-0701
Sacramento County Airport System:
Sacramento County Sheriff
Non-emergencies: (916) 874-5115
TDD Non-emergencies: (916) 874-7128
Airport Division: (916) 874-0675

San Diego International Airport, San Diego (SAN) (*principal port of entry)
3225 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 400-2404
Lost & Found: (619) 400-2140 / (619) 400-2141 (Fax)
Airport Police Contact Number: (619) 298-2612 or (619) 428-7311
San Diego Harbor Police
Emergency: (619) 686-8000 or (619) 223-1133
Non-Emergency: (619) 686-6272

San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco (SFO) (*principal port of entry)
Telephone: 1-800-435-9736 or (650) 821-8211
Airport Police
Emergency: (650) 876-2323
Non-emergency:  (650) 821-7111

San Francisco Police Department
Non-Emergency Situations: (415) 553-0123
Airport Bureau – Administration: (650) 821-7000
Airport Bureau – Patrol: (650) 876-2386

Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport, San Jose (SJC)
1701 Airport Boulevard
San Jose, CA 95110
Phone: (408) 392-3600
Lost & Found: (408) 392-3559
San Jose Police – Airport Division: (408) 277-5400


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

California Office of the Attorney General
Phone: (916) 322-3360
Toll-free in California: 1-800- 952-5225
Fax: (916) 323-5341
Bureau of Investigation and Intelligence

California State Legislature

California State Courts
Supreme Court of California
Telephone: (415) 865-7000
California Courts Self-Help Center

The State Bar of California

Locator Service
Department of Child Support Services
PO Box 419064
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9064
1-866-249-0773 (Recorded Messages)

Compensation Program For Crime Victims
Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board
PO Box 3036
Sacramento, CA 95812-3036

Non-Profit Organizations

Child Quest International Inc.
1060 North 4th Street, Suite 200
San Jose, CA 95112-4941
Phone: (408) 287-HOPE (4673)

Interstate Association for Stolen Children
PO Box 131
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-0131
(916) 965-5959

Polly Klaas® Foundation
PO Box 800
Petaluma, CA 94953-0800
1-800-587-4357 (24 hour hotline)
Fax: (707) 769-4019

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)