State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to contact:

A state clearinghouse is an entity (usually law enforcement) that provides help in cases of parental child abduction.  For abductions TO the United States, they can help locate a child.  For abductions FROM the United States, they may serve as a resource to left-behind parents in filing missing person reports.

Indiana State Police
Indiana Missing Children Clearinghouse
100 North Senate Avenue
Third Floor
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2259
Phone: (317) 232-8310
(800) 831-8953 (nationwide)
Fax: (317) 233-3057


Law Enforcement

Reason to contact:

Contact your local police to file a missing person's report and request that your child's name be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer database. 

FBI Field Office
Indianapolis Field Office
8825 Nelson B. Klein Pkwy. 
Indianapolis, IN 46250
Phone: (317) 595-4000
Fax: (317) 845-7105

State Patrol
1-317-232-8248 (24 hour number)

Dept. of Public Safety
Indiana Department of Public Safety
Phone: 1-800-457-8283

Port Authorities

Ports of Indiana
Phone: (317) 232-9200
Toll-free: (800) 232-PORT
Fax: (317) 232-0137

Michigan City Port Authority
Phone: (219) 872-1712
Fax:     (219) 873-3250

City of Portage Port Authority
6070 Central Avenue
Portage, IN 46368
Police Department: 219-762-3122
2693 Irving St #P
Portage, IN 46368

Perry County Port Authority
926 S. Boundary St, P.O.  Box 423
Tell City IN  47586
Phone: 812-547-3586
Fax: 812-547-6266

Country-wide resources:
Removing, or attempting to remove, a child from the United States or retaining a child outside of the United States with the intent to obstruct parental rights is a Federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204).  The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has jurisdictional authority for investigating Federal crimes.  FBI field offices are located throughout the U.S. and should be contacted if you have questions or believe your child has been or will be abducted outside of the United States.  To locate the FBI field office closest to you, access this link:



Reason to contact:

If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of a possible abduction, contact the airport to request assistance.  You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed.  You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you as you undertake this process at or by calling 888-407-4747. 

Fort Wayne International Airport, Fort Wayne (FWA)
Phone: (260) 747-4146
Fort Wayne Police Department
Non-Emergencies: (260) 427-1222

Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis (IND)
Phone: 317-487-7243
Administrative offices: 317-487-9594
Airport Police Department: 317-487-5084
Indianapolis Police Department Marion County’s Sheriff’s Department
Marion County’s Sheriff’s Department
40 South Alabama Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204-3672
Phone: 317-327-1700

County of Hamilton
Airport Authority
Phone: 317-776-8244,
Fax: 317-776-8454
Sheriff’s Office
Phone: (317) 773-1872,
Fax: (317) 776-9835


Legal Aid

Reason to contact:

If you are party to an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid organization may be able to assist you with your legal representation.  Legal aid organizations provide legal assistance for free or for a reduced charge to eligible individuals.  Eligibility is generally based on income and resource ceilings as well as restrictions on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Indiana General Assembly

Indiana Courts

Indiana Supreme Court

Indiana State Bar Association

Office of the Attorney General

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Violent Crime Victim Compensation Division
East Tower
101 West Washington Street, Suite 1170
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2038
1-800-353-1484, from the home page click on the “Victim Services” link

Non-Profit Organizations
Contact Association of Missing and Exploited Children’s Organizations (AMECO) toll-free at 1-877-263-2620 for a referral


Resources for State Statutes

Reason to contact:

The resources below may be a good starting place for determining whether statutes regarding abduction prevention exist in your state.  You may want to consult the website for the Attorney General’s Office of your state or with an attorney licensed to practice law in your state.  (Please note: the resources below may not be current and may change at any time.  They are provided for informational purposes only, and are not intended to consist of legal advice).

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCAPA) – Enactment by state

Family Abduction: Prevention and Response (6th Ed)