State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Washington State Patrol
Missing Persons Unit
P.O. Box 2347
Olympia, WA 98507-2347
1-800- 543-5678 (nationwide)
Fax: (360) 704-2971


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Seattle Field Office
1110 3rd Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: (206) 622-0460
E-mail: Seattle.fbi@ic.fbi.gov

State Patrol
Washington State Patrol
Phone: (360) 596-4000
Missing Children: 1-800-543-5678
Investigative Services Bureau

Department of Transportation
Washington State Department of Transportation
Phone: (360) 705-7000

Port Authorities

Port of Seattle
Phone: (206) 787-3000
Police Department
Phone: (206) 787-3490 (after hours, press option 5 to be connected to the Police Communications Center)

Port of Bellingham
Phone: (360) 676-2500
Fax: (360) 671-6411
Email: info@portofbellingham.com

Port of Tacoma
Phone: (253) 383-5841

Port of Vancouver USA
Phone: (360) 693-3611
Fax: (360) 735-1565
Email: info@portvanusa.com

Port of Anacortes
Phone: (360) 293-3134
Fax: (360) 293-9608

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:  http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at PreventAbduction@state.gov or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Bellingham International Airport, Bellingham (BLI)
4255 Mitchell Way
Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 671-5674
After-hours Emergency: (360) 676-2500 ext.321
Email: info@portofbellingham.com
Bellingham Police Department
Phone: (360) 778-8800
Email: police@cob.org

William R. Fairchild International Airport, Port Angeles (CLM)
1402 Fairchild International Airport Rd.
Port Angeles, WA 98363
Phone: (360) 417-3363
Fax: (360) 417-3461
Port Angeles Police Department
Phone: (360) 452-4545
Email: police@cityofpa.us

King County International Airport, Seattle (BFI)
General information: (206) 296-7380
Airport Administration Office: (206) 296-7380
TTY: (206) 296-0100
Fax: (206) 296-0190
King County Sheriff
Phone: (206) 296-7392
Non-Emergency Dispatch: (206) 296-3311

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Seattle/ Tacoma (SEA)
Phone: (206) 787-3490
1-800- 544-1965
Airport Police Contact Number: (206) 787-5400
Port of Seattle Police Department
Phone: (206) 787-3490

Spokane International Airport, Spokane (GEG) 
9000 West Airport Drive
Spokane, WA 99224
Phone: (509) 455-6455
Airport Police: (509) 455-6429 Fax (509) 455-6436
Spokane Police Department
Phone: (509) 477-5980


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Family Law Handbook
http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/content/pdf/FLHBMarriageSummaryBrochure.pdf#search=Family Law Handbook

Marian Gould Gallagher Law Library
University of Washington School of Law
University of Washington Law Library

Washington State Legislature
Phone: (360) 786-7573
TTY: 1-800-635-9993
Email: support@leg.wa.gov

Washington State Courts
Phone: (360) 753-3365
Fax: (360) 956-5700
Supreme Court
Phone: (360) 357-2077
Email: Supreme@courts.wa.gov

Washington State Bar Association
1- 800-945-WSBA (9722)
Local: (206) 443-WSBA (9722)
Fax (206) 727-8319 (206) 727-8325
Office of Disciplinary Counsel: (206) 727-8313 (Regulatory Services – includes licensing and admissions)
E-mail questions@wsba.org  

Washington State Office of the Attorney General
Phone: (360) 753-6200

Locator Service
Division of Child Support
Washington State Department of Social and Health Services
PO Box 11520
Tacoma, WA 98411-5520
Phone: 1-800-922-4306/(360) 664-5321
Fax: (360) 664-5303

Compensation Program For Crime Victims
Crime Victim Compensation Program
PO Box 44520
Olympia, WA 98504-4520
Phone: 1-800-762-3716
Fax: (360) 902-5355

Non-Profit Organizations
Operation Lookout/National Center for Missing Youth
6320 Evergreen Way, Suite 201
Everett, WA 98203-4560
1-800-LOOKOUT (566-5688)
1-800-782-SEEK (7335)
(425) 771-7335
Fax: (425) 348-4411

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)

Last Updated: December 27, 2018