State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Missouri State Highway Patrol
Missing Persons Unit
P. O. Box 568
Jefferson City, MO  65102
Phone: (573) 526-6178
1-800-877-3452 (nationwide)
Fax: (573) 526-5577


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Offices

FBI Kansas City
1300 Summit
Kansas City, MO 64105-1362
Phone: (816) 512-8200

FBI St. Louis
2222 Market Street
St. Louis, MO 63103-2516
Phone: (314) 589-2500

State Patrol
Phone: 1-800-525-5555
(573) 751-3313

Department of Public Safety

Department of Transportation

Port Authorities
Missouri Port Authority

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:  http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at PreventAbduction@state.gov or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Lambert-ST Louis International Airport
General number: (314) 426-800
Airport Police Department phone number: Non-emergency (314)890-1370
Emergency: (314) 426-8100

Kansas City International Airport
Airport Police Phone Number: (816)243-5237


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Missouri General Assembly

Missouri Judicial Branch

Supreme Court
Phone: (573) 751-4144

The Missouri Bar
Phone: (573) 635-4128
Fax: (573) 635-2811

Missouri Attorney General

Locator Service
Child Support Enforcement
615 Howerton Court
P.O. Box 2320
Jefferson City, MO 65102-2320
Phone: (573) 751-4301  

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Department of Public Safety
Crime Victims' Compensation
P.O. Box 1589
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1589
Phone: (573) 526-6006

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)

Last Updated: October 16, 2018