State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.  

Coordinator Michigan Amber Alert Plan
Coordinator Michigan's Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
Michigan State Police MIOC
714 South Harrison
East Lansing, MI 48823
Phone: 517-241-7183


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database.

FBI Field Office
Detroit Field Office
477 Michigan Avenue, Fl. 26
Detroit, Michigan 48226
Phone: 313-965-2323

State Patrol
Michigan State Police
Phone: 517-332-2521 or 800-525-5555

Department of Public Safety
Michigan Department of Community Health-Public Safety & Environmental Health

Department of Transportation
Michigan Department of Transportation
Phone: 517-373-2090

Nationwide Resources:
Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link: http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help. You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at PreventAbduction@state.gov or by calling 888-407-4747. 


Legal Assistance

Reason to Contact:
If you are involved in an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid group may be able to help you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide free legal help or help at a low cost to eligible individuals. Eligibility is mainly based on income and resource limits. There are also rules on the types of cases they will take.  

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Michigan Legislature

Michigan Supreme Court

Self-Help Center

Michigan Courts

State Bar of Michigan
Phone: 517-346-6300 or 800- 968-1442
Family Law

Michigan Office of the Attorney General

American Bar Association
Section of Family Law

Locator Service
Office of Child Support
Department of Human Services
PO Box 30037
Lansing, MI 48909-7537
Phone: 517-373-2035
www.michigan.gov/dhs, in the “Search” field on the home page type
“Child Support”

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Crime Victim Services Commission
320 South Walnut Street
Lansing, MI 48933-2014
Phone: 517-373-7373
www.michigan.gov/mdch, in the “Search” field on the home page type
“Crime Victim Services Commission”


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resource below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note: the resource below may not be current and may change at any time. This resource is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. 

Non-Profit Organization

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street, Suite 125
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-224-2150

Last Updated: April 15, 2024