State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Connecticut State Police
Missing Persons
P.O. Box 2794
Middletown, CT  06457-9294
Phone: (860) 685-8190
1-800-367-5678 (in-state only)
Fax: (860) 685-8346



Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
FBI New Haven
600 State Street
New Haven, CT 06511-6505
Phone: (203) 777-6311

State Patrol
Connecticut State Police
Office of Field Operations Telephone: (860) 685-8190

Department of Public Safety
Phone: (860) 685-8190

Department of Transportation

Port Authorities

New Haven Port Authority
Phone: (203) 946-6778

Bridgeport Port Authority
Phone: (203) 576-7179FBI Field Office
South Dakota is under the purview of FBI Minneapolis
FBI Minneapolis
1501 Freeway Boulevard
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55430
Phone: (763) 569-8000

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Bradley International Airport, Windsor Locks (BDL)
General Information Number: (860) 292-2000
Airport Police: (860) 292-7400

Windsor Locks Police Department
Phone: (860) 627-1461
Fax Number:  (860) 292-6389


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Connecticut Judicial Branch Law Library

Self-Help Materials

Connecticut General Assembly

Connecticut Judicial Branch

Connecticut Supreme Court

Connecticut Bar Association

Connecticut Office of the Attorney General

Locator Service
Bureau of Child Support Enforcement
State of Connecticut Department of Social Services
3580 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06120-1187
Phone: (860) 723-1000

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Office of Victim Services
225 Spring Street, 4th Floor
Wethersfield, CT 06109-3418
Phone: (860) 263-2761
1-888-286-7347 (in-state only)

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referralrral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)