State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Alabama Bureau of Investigation/Missing Children
P.O. Box 1511
Montgomery, AL  36102-1511
Phone: 1 (800) 228-7688


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Offices

Birmingham Field Office
1000 18th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203

Phone: (205) 326-6166

Fax: (205) 279-1590      


Mobile Field Office
200 North Royal Street                                                                                                                                      

Mobile, AL 36602                                                                                                                                            

Phone: (251) 438-3674                                                                                                                                              

Fax: (251) 415-3235


State Patrol
Highway Patrol Headquarters

301 South Ripley Street

Montgomery, AL 36104

Phone: (334) 242-4393

Department of Public Safety

Alabama Department of Public Safety

Phone: (334) 517-2800
Email: Alabama Law Enforcement Agency

Department of Transportation
Alabama Department of Transportation
Phone: (334) 242-6787


Port Authority

Alabama State Port Authority

General Information: (888) 251-5755

Port Police: (251) 441-7777


Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport, Birmingham (BHM)

Birmingham Airport Authority 

5900 Messer Airport Highway

Birmingham, AL 35212

Phone: (205) 595-0533

Fax: (205) 599-0538



Hunstville International Airport, Hunstville (HSV)

1000 Glenn Hearn Blvd. 

Box 20008

Huntsville, AL. USA 35824

Phone: (256) 772-9395

Fax: (256) 772-0305


Huntsville Police Department

General Information: (256) 427-7009 or (256) 427-7114




Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.


Alabama State Legislature
House Information: (334) 242-7600

Senate Information: (334) 242-7800

University of Alabama Law Clinic

Phone: (205) 348-4960


Administrative Office of Courts for Alabama's Judicial System

Phone: (334) 959-5000

Toll-free: (866) 954-9411


Supreme Court of Alabama

Phone: (334) 229-0700

Alabama State Bar Association

Phone: (334) 269-1515

Toll-free: (800) 354-6154

Alabama Family Law Section

Phone: (205) 803-3500

State of Alabama Attorney General's Office

Phone: (334) 242-7300

Locator Service
Alabama Department of Human Resources

Child Support Enforcement Division

PO Box 304000

Montgomery, Alabama 36130-4000

Phone: (334) 242-9300

Fax: (334) 242-0606


Compensation Program for Crime Victims

Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission
5845 Carmichael Road

Montgomery, AL 36117-2329

Phone: (334) 290-4420
Fax: (334) 290-4455


Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)