State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Kentucky State Police
KY State Clearinghouse
1266 Louisville Road
Frankfort KY 40601
Phone: (502) 564-1020
Fax: (502) 564-9664


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Louisville Division
12401 Sycamore Station Place
Louisville, KY 40299-6198
Phone: (502) 263-6000
Fax: (502) 263-6245

State Patrol
Kentucky State Police Headquarters
919 Versailles Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 782-1800

Department of Public Safety
Kentucky Justice and Public Safety Cabinet
Office of the Secretary
125 Holmes Street
Frankfort, KY 40601-2108
Phone: (502) 564-7554
Fax: (502) 564-4840

Department of Transportation
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Phone: (502) 564-4890

Port Authorities
Kentucky Association of River ports

Louisville Regional Airport Authority

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, Covington (CVG)
Phone: (859) 767-3151
Airport Police: (859) 767-3123
Boone County Sheriff
Phone: (859) 334-2175
Fax: (859) 334-2234

Louisville International Airport, Louisville (SDF)
Louisville Regional Airport Authority
700 Administration Drive
Louisville, KY 40209
Phone: (502) 368-6524
Fax: (502) 367-0199
Airport Police: (502) 380-8264


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Kentucky Office of the Attorney General
Phone: (502) 696-5300
Fax: (502) 564-2894      
Department of Criminal Investigations

Kentucky Legislature
Legislative Message Line: 1-800-372-7181
TTY Message Line: 1-800-896-0305
En Español: 1-866-840-6574

Kentucky Court of Justice
Phone: (502) 573-2350
Family Court

Kentucky State Bar Association
Phone: (502) 564-3795

Locator Service
Child Support Enforcement
Department of Income Support
PO Box 2150
Frankfort, KY 40602-2150
Phone: 1-800-248-1163

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Crime Victims Compensation Board
130 Brighton Park Boulevard
Frankfort, KY 40601-3714
Phone: (502) 573-2290
Fax: (502) 573-4817

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral

Exploited Children’s Help Organization, Inc.
1500 Poplar Level Road, Suite 2
Louisville, KY 40217-1311
Phone: (502) 636-3670
Fax: (502) 636-3673


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)