State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.  

Colorado Bureau of Investigation 
710 Kipling Street, Suite 200 
Denver, CO 80215 
Phone:  303-239-4201 


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. 

FBI Field Office
Denver Field Office
8000 East 36th Avenue
Denver, CO 80238
Phone: 303-629-7171

State Patrol
Colorado State Patrol

Department of Public Safety
Colorado Department of Public Safety (CDPS)
700 Kipling, Ste 1000
Lakewood, CO 80215

Department of Transportation
Colorado Department of Public Safety
4201 E Arkansas Ave
Denver, CO 80222
Phone: 303-757-9011

Nationwide resources:
Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link:



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at or by calling 888-407-4747. 


Legal Assistance

Reason to Contact:
If you are involved in an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid group may be able to help you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide free legal help or help at a low cost to eligible individuals. Eligibility is mainly based on income and resource limits. There are also rules on the types of cases they will take.

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Colorado Divorce and Family Law Guide 

Colorado State Judicial Branch 
Phone:  303-861-1111 or 800-888-0001 

Colorado Supreme Court 
Phone:  303-837-3790 
Self-Help Forms 
Colorado Bar Association 
Phone:  303-860-1115 
Colorado State Attorney General 
Phone:  303-866-4500 
Locator Service 
Division of Child Support Enforcement 
Colorado Department of Human Services 
1575 Sherman Street, 5th Floor 
Denver, CO 80203-1702 
Phone:  303-866-4300 
Compensation Program For Crime Victims 
Office for Victims Programs 
Division of Criminal Justice 
700 Kipling Street, Suite 1000 
Denver, CO 80215-5897 
Phone:  303-239-5719 or 888-282-1080


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resources below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time. These materials are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. 

Non-Profit Organizations 
Missing Children Task Force 
5596 S. Sycamore St. Suite C 
Littleton, CO 80120 
Phone: (720) 641-6432

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street Suite #125
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-5950
Phone:  703-224-2150   

Last Updated: April 4, 2024