Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Republic of Sudan

Reconsider travel to Sudan due to terrorism and civil unrest. Some areas have increased risk. Please read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

  • The Darfur region, Blue Nile state, and Southern Kordofan state due to crime a

Reconsider travel to Sudan due to terrorism and civil unrest. Some areas have increased risk. Please read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

  • The Darfur region, Blue Nile state, and Southern Kordofan state due to crime and armed conflict.

Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Sudan, especially in Khartoum. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting foreign and local government facilities, and areas frequented by Westerners. Terrorists groups in Sudan have stated their intent to harm Westerners and Western interests through suicide operations, bombings, shootings, and kidnappings.  

There is a state of emergency in place, which gives security forces greater arrest powers. Arbitrary detentions, including of foreigners, have been reported across the country. Curfews may be imposed with little or no warning.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Sudan, as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization from the Sudanese government to travel outside of Khartoum. The U.S. Embassy requires U.S. government personnel in Sudan to use armored vehicles for official travel. Family members under 21 years of age cannot accompany U.S. government employees who work in Sudan.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Sudan:

  • Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
  • Draft a will and designate appropriate insurance beneficiaries and/or power of attorney.
  • Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings, non-liquid assets (collections, artwork, etc.), funeral wishes, and etcetera.
  • Share important documents, login information, and points of contact with loved ones so that they can manage your affairs if you are unable to return as planned to the United States. Find a suggested list of such documents here.
  • Be sure to appoint one family member to serve as the point of contact with hostage-takers, media, U.S. and host country government agencies, and Members of Congress, if you are taken hostage or detained.
  • Establish a proof of life protocol with your loved ones, so that if you are taken hostage, your loved ones can know specific questions and answers to ask the hostage-takers to be sure that you are alive and to rule out a hoax.
  • Leave DNA samples with your medical provider in case it is necessary for your family to access them.
  • Erase any sensitive photos, comments, or other materials from your social media pages, cameras, laptops, and other electronic devices that could be considered controversial or provocative by local groups.
  • Leave your expensive/sentimental belongings behind.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Sudan.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.  Review the Traveler’s Checklist.


The Darfur States, Blue Nile State, and Southern Kordofan State

Violent crime, such as kidnapping, armed robbery, home invasion, and carjacking, is particularly prevalent in the Darfur region. Westerners are frequently targeted.

Tensions remain high between the government of Sudan and opposition forces and violence continues along the border between Chad and Sudan and areas that border South Sudan (including the disputed area of Abyei).

Quick Facts

6 months beyond date of departure from Sudan


2 pages 




MMR, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis, varicella (chickenpox), polio, Hep. A, typhoid, yellow fever, cholera





Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Khartoum

Kilo 10, Soba
Khartoum, Sudan
Telephone: +249-187-0-22000; (Sunday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +249-187-0-22000

Destination Description

See our Fact Sheet on Sudan for information on U.S. - Sudanese relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Requirements for Entry:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • World Health Organization (WHO) card with yellow fever/cholera vaccination when arriving from a yellow fever/cholera infected area (this does not include the U.S.)


The Government of Sudan requires U.S. citizens to:

  • Obtain an entry visa from a Sudanese embassy before arriving in Sudan.
  • Present a passport with at least 6 months validity, and an entry visa or entry permit upon arrival at any port of entry in Sudan.
  • Register at the Aliens Department at the Ministry of Interior within three days of your arrival or risk being fined.

There are two exceptions to this requirement: U.S. citizens possessing a Sudanese national identification document (such as a Sudanese passport or national identification card), and travelers with a sponsor (a business or organization) that has obtained an entry permit for them in advance from the Sudanese Ministry of Interior may apply for an entry visa at Khartoum International Airport.  

Visit the Embassy of Sudan website for the most current visa information. Overseas inquiries should be made at the nearest Sudanese Embassy or Consulate.

Travel permits: A permit from the Ministry of Tourism is required for travel more than 16 miles (25 km) outside of Khartoum and can be obtained by your hotel or travel agent. A separate travel permit is required for travel to Darfur. Travel outside of Khartoum for any other purpose must be approved by the Aliens Department at the Ministry of Interior.

Our ability to provide consular services outside of Khartoum, including emergency assistance, is severely limited. Travelers without permits have been detained and arrested (carry multiple copies). You must register with the police within 24 hours of arrival anywhere outside Khartoum.

There are no currency restrictions for entry or exit, but travelers carrying large amounts of U.S. currency have been detained. 

Previous travel to Israel: If your passport has an Israeli visa or Israeli entry/exit stamps you will not be permitted to enter.

Exit Visas: You must obtain an exit visa at the Aliens Department before departing the country and pay any airport departure tax, which is not included in your airline ticket fee.

Women and Children: Women and their children, regardless of their nationality, must have the father's consent to enter and exit Sudan - despite the custodial rights granted to the mother by any Sudanese, U.S., or other court. The husbands of women often use this law to prevent their wives and children from returning to the United States. Contact the Sudanese Embassy for more information.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors and foreign residents of Sudan. Sudanese law requires a negative HIV test result in order to obtain a work or residence visa.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

See the Travel Warning for Sudan.

The possibility of violent civil unrest, armed conflict, and criminal activity are present in the contested regions in Darfur and in Blue Nile and South Kordofan states. Violent crimes targeting Westerners, including kidnappings, armed robberies, home invasions, and carjacking occur everywhere in Sudan but are particularly prevalent in the Darfur region. Intercommunal violence targets civilians in opposing villages and towns. Government and security facilities have been attacked. There are landmines in rural areas; Southern Kordofan and the Eastern States including along the Eritrean border are the most affected. Border closures may occur without notice.

Terrorist groups are active in Sudan and have stated their intent to harm Westerners and Western interests through suicide operations, bombings, shootings, and kidnappings.

Blue Nile region (Blue Nile, Sennar, and White Nile states) and Southern Kordofan region (includes Abyei region, and the states of North Kordofan, South Kordofan, and West Kordofan): In January 2017 the government of Sudan announced it would continue its unilateral cessation of hostilities with armed rebels throughout the areas in question until July 2017. While the incidence of violence has reduced significantly from previous years, tensions remain high. 

Darfur (all five states): The government of Sudan in January 2017 announced it would continue its unilateral cessation of hostilities with armed rebels  throughout the areas in question until July 2017. However, humanitarian workers and UN peacekeepers have been killed, kidnapped, car-jacked, robbed, and their homes have been burgled. Deadly intercommunal conflict continues, as does violence perpetrated by bandits and government-supported militias.  Conflict over economic resources (including land and gold) also is common. Tensions within camps for internally displaced people have resulted in fatalities and violence.

Kassala region (Kassala, Al Qadarif/Gedaref, and Red Sea states): Humanitarian workers have been the target of attacks. There is cross-border militant activity. Human traffickers operate in the Kassala area near the Eritrean border - stay on major roads if you are traveling by road.

State of Emergency: A state of emergency, which gives security forces greater powers of arrest, remains in place. Arbitrary detentions in different parts of the country, including of foreigners, have been reported. Curfews may be imposed with little or no warning.

Demonstrations, including anti-West rallies, can occur on short notice. Foreigners could be targeted in reaction to national and international events. Take particular care in the period surrounding Friday prayers.


  • Avoid demonstrations and public gatherings. Even events intended to be peaceful can become violent and turn deadly.
  • Monitor local and international news from reliable sources and consular messages
  • Follow the advice of local authorities.
  • Maintain several days’ stock of food and water, and stay indoors until the demonstration has passed.
  • Keep a low profile and observe all curfews.

Piracy: The threat of piracy exists in the southern Red Sea. See the International Maritime Bureau's Live Piracy Report.


Khartoum: There is a risk of kidnapping. Pickpockets, purse snatching, and theft from vehicles are common.

Elsewhere: Violent crime is rampant throughout western Sudan, particularly in the Darfur and Chad–Sudan border regions, where several incidents have resulted in deaths. Rape is a serious problem throughout the country and sexual assault is more prevalent in areas of armed conflict. Westerners face a high risk of kidnapping. Car jackings and armed robberies occur in western and eastern Sudan.

  • Avoid walking or traveling alone, especially after dark and particularly outside of Khartoum.
  • Do not display cash and valuable personal property.
  • Dress conservatively. 
  • Drive with doors and windows locked.
  • Travel with a copy of your U.S. passport and Sudanese visa to prevent the originals from being taken. Keep original documents in a secure location.
  • Travelers who do not use the services of reputable travel firms or knowledgeable guides or drivers are especially at risk.

Victims of Crime:

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault or domestic violence should first contact the U.S. Embassy.

Report crimes to the local police at 999, and contact the U.S. Embassy at +249-1-870-22000. Dial 777 to contact the police in an emergency throughout Sudan 998 for fire and 333 for medical emergencies. Emergency services and the telephone network are unreliable.

Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. You may be taken in for questioning by the police if unable to produce an acceptable form of identification.  Convictions for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs result in long jail sentences and heavy fines. Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Photography: Photography requires a permit from the External Information Centre in Khartoum (part of the Ministry of Information). Even with a permit, it is illegal to take pictures of military installations, public utilities, infrastructure (e.g., bridges, airports), slum areas, or beggars. Do not take photographs or use equipment with cameras (including cell phone camera and laptops) close to government buildings. You could be fined, have your photographic equipment confiscated without notice, and risk detention and arrest. Do not take photos of Sudanese without their permission.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Sudanese law enforcement officials routinely block consular access to foreign nationals in detention. The U.S. Embassy may not receive notification or be allowed to visit you in prison. Moreover, dual U.S.-Sudanese nationals may be treated as solely Sudanese citizens, impeding our ability to visit you or provide consular services.

Sharia Law/Customs: Personal status laws govern legal procedures pertaining to family relations, including marriage, divorce, child custody, maintenance (financial support), and inheritance. We strongly advise that you seek local legal counsel if you must engage in local legal matters and make certain you are aware of your rights and responsibilities.

National laws reflect a sharia system of jurisprudence. Other criminal and civil laws, including public order laws, based largely on the government’s interpretation of Islamic law, are determined at the state level. Non-Muslims are sometimes held to the same laws. Flogging is a common sentence for various crimes and may be summarily carried out.

Non-Muslim women are not expected to wear a veil or cover their heads, but both women and men should dress modestly. Shorts are not appropriate. Public displays of affection are discouraged. Alcohol and pornography are not permitted. Government offices and businesses follow an Islamic workweek (Sunday to Thursday). 

Phone Service: Cellular phones are the norm, as other telephone service is unreliable and landlines are nearly non-existent. It may be possible to purchase a SIM card locally and use a U.S.-compatible cell phone.


  • The Sudanese pound (SDG) is the official currency.
  • It is still a cash economy- you won’t be able to use credit or debit cards.
  • Carry sufficient funds in U.S. dollars to cover all your expenses for the duration of your stay.
  • Bills should be printed after 2006 and unblemished.
  • Sudan has no international ATMs, and local ATMs draw on local banks only.
  • Exchange currency only at reputable banks.
  • Western Union operates in Khartoum only.
  • Travelers carrying large amounts of U.S. currency have been detained for questioning.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There was at least one confirmed case of an individual detained, beaten, and harassed by authorities because of his suspected affiliation with LGBTI-friendly groups. LGBTI organizations have felt pressured to suspend or alter their activities due to threat of harm. Several LGBTI persons have felt compelled to leave the country due to fear of persecution, intimidation, or harassment. Those complicit in discrimination or abuses are not investigated or punished.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Access to transportation, lodging, and public buildings is limited. There are few sidewalks and no curb-cuts, and most buildings lack functioning elevators.

Women Travelers: Early and forced marriage of children continues in Sudan. The national prevalence rate of Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting is 88 percent. Prevalence varies from 99.4 per cent in Northern State to 68.4 per cent in Western Darfur. Spousal abuse is common.

Women who file claims of domestic violence are subjected to accusations of lying or spreading false information, harassment, and detention. Police normally do not intervene in domestic disputes. Rape is a serious problem throughout the country, especially in conflict areas. Investigative and prosecuting authorities often obstruct access to justice for rape victims. A woman who accuses a man of rape and fails to prove her case may be tried for adultery or arrested for “illegal pregnancy”.

See our travel tips for Women Travelers.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.


Consult the CDC website for Sudan prior to travel.

Medical facilities in Khartoum are adequate but the hospitals are not suitable for more serious medical problems. Outside the capital, few facilities exist, hospitals and clinics are poorly equipped and ambulance services are not available. Medicines are available only intermittently. Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. Be sure to verify with Sudanese customs your medications are legal before you travel.

You are responsible for all medical costs. U.S. Medicare does not cover you overseas.

Emergency medical treatment is provided for 24 hours before payment is required. All other care providers expect payment in Sudanese pounds in full before treatment is performed.

Medical Insurance: If your health insurance plan does not provide coverage overseas, we strongly recommend supplemental medical insurance and medical evacuation plans.

Malaria is widespread throughout the country. Use mosquito repellents containing at least 20 percent DEET. Sleep under insecticide-impregnated mosquito nets. Chemoprophylaxis is strongly recommended prior to arriving in Sudan and for the duration of your stay.

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:

  • Road conditions are poor and traffic accidents common.
  • Driving is hazardous due to excessive speeds, erratic driver behavior, pedestrians, animals in the roadways, and vehicles that are overloaded or lack basic safety equipment.
  • Look out for donkey carts and rickshaws.
  • Only major highways and some streets in the cities are paved; others are narrow and rutted.
  • While there are functioning traffic signals and street lights on major thoroughfares in Khartoum, there are virtually none in other parts of the country.
  • A four-wheel-drive vehicle is required except on the Khartoum–Kassala–Port Sudan, Khartoum–Atbara, and Khartoum–El Obeid highways.
  • South of Khartoum road conditions deteriorate significantly during the rainy season from October to May, and dust storms (“haboobs”) greatly reduce visibility.
  • Travel outside of Khartoum should be undertaken with a minimum of two vehicles to mitigate the threat of roadside bandits.
  • Carry GPS, additional fuel, spare tires, and provisions.
  • Professional roadside assistance service is not available.

Landmines: Exercise caution in remote areas or off main roads outside of Khartoum. Landmines are most common in the Eastern states and Southern Kordofan. Stay on main roads marked as cleared by a competent de-mining authority.

Traffic Laws:

An international driving permit or Sudanese license and third-party liability insurance from the government is required. You may use a U.S. driver's license for up to 90 days. You can get a local driving license from the police traffic department. It is illegal to use a cell phone while driving.

Comprehensive insurance is recommended because many local drivers carry no insurance.

Accidents: In the event of an automobile accident, remain inside the vehicle and wait for police. If a hostile mob forms or you feel your safety is in danger, leave the scene and proceed directly to the nearest police station. Do not stop at the scene of an accident or at intersections where people have gathered, as mobs can develop quickly.

Public Transportation:

Avoid travel by public transportation. Any form of public transportation is unregulated, unreliable, and generally unsafe.

Taxis: Taxis are unsafe and you should not use them. Hire private transport from a reliable source: your company’s in-country staff, travel agencies, and local hotels may be able to arrange private transport on your behalf.

Trains: There is weekly passenger train service from Khartoum to Wadi Halfa and to Port Sudan. Trains are dilapidated.

See our Road Safety page for more information

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Sudan, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Sudan’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Khartoum

Kilo 10, Soba
Khartoum, Sudan
Telephone: +249-187-0-22000; (Sunday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +249-187-0-22000

General Information

For information concerning travel to Sudan including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Sudan. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Sudan is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Sudan and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  The government of Sudan maintains information about custody, visitation, and family law on the Internet on the Sudanese Ministry of Justice website. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Sudan and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.


Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, Floor 9
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-736-9132
Email: AskCI@state.gov

Parental child abduction is a crime in Sudan. 

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Sudan and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Sudan for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Sudan are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan, posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation is a possible remedy for abduction and access cases. Mediation in cases about children is done by the Personal Status Court in Sudan, which always considers the child’s best interest. In most cases that do not go through this court, mediation can be  done by family or tribal elders.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information



Sudan is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the accreditation requirement and standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also apply in non-Convention or “orphan” cases. The UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider acts as a primary provider in every case, and that adoption service providers providing adoption services on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents should review the State Department’s Universal Accreditation Act of 2012webpage for further information. Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600. However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the USCIS website on the impact on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications under the UAA, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the Convention home study requirements, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Sudan. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Sudan should contact the adoption authority of Sudan to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Sudan, who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Sudan’s adoption authority.

Adoption is not allowed for Muslim children but may be allowed for non-Muslim children, insofar as the religious laws of the child’s denomination allow. A child whose religion is unknown is automatically considered to be Muslim. Sudanese law also allows for a court appointed “caretaker” (similar to a legal guardian in the United States) to oversee the welfare and upbringing of a child until he or she reaches the age of legal majority (21 years of age). To qualify as a caretaker or adoptive parent, the applicant must be between 30 and 50 years of age, with a good reputation and behavior. Unmarried men are not eligible, while unmarried women may be eligible with the authorization of their father. Children over 14 years of age may not be placed in the custody of a caretaker or adoptive parent. In the case of Muslim children, the caretaker must be both Muslim and Sudanese or from Sudanese background. In addition to contacting the adoption authority regarding applicable laws and procedures, prospective adoptive parents may wish to, but are not required to, consult with a local attorney prior to taking any action. The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum maintains a list of lawyers for the convenience of U.S. citizens seeking local legal advisers. This list does not imply a recommendation or endorsement of specific attorneys by the Embassy.



U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Sudan, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.


Who Can Adopt

In addition to being found suitable and eligible to adopt by USCIS, prospective adoptive parents seeking to adopt from Sudan must meet the following requirements:

  • Residency:  None specified. 
  • Age of Adopting Parents:  To qualify as a caretaker or adoptive parent, the applicant must be between 30 and 50 years of age, with a good reputation and behavior.  
  • Marriage:  Unmarried men are not eligible, while unmarried women may be eligible with the authorization of their father.  
  • Income:  None specified. 
  • Other:  None specified.
Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to qualifying as an orphan under U.S. immigration law, the child must meet the following requirements of Sudan: 

Relinquishment: None specified. 

Abandonment: None specified. 

Age of Adoptive Child: Children over 14 years of age may not be placed in the custody of a caretaker or adoptive parent. Please note that for a child to meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law, a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, must be filed on the child’s behalf while the child is under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if the child is the birth sibling of another adopted child who has immigrated or will immigrate based on adoption by the same adoptive parent(s)). 

  • Sibling Adoptions: None specified. 
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: None specified. 
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: None specified.

 Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are eligible for adoption. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren).

How to Adopt

Sudan’s Adoption Authority

Social Services Supervisor of the Governorate for the Province where the adopted child resides. There is no central, national authority.

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Sudan generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt (Form I-600A)
  3. Apply to Sudan’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Sudan (or Obtain Legal Custody of the Child for Purposes of Emigration and Adoption)
  5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible to Immigrate to the United States as an Orphan (Form I-600)
  6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

1.  Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider

Before taking steps to adopt a child from Sudan, you should select a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case. As of July 14, 2014, a primary provider is required in every intercountry adoption case under the UAA, unless an exception applies. The primary provider is responsible for:

Ensuring that all six adoption services defined at 22 CFR 96.2 are provided;

Supervising and being responsible for supervised providers where used (see 22 CFR 96.14); and

Developing and implementing a service plan in accordance with 22 CFR 96.44.

For more information on primary providers and the UAA, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012

2.  Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Sudan, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Sudan and U.S. immigration law.  

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also choose to file a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, with USCIS to be found suitable and eligible to adopt before you identify a child to adopt. You may also choose to file the Form I-600 petition along with all the required Form I-600A application supporting documentation, including an approved home study, once you have been matched with a child and have obtained all the necessary documentation. Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options. Regardless of which approach you take, the home study must meet the same requirements. As of July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, the home study must comply with the requirements in 8 CFR 204.311 and 22 CFR Part 96.47

3.  Apply to Sudan’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child

If you are found suitable and eligible to adopt under U.S. law, you must also submit an adoption application to the Social Services Supervisor of the Governorate for the Province where the adopted child resides to be found eligible to adopt by Sudan. 

If a child is eligible for intercountry adoption, the competent adoption authority or other authorized entity in Sudan will review your adoption dossier. We encourage families to consult with a medical professional and their adoption service provider to understand the needs of the specific child but each family must decide for itself whether it will be able to meet the needs of, and provide a permanent home for, a specific child, and must conform to the recommendations in the home study for the number of children and capacity to deal with any special needs of an adoptive child. Learn more about Health Considerations

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Sudan’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law.

4.  Adopt the Child in Sudan

The process for finalizing the adoption in Sudan generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Agencies:

Starting July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, there must be a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider acting as the primary provider in every case. Also, any agency or person providing an adoption service on behalf of prospective adoptive parents in any Convention or non-Convention case must be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider.

Adoption service means any one of the following six services: 

  1. Identifying a child for adoption and arranging an adoption;
  2. Securing the necessary consent to termination of parental rights and to adoption;
  3. Performing a background study on a child or a home study on a prospective adoptive parent(s), and reporting on such a study;
  4. Making non-judicial determinations of the best interests of a child and the appropriateness of an adoptive placement for the child;
  5. Monitoring a case after a child has been placed with prospective adoptive parent(s) until final adoption; or
  6. When necessary because of a disruption before final adoption, assuming custody and providing (including facilitating the provision of) child care or any other social service pending an alternative placement. 22 CFR 96.2 Definitions.
  • Adoption Application: Please contact the adoption authority regarding applicable laws and procedures. 
  • Adoption Fees: Please contact the adoption authority regarding applicable fees. 
  • Prospective adoptive parents are advised to obtain detailed receipts for all fees and donations paid, either by themselves directly or through their U.S. adoption service provider, and to raise any concerns regarding any payment that you believe may be contrary to U.S. law, or the law of Sudan, with your adoption service provider. Please also refer to information concerning the Hague Complaint Registry. Improper payments may have the appearance of buying achild, violate applicable law, and could put all future adoptions in Sudan at risk.  The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, for instance, makes it unlawful to bribe foreign government officials to obtain or retain business. Further, the UAA and IAA make it unlawful to improperly influence relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing Central Authority functions. 
  • Documents Required: Please contact the adoption authority regarding required documents.
  •  Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. The U.S Department of State’s Authentications Office has information on the subject. 

5.  Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States as an Orphan

After you finalize the adoption, or gain legal custody for purposes of emigration and adoption in Sudan, USCIS must determine whether the child meets the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order for the child to immigrate to the United States. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. At the time you file your Form I-600 petition, the adjudicating officer will determine whether the UAA applies or if your case is UAA grandfathered.  For more information on UAA grandfathering and transition cases, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. Unless an exception applies, you must identify a primary provider in your case and the adjudicating officer may ask for the name and contact information of the primary provider if not provided in your Form I-600 petition. This information is required and, without it, your Form I-600 petition cannot be approved.  

If you have an approved, valid Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, you may file your Form I-600 petition either in the United States with USCIS or in person at the U.S.Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan. 

When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by USCIS in the United States, the consular section in Khartoum, Sudan must complete a Form I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption (sometimes informally referred to as an orphan determination), to verify the child’s orphan status. When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by an international USCIS office, USCIS generally completes the Form I-604 determination. 

For Form I-600 petitions filed with the Embassy’s consular section, the consular officer must complete the Form I-604 determination after you file your Form I-600 petition. Conducting the Form I-604 determination is a critical part of the orphan adoption process. It can take months to complete, depending upon the circumstances of your case. Consular officers appreciate that families are eager to bring their adopted child home as quickly as possible. Some of the factors that may contribute to the length of the process include prevailing fraud patterns in the country of origin, civil unrest or security concerns that restrict travel to certain areas of the country, and the number of determinations performed by available staff. Consular officers make every effort to conduct them as quickly and thoroughly as possible. You are advised to keep your travel plans flexible while awaiting the results. 

6.  Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

Now that your adoption is complete and the Form I-604 determination has been completed finding that your child meets the legal definition of an orphan for immigration purposes, there are a few more steps to take before you and your child can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

Birth Certificate

If you have finalized the adoption in Sudan, you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child. 

Sudan Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Sudan. Please contact the adoption authority regarding applicable laws and procedures. 

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. [Embassy/Consulate] in [City]. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you and be admitted to the United States as your child. As part of this process, you must provide the consular officer the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child. 

Before coming for your child’s immigrant visa interview, please complete an Electronic Immigrant Visa Application (DS-260) online at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). If you filed a Form I-600 petition in the United States, you should receive a letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) confirming receipt of the petition and assignment of a case number and an invoice ID number. You will need this information to log into CEAC to file the DS-260 for your child. An adoptive parent should fill out these forms in your child's name. Answer every item on the form. If information is not applicable, please write “N/A” in the block. Print and bring the DS-260 form confirmation page to the visa interview. Please review the DS-260 FAQs, our Online Immigrant Visa Forms page, or contact the NVC at NVCAdoptions@state.gov or +1-603-334-0700 if you have questions about completing the online DS-260 form. 

It is not usually possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the same day as the immigrant visa interview. Adoptive parents should verify current processing times with the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum before making final travel arrangements.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: An adopted child residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence generally will acquire U.S. citizenship automatically upon entry into the United States if the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, including the child is under the age of eighteen. 

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: You will need to complete an adoption following your child’s entry into the United States and before the child turns eighteen for the child (if he or she otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000) to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship. 

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Once your child has acquired U.S. citizenship, s/he will need a U.S. passport for any international travel. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. 

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Department of State’s Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Sudan

In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Sudan, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country.  The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country in the world about various issues, including health conditions, crime, currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State through our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country.  Enrollment makes it possible for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Sudan, to contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin.  Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.  Your primary provider can provide or point you to post- placement/post-adoption services to help your adopted child and your family transition smoothly and deal effectively with the many adjustments required in an intercountry adoption.  

Here are some places to start your support group search: 

 Note:  Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.


If you have concerns about your adoption process, we ask that you share this information with the Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan, particularly if it involves possible fraud or misconduct specific to your child’s case.  The Department of State takes all allegations of fraud or misconduct seriously.  Our Adoption Comment Page provides several points of contact for adoptive families to comment on their adoption service provider, their experience applying for their child’s visa, or about the Form I-600 petition process. 

The Hague Complaint Registry is an internet based registry for filing complaints about U.S. accredited or approved adoption service providers.  If you think your provider's conduct may have been out of substantial compliance with accreditation standards, first submit your complaint in writing directly to your provider.  If the complaint is not resolved through the provider's complaint process, you may file the complaint through the Hague Complaint Registry

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Sudan
Kilo 10, Soba, Khartoum, Sudan
Tel: +(249) 1-870-22000 (from outside Sudan); 0-187-022000 (from inside Sudan)
Email: ACSKhartoum@state.gov
Internet: sd.usembassy.gov/

Sudan’s Adoption Authority
The government office responsible for adoptions in Sudan is the Social Services Supervisor of the Governorate for the Province where the adopted child resides. There is no central, national authority.

Embassy of Sudan
2210 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (202) 338-8565
Fax: (202).667-2406

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20522-1709
Email: Adoption@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-600A application or I-600 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None One 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None One 3 Months
C-1 None One 3 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None One 3 Months
C-3 None One 3 Months
CW-1 11 None One 3 Months
CW-2 11 None One 3 Months
D None Multiple 6 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None Multiple 6 Months
F-2 None Multiple 6 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None One 3 Months 3
H-1C None One 3 Months 3
H-2A None One 3 Months 3
H-2B None One 3 Months 3
H-2R None One 3 Months 3
H-3 None One 3 Months 3
H-4 None One 3 Months 3
I None One 3 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 6 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 6 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None One 6 Months
K-4 None One 6 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 6 Months
M-2 None Multiple 6 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None One 3 Months 3
O-2 None One 3 Months 3
O-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-1 None One 3 Months 3
P-2 None One 3 Months 3
P-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-4 None One 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None One 3 Months 3
R-1 None One 3 Months
R-2 None One 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None One 3 Months
V-2 None One 3 Months 8
V-3 None One 3 Months 8
Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

NOTE: There is currently on-going conflict in the states of Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile. Civilians in rebel-controlled areas of these states do not receive or have access to government services. Accordingly, birth, marriage, divorce, and military records may not be available to certain residents in these states.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Birth certificates are available through the Department of Statistics, Ministry of Social Affairs. When official records are not available, persons born in the Southern Sudan can often obtain birth certificates issued by various mission authorities.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Available. Marriages in Sudan are conducted by religious authorities and those certificates may be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for submission to foreign government authorities. Certificates of Divorce may be obtained from the court that granted the divorce.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records


Military Records

Available. Each person discharged from the Sudan Defense Force or from the Sudan Police is issued a discharge certificate. Duplicates can be obtained by applying to the appropriate headquarters.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Travel Document Information

Sudanese machine readable passports do not always provide a full English translation of Arabic names. Post may issue visas in the new passports if the consular officer is satisfied that the passport accurately reflects the bearer's identity. When the passport does not contain a full English translation of the bearer's name and the consular officer cannot determine the applicant's true identity, post should request the applicant, if otherwise qualified, return with a passport containing the appropriate amendment, i.e. providing a translation of the entire name of the bearer from Arabic to English. 

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Khartoum, Sudan (Embassy) -- All categories of NIV and IV

Street Address:
Kilo 10, off Wad Medani Highway, Soba
Khartoum, Sudan

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 699, Kilo 10, Soba, Khartoum, Sudan

Tel: (249) 1-870-22000

E-mail: KhartoumNIV@state.gov

Hours of Operation: 8 am to 4:30 pm, Sunday through Thursday.

Visa Services

The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum currently processes NIV and IV applications in all categories for all of Sudan.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 338-8565 (202) 667-2406

New York, NY (212) 573-6033 (212) 573-6160

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Khartoum
Kilo 10, Soba
Khartoum, Sudan
Sudan Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.