New Jersey


State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.

New Jersey State Police
Missing Persons Unit
P. O. Box 7068
W. Trenton, NJ 08628
Phone: 609-882-2000 ext. 2554 or 800-709-7090 


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. 

FBI Field Office
FBI Newark
11 Centre Place
Newark, NJ 07102-9889
Phone: 973-792-3000

State Patrol
New Jersey State Police
Phone: 609-882-2000

Department of Public Safety
Office of the Attorney General
Phone: 609-292-4925

Department of Transportation  

Port Authorities

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

Port Authority Police Department

Delaware River Port Authority

Nationwide Resources: 
Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link:



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help. You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at or by calling 888-407-4747. 


Legal Assistance

Reason to Contact:
If you are involved in an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid group may be able to help you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide free legal help or help at a low cost to eligible individuals. Eligibility is mainly based on income and resource limits. There are also rules on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Rutgers Law Library
Guide to New Jersey Family Law
Rutgers Law Library | Rutgers Law

New Jersey Legislature
Phone: 609-847-3905 or 800-792-8630          

New Jersey Judiciary

New Jersey State Bar Association
Phone 732-249-5000

New Jersey Office of the Attorney General

Locator Service
Office of Child Support
Department of Human Services
PO Box 716
Trenton, NJ 08625-0716
Phone: 609-588-2915 or 877-NJ KIDS 1 (655-4371)

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Victims of Crime Compensation Office
Address 1: 50 Park Place, Newark, NJ 07102
Address 2: 25 Market Street, 7th Floor West Wing, Trenton, NJ 08625
Phone: 877-658-2221


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resource below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note: the resource below may not be current and may change at any time. This resource is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. 

Non-Profit Organization

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street, Suite 125
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-224-2150  

Last Updated: April 23, 2024