State Clearinghouse on Missing Children

Reason to Contact:
A state clearinghouse is usually run by law enforcement. It provides help in cases of parental child abduction. For abductions from another country to the United States, they can help locate a child. For abductions from the United States to another country, they can help parents in filing missing person reports.  

Georgia Bureau of Investigation                    
Intelligence Unit
3121 Panthersville Road                    
Decatur, GA 30034
404- 244-2554 or 800-282-6564


Law Enforcement

Reason to Contact:
Contact your local police to file a missing person's report. Ask them to enter your child's name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. 

FBI Field Office
Atlanta Field Office
2635 Century Parkway N.E.
Suite 400
Atlanta, GA 30345
Phone: 404-679-9000

Department of Public Safety
Georgia Department of Public Safety
Phone: 404-624-7000 or 800-443-6077

State Patrol
Georgia State Patrol
Field Operations Phone: 404- 624-7451

Department of Transportation
Georgia Department of Transportation
Phone: 404-631-1990

Port Authorities

Georgia Ports Authority
Please note: You must contact your local law enforcement agency or district attorney to request an investigation.

Nationwide resources: 

Taking a child from the United States, or attempting to, is a federal crime. So is keeping a child outside of the United States to block parental rights. These acts are crimes under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 U.S.C. 1204). The FBI has jurisdictional authority to investigate federal crimes. If you have questions or believe someone has abducted your child outside of the United States or is planning to do so, contact a FBI field office in the United States. To find the FBI field office nearest to you, use this link:



Reason to Contact:
If you know your child is being taken to the airport as part of possible abduction, contact the airport for help. You should have copies of all custody and legal documents ready to send by email or fax, if needed. You can contact the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues to assist you with this process. You can reach them at or by calling 888-407-4747. 


Legal Assistance

Reason to Contact:
If you are involved in an international parental child abduction case in the United States or abroad, a legal aid group may be able to help you with your legal representation. Legal aid organizations provide free legal help or help at a low cost to eligible individuals. Eligibility is mainly based on income and resource limits. There are also rules on the types of cases they will take. 

For information about legal aid and other legal referral resources, visit

Follow the prompts for the particular state in which you are seeking legal services.

Judicial Branch of Georgia
Self Help Resources
Administrative Office of the Courts of Georgia
Phone: 404-656-5171 or 404-463-6788

Georgia General Assembly

Supreme Court of Georgia
Phone: 404-656-3470

State Bar of Georgia
Phone: 404-527-8700 or 800-334-6865

Office of Attorney General of Georgia
40 Capital Square, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: 404-656-3300

Locator Service
Office of Child Support Services
Georgia Department of Human Resources
PO Box 38450
Atlanta, GA 30334-0450
Phone: 404-657-3851;jsessionid=cf0d1e9e75a08ffffffffc5d3c9e28e6400d:ymHt

Compensation Program for Crime Victims
Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
104 Marietta Street, Suite 440
Atlanta, GA 30303-2743
Phone: 404-657-2222 or 800-547-0060 (victims only)


Resource for State Statutes

Reason to Contact:
The resource below may help you determine your state custody laws and if your state has laws on abduction prevention. You may also want to consult the Attorney General’s Office website of your state or contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Please note: the resource below may not be current and may change at any time. This resource is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.  

Non-Profit Organization

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
333 John Carlyle Street, Suite 125
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-224-2150  

Last Updated: April 8, 2024