District of Columbia


State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

D.C. Metropolitan Police Department
Missing Persons/Youth Division
1700 Rhode Island Avenue, N.E.
Washington, DC  20018
Phone: (202) 576-6768
Fax: (202) 676-6561


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Washington Field Office
601 4th Street NW
Washington, DC 20535
Phone: (202) 278-2000
Fax: (202) 278-2478
E-mail: washington.field@ic.fbi.gov

Metropolitan Police Department
Government of the District of Columbia
Phone:(202) 727-9099 or (202) 727-9524
Email: mpd@dc.gov

Department of Transportation
Phone: (202) 673-6813
Fax: (202) 671-0650
TTY: (202) 673-6813
Email: ddot@dc.gov

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:  http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at PreventAbduction1@state.gov or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Phone: (703) 572-2700
Lost and Found: (703) 572-8479
Airport Police: (703) 572-2400


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Council of the District of Columbia
Phone: (202) 724-8080
Fax: (202) 347-3070
Email: dccouncil@dccouncil.us

DC Courts
Phone: (202) 879-1010
Superior Court
Clerk of the Court: (202) 879-1400
TTY: (202) 879-1232

Locator Service
Child Support Services Division
441 4th Street NW
Suite 550N
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 442-9900

Compensation Program For Crime Victims
Crime Victims Compensation Program
Court Building A
515 5th Street, NW, Room 109
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 879-4216
Fax: (202) 879-4230

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)