International Parental Child Abduction





State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Wisconsin Department of Justice
Division of Criminal Investigation
P. O. Box 7857                                            
Madison, WI 53707   
Phone: (608) 266-1221
1-800-THE-HOPE (in-state only)
Fax: (608) 267-2779                   


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Milwaukee Field Office
330 E. Kilbourn Ave, Suite 600
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Phone: (414) 276-4684
Fax: (414) 291-2400

State Patrol
Wisconsin Department of Transportation State Patrol
Phone: (608) 266-3212
Fax: (608) 267-4495

Department of Public Safety
State of Wisconsin Health and Safety

Department of Transportation
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Phone: (608) 266-1466

Wisconsin Department of Justice

Division of Criminal Investigation

Port Authorities

The Port of Milwaukee
Phone: (414) 286-3511
Fax: (414) 286-8506

Brown County (Green Bay) Port Authority
Phone: (920) 492-4950
Fax: (920) 492-4957

Duluth Seaway Port Authorities
Phone: (218) 727-8525
1-800- 232-0703
Fax: (218) 727-6888

Marinette Port Authority
Phone:  (715) 732-5120 

Sturgeon Bay Port Authority
Phone:  (920) 746-2914
Fax: (920) 746-2906

Manitowoc Port Authority
Phone:  (920) 686-6930
Fax: (920) 686-6939

Praire Du Chien Port Authority
Phone:  (608) 326-6471
Fax:  (608) 326-8955

LaCrosse Port Authority
Phone:  (608) 784-1711
Fax: (608) 784-1712

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Austin Straubel International Airport, Green Bay (GRB)
Phone: (920) 498-4800 
Fax: (920) 498-8799

Brown County Sheriff’s Department
Phone: (920) 448-4200
Fax: (920) 448-4206

General Mitchell International Airport, Milwaukee (MKE)
Phone: (414) 747-5300
Lost & Found: (414) 238-6015

Milwaukee Police Department
Phone: (414) 933-4444


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Wisconsin State Law Library
Family Law

Wisconsin State Legislature
In Madison: 266-9960

Wisconsin Court System

Wisconsin Supreme Court
Phone: (608) 266-1880


State Bar of Wisconsin
Phone: 1-800- 728-7788

Wisconsin Department of Justice

Milwaukee Legal Resource Center  
901 North 9th Street, Milwaukee, WI
Phone: (414) 278-4900

Dane County Legal Resource Center  
1007, 215 South Hamilton Street, Madison, WI
Phone: (608) 266-6316

Locator Service
Bureau of Child Support
Department of Children and Families
PO Box 8916
Madison, WI 53708-8916
Phone: (608) 267-3905
Fax: (608) 266-6836

Compensation Program For Crime Victims
Office of Crime Victim Services
PO Box 7951
Madison, WI 53707-7951
Phone: 1-800-446-6564

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)