U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Slovak Republic
Exercise normal precautions in Slovakia.

Exercise normal precautions in Slovakia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Slovakia:

Quick Facts

Six months recommended


One page required for entry stamp


Not required for stays less than 90 days within a six-month period 




10,000 euros 


10,000 euros 

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Bratislava

Hviezdoslavovo námestie 4,
811 02 Bratislava
Telephone: +(421) (2) 5443 0861 or +(421) (2) 5443 3338
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(421) 903 703 666
Fax: +(421) (2) 5441 8861

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Slovakia for information on U.S. - Slovakia relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Slovakia website for the most current visa information.

Slovakia is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Slovakia for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. We recommend at least six months of validity. You need sufficient funds and a return airline ticket. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

  • Carry proof of sufficient funds (such as a credit card) and a medical insurance policy that covers all costs for hospitalization and medical treatment in Slovakia.
  • Upon arrival in Slovakia, you must register with the local Border and Alien Police within three working days if you stay in a private home. Hotels and official accommodation providers will register you automatically.
  • If you want to reside in Slovakia or stay longer than 90 days, you must apply for a temporary residency and/or work permit soon after arrival. Read the requirements on the U.S. Embassy website and prepare your application before traveling.  Many required documents, such as an FBI clearance, are easier to obtain in the United States. To follow up on the status of a request, please contact the FBI directly at identity@jc.fbi.gov.
  • Slovak authorities strictly enforce residency laws. Foreigners who stay beyond 90 days without a residency permit may be ordered to depart, or may even be deported with a possible ban on re-entry to the entire Schengen area.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Slovakia.

  • A medical examination, including an HIV/AIDS test, is required to obtain a Slovakian residency permit.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.

Civil disorder is rare in Slovakia, although strikes and demonstrations may occur. Even demonstrations or gatherins intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.  You should exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Please see the U.S. Embassy’s website for safety and security messages.

Crime: While crime is relatively low, street crimes against tourists do occur in tourist areas.

  • The most common crimes reported include pickpocketing and cell phone and bag/purse theft, particularly during the summer months. Most thefts reported by U.S. citizens occur at crowded tourists sites (such as Bratislava’s Old Town area) or on public buses, trams, or trains.
  • Be alert to criminal schemes. Thieves, including adults and/or children, often work in groups or pairs. In many cases, an individual or group distracts the victim, sometimes with musical instruments or pets, so that others can pickpocket.
  • Criminals target tourists at nightclubs with scams involving overpriced drinks.
  • Foreigners and minorities, particularly non-Caucasians, have been victims of racially motivated incidents, including harassment and verbal abuse.
  • Domestic and foreign organized criminal organizations are well established in Slovakia.  Though uncommon, violent incidents sometimes do occur.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:  Report crimes to the local police by dialing 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(421) (2) 5443-0861 or +(421) (2) 5443-3338.  The Embassy’s emergency after-hours number is +(421) 903-703-666.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

  • English-speaking operators are normally available for emergency calls.
  • Once an individual reports a crime, the police must investigate it according to local laws and procedures.
  • Embassy employees are not able to act as your personal legal representatives or resolve private legal disputes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

  • Do not purchase counterfeit or pirated goods. They are illegal in the United States and you may be breaking local laws as well.
  • Driving under the influence is a crime and may land you in jail. The blood alcohol tolerance level is zero percent.
  • It is illegal to take photographs of security/military installations. If you violate this law, authorities may confiscate the pictures/recordings, issue a reprimand or fine, or even expel you from the country.
  • If you are over 15, you are required by law to carry a passport and/or a Slovak identity card at all times. A photocopy of your passport is not sufficient, although we recommend that you keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place.
  • Slovak customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning temporary import or export of firearms, antiquities, medications, business equipment, et al. Contact the Embassy of Slovakia or a Slovak consulate in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Slovak law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity and classifies crimes based on sexual orientation as hate crimes, though these laws are not always enforced. Prejudice and societal discrimination persist. There are occasional reports of gay slurs or altercations between LGBTI persons and extremists. Pride parades are now annual events in Bratislava and Kosice. The parades have continued without major incident since 2010. Same-sex sexual activity between consenting adults is legal. However, in 2014, the Government of Slovakia adopted a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, and it does not recognize same-sex unions.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Slovak law requires that public areas be accessible to persons with disabilities. However, regulations have only been in force for about a decade, and many older buildings and areas have not been retrofitted.

  • Many sidewalks are narrow and uneven, and small towns may lack sidewalks.
  • Public transportation and the railway system are good methods of traveling, but most stations lack elevators and do not provide easy access for people with mobility issues.
  • Only a few buses are equipped with lowering platforms, while trams are not.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


The quality and availability of medical facilities varies. A limited number of doctors speak English.

  • For any emergency, including medical emergencies, call 112.
  • English-speaking dispatchers are usually available.
  • Individuals with medical emergencies are transported to one of four main hospitals in Bratislava:
    • Petrzalka
    • Kramare
    • Ruzinov
    • Old Town
  • Children’s emergencies are handled at Bratislava’s Children’s University Hospital.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

  • Doctors, hospitals, and ambulance services in Slovakia expect cash payment unless the patient can present an insurance number from the Slovak National Insurance Company.
  • Without Slovak health insurance, ambulance service starts at 120 euros per transport.
  • You may need special insurance for hiking and skiing, which is available from local providers.
  • If you stay longer than 90 days, you need local health insurance.
  • Tick-borne encephalitis vaccination is recommended.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Embassy of Slovakia in Washington D.C. or the Slovak Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs to ensure the medication is legal in Slovakia. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

The following diseas is prevalent:

  • Tick-borne encephalitis

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Roads in Slovakia are generally safe and well-maintained. Four-lane highways exist in and around Bratislava. Most roads outside of developed areas, however, are two lanes only.  Aggressive drivers attempting to pass at unsafe speeds pose a serious hazard.

  • Use caution when driving outside urban areas at night. The roads are narrow, winding, and poorly lit.
  • From November through March, Slovakia experiences heavy snow. Snow removal is not adequate on rural roads. Roads in the mountainous northern part of the country are particularly prone to hazardous conditions during winter months. The law requires winter tires for snowy conditions, and chains are necessary in certain mountainous areas.

Traffic Laws: You must use seatbelts and headlights at all times. It is illegal to use cellular phones while driving.

  • Children under 12 who weigh less than 80 pounds or are under 4’11” must be in a car seat or use a booster.
  • You must have a motorcycle license and wear a helmet to operate a motorized two-wheeled vehicle.
  • Reflective safety vests and first aid kits must be in each vehicle.
  • Driving under the influence of ANY alcohol is a crime under Slovak law. The blood alcohol tolerance level is zero percent. Police stop cars randomly to perform breath tests.
  • If you get a ticket, you can pay the fine in cash on the spot to the officer. If you cannot pay the fine on the spot, you will receive a notice to appear later at a police station, and the fine will be higher.  Reportedly, foreigners are sometimes targeted for additional sums.
  • As of January 1, 2016, you need to buy an electronic vignette to use certain highways and motorways. You can purchase it online.

You must obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) prior to your arrival if you intend to drive in Slovakia. You can get an IDP in the United States from the American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance.

  • U.S. citizen visitors may drive with a valid U.S. state license, if accompanied by a valid IDP for the duration of their 90-day stay. Visitors who are long-term residents in Slovakia must apply to exchange their U.S. state driver’s license for a Slovak driver’s license within a specified time period after receiving a residency permit.
    • More information is available from the Dopravny Inspektorat at the district police department in your place of residence.
  • For specific information concerning a Slovak driver’s permit, vehicle inspection, road tax, and mandatory insurance, contact the Embassy of Slovakia in Washington, D.C.
  • Additional information about driving in Slovakia can be found on the Embassy website.

Public Transportation: Buses, trolleybuses, and trams are mechanically safe and generally reliable. We recommend using clearly marked taxicabs.

  • On public transportation, you must validate a ticket upon entering the vehicle. The ticket is valid for your entire journey. Major cities also offer tickets by SMS message through a local telephone service provider.
  • In most cities, you can buy passes valid for periods ranging from 24 hours to one year. Children from six to 15 years of age pay reduced fares.
  • A ticket inspector will fine passengers who are traveling without a valid ticket; inspectors board transportation at random. The ticket inspector will have an identification card and must provide a receipt for the fare.
  • More information is provided in English on the Bratislava city transport website and websites of other cities with public transportation.

See our Road Safety page for more information. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in [country name], the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Slovakia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Bratislava

Hviezdoslavovo námestie 4,
811 02 Bratislava
Telephone: +(421) (2) 5443 0861 or +(421) (2) 5443 3338
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(421) 903 703 666
Fax: +(421) (2) 5441 8861

General Information

Slovakia and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since February 1, 2001.

For information concerning travel to Slovakia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Slovakia.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues, facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Slovakia.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Email: AskCI@state.gov


The Slovak Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Centre for International Legal Protection of Children and Youth (CIPC).  CIPC discharges the obligations of a central authority under the Hague Abduction Convention, including reviewing Hague applications for completeness, initiating location efforts for missing children, and approaching taking parties about whether or not abduction situations may be resolved voluntarily. 

The Slovak Central Authority (SCA) can be reached at:

Centrum pre medzinárodnoprávnu ochranu detí a mládeže
(Centre for International Legal Protection of Children and Youth)
Špitálska 8
P.O. Box 57
814 99 Bratislava
Tel.:  +421 (2) 2046 3208
Fax:  +421 (2) 5975 3258
E-mail: cipc@cipc.gov.sk

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Slovakia, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the SCA.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the SCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes.  It is extremely important that each document written in English be translated into Slovak prior to court proceedings.  Please note that certified translations are necessary. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Slovak central authorities.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Slovakia.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Slovakia.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

The Slovak system does not require parents or legal guardians to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application with a court. Parents or legal guardians may hire a private attorney to assist them with their case and to advise them as to the best course of action for their individual circumstances. A privately hired attorney should contact the SCA and the USCA as soon as possible after the SCA receives the Hague application. The SCA can provide referrals to assist applicants to find a private attorney. The courts in Slovakia offer free legal aid to those who apply and qualify based on income and other financial factors. Please note, however, that legal aid attorneys may be limited in the number of services offered. The SCA’s role is not to assign attorneys to cases but to facilitate the Hague process until such time as an attorney submits the Hague petition to the Slovak court. 

The U.S. Embassy in Bratislava, Slovakia, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation is available for both abduction and access cases. The SCA provides mediation services directly to parents and legal guardians at no charge, and court mediators are also available. According to Slovak law, charges for non-commercial civil, family, and community matters are set at 20 Euro per hour. Mediation in Slovakia is voluntary and can occur at any stage of the Hague process.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Slovakia is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Slovakia.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Slovakia. Adoptions from Slovakia are rare; fewer than five adoptions by U.S. citizen parents have taken place since 2006. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Slovakia should contact the Central Authority of Slovakia to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Slovakia who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Slovakia’s Central Authority.  See contact information below.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Slovakia and the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava’s website for information on consular services.

NOTE: Slovakia requires bilateral agreement or equivalent act before accepting applications from another country including the United States.

WARNING: The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Slovakia’s Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Slovakia where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States. This letter will inform the Slovakia’s Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Slovakia before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember: The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

Slovakia’s Adoption Authority
Centrum pre medzinárodnoprávnu ochranu detí a mládeže
(Centre for International Legal Protection of Children and Youth)
Špitálska 8
P.O. Box 57
814 99 Bratislava
Tel.:  +421(2)59753208 / +421(2)59753248
Fax:  +421(2)59753258
E-mail: cipc@cipc.gov.sk
Internet: www.cipc.sk

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 48 Months A
A-2 None Multiple 48 Months A
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 120 Months
C-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-3 None Multiple 120 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 None Multiple 24 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 48 Months A
G-2 None Multiple 48 Months A
G-3 None Multiple 48 Months A
G-4 None Multiple 48 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 None Multiple 12 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 24 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes
  1. Validity should be equivalent to the applicant's length of assignment, but may not exceed 48 months.

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Persons not physically present in Slovakia may apply for the required documents through Slovakian diplomatic or consular representatives abroad. In case the document needs to be "super-legalized", it must be authenticated by the Slovakian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The application in this case must be made on a form prescribed by the Slovakian authorities and obtainable from the diplomatic representative. Six weeks to six months is the normal time required to obtain public documents after the application has been submitted by the diplomatic representative to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates

Available. Certificates of birth and death are issued by the local town hall in the place of birth or death. Documents intended for use abroad can be authenticated by an Apostille in compliance with the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates


Certificates of marriage are issued by the local town hall in the place of marriage. Documents intended for use abroad can be authenticated by an Apostille in compliance with the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.

Divorce Certificates


Each party to a divorce suit, which has taken place before Slovakian courts, may apply for an additional copy of the divorce decree. The original decree is normally delivered to each party provided the address is known. Additional copies of divorce decrees are subject to fees.

Note: Persons not physically present in Slovakia may apply through the Slovak Embassy in Washington www.mzv.sk/washington or on-line directly through the web page of the vital records office in the place of the birth-marriage-death in Slovakia. Normal processing time is 1-2 weeks. The issuance fee can be paid by a deposit to the vital records office bank account.


Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Certificates



Police clearance is available and reliable in Slovakia. Application for police clearance must be accompanied by an identification document, birth certificate and fee. The records are indexed by name, date and place of birth. An application may be filed either in Slovakia or at the Slovak Embassy abroad, and is issued to each applicant over 15 years of age. Police clearances are issued by local regional branches of the Slovak General Prosecution, located in each regional city, at IOMO type post offices and at Municipal offices which has also a Vital Record function. Issuance of records is possible upon request and usually is immediate. If the application is filed from abroad, it takes longer.


Military Records



A person who served in the Slovak (or previous Czechoslovak military) may request his/her own records. Persons residing outside of Slovakia may apply through the nearest Slovak Embassy.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Bratislava, Slovak Republic (Embassy)

Hviezdoslavovo namestie #4
Bratislava, Slovakia
E-mail: consulbratislava@state.gov
Fax: 421 (2) 5441 8861

Visa Services

All Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visa categories for the Slovak Republic.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 237-1054

New York, NY (212) 286-8434 (212) 286-8439

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Bratislava
Hviezdoslavovo námestie 4,
811 02 Bratislava
+(421) (2) 5443 0861 or +(421) (2) 5443 3338
+(421) 903 703 666
+(421) (2) 5441 8861
Slovakia Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.