State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.

Illinois State Police 
Clearinghouse for Missing Persons 
2200 South Dirksen Parkway, Suite 238 
Springfield, IL 62703-4528  
Phone: 217-785-4341 or 800-843-5763  


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. 

FBI Field Office 
Chicago Field Office 
2111 W. Roosevelt Road 
Chicago, IL 60608 
Phone: 312-421-6700 
State Patrol 
Illinois State Police 
General Questions 
Department of Public Safety 
Illinois Health & Safety 
Port Authority 

Illinois International Port District 
Phone: 773-646-4400 or 800-THE-PORT 

Nationwide Resources:
Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link:



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help. You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at or by calling 888-407-4747. 



Legal Assitance

Reason to Contact:
If you are involved in an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid group may be able to help you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide free legal help or help at a low cost to eligible individuals. Eligibility is mainly based on income and resource limits. There are also rules on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Illinois Family Law

Illinois Legislative Branch

Illinois Supreme Court

Bibliography of Family Law Materials 

Illinois Judicial Branch

Illinois State Bar Association

Illinois Attorney General

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Crime Victims Compensation Bureau
Office of the Attorney General
100 West Randolph, 13th Floor
Chicago, IL 60601-3397
Phone: 312-814-2581 or 800-228-3368, from the home page click on the “Helping Crime Victims” link

Locator Service
Phone: 1-800-447-4278


Resource for State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resource below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note: the resource below may not be current and may change at any time. This resource is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. 

Non-Profit Organization

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street, Suite 125
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-224-2150

Last Updated: April 10, 2024