Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program

For Immediate Assistance

If you have immediate concerns about international parental child abduction and wish to speak to someone, call 1-888-407-4747 and ask to speak to a Prevention Officer.

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) allows the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues to contact the enrolling parent(s) or legal guardians(s) to verify whether the parental consent requirement for minor passport issuance has been met when a passport application has been submitted for an enrolled child. In addition, upon a child’s enrollment in the CPIAP, we may alert the enrolling parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of a pending passport application and past passport issuances for the child. Only U.S. citizens or children who qualify for U.S. citizenship under the age of 18 can be enrolled in the CPIAP.

To enroll your child in CPIAP:

1. Download and complete the CPIAP request form, DS-3077  (one per child).

2. Send proof of your identity using one of the following documents:      

- Your driver's license
- Your passport, or
- Other form of photo identification with signature

3. Provide documentary evidence of your legal relationship to the child, such as:

- Child’s birth certificate,
- Current custody/guardianship/adoption court order(s) from a court of competent jurisdiction,
- Evidence of authority to act on behalf of parent or legal custodian, or
- Affidavit of Paternity

4. Send us your completed request form and supporting documents using one of the options listed below. We can process your child’s enrollment more quickly when you email your documents.

- Email:
- Fax: Unable to receive faxes at this time
- Mail:

U.S. Department of State
Overseas Citizen Services Office of Children’s Issues
Attention: CPIAP
SA-17, 9th Floor
2201 C Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20522


Please immediately inform the Office of Children’s Issues of any changes to your contact information and submit any additional documents relevant to the application or issuance of a passport to your child. Additional documents may include, but are not limited to, divorce decrees, custody orders, protective orders, warrants, and police reports. Failure to do so may result in your child being issued a U.S. passport without notice to you and/or without your consent. It is your responsibility to immediately provide our office with all relevant and up-to-date information. To update information with our office, please send an email to PreventAbduction1@state.govor call 1-888-407-4747

Last Updated: November 13, 2023