State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.

Idaho State Police 
Missing Persons Clearinghouse 
700 S. Stratford Dr. Ste.120 
Meridian, ID 83642 
Phone: 208-884-7137


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. 

FBI Field Office
Idaho falls under the purview of FBI Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Field Office
257 East 200 South, Suite 1200
Salt Lake City, UT 84111-2048
Phone: 801-579-1400

State Patrol
Idaho State Police
Phone: 208-884-7000

Department of Transportation
Idaho Transportation Department
Phone: 208-334-8000

Port Authorities

Port of Lewiston

1626 6th Ave. N
Lewiston, Idaho 83501
Phone: (208) 743-5531

Nationwide Resources: 
Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link: 



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help. You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at or by calling 888-407-4747. 


Legal Assistance

Reason to Contact:
If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals. Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Idaho State Judiciary
Phone: 208-334-2246

Self-Help Center, Idaho Supreme Court

Idaho State Bar
Phone: 208-334-4500

Idaho Office of the Attorney General
700 W. Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: 208-334-2400

Locator Service
Bureau of Child Support Services
Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
Phone: 800-356-9868

Compensation Program For Crime Victims
Idaho Industrial Commission
Crime Victims Compensation Program
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0041
Phone: 208-334-6080 or 800-950-2110


Resource of State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resource below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note:  the resource below may not be current and may change at any time This resource is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.  

Non-Profit Organization

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street, Suite 125
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-224-2150   

Last Updated: April 9, 2024