Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country



Exercise normal precautions in Ireland. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

Exercise normal precautions in Ireland. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

If you decide to travel to Ireland:

Quick Facts

Valid for the duration of your stay in Ireland


One page






10,000 Euros or equivalent


10,000 Euros or equivalent

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dublin
42 Elgin Rd
Dublin 4
Telephone: +(353) (1) 668-8777
Emergency after-hours telephone: +(353) (1) 668-8777
Fax: +(353) (1) 668-8056
Email: ACSDublin@state.gov

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Ireland for information on U.S.-Ireland relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Ireland’s website for the most current visa information.

  • You must have a valid passport to enter Ireland, but U.S. citizens can enter visa-free for tourism or business stays of up to three months.
  • There is no minimum passport validity for U.S. citizens entering Ireland. We recommend you have a passport that is valid for the duration of your stay, evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay in Ireland, and a return airline ticket.
  • An increased number of U.S. citizens have been refused entry or granted a limited stay because they failed to demonstrate their travel intent to Irish immigration officials at the Port of Entry. You may be asked to provide evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay in Ireland regardless of your purpose of travel. For any travel other than tourism, please ensure you obtain the appropriate documentation prior to travel. You can find more information at the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service website or by contacting your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate in the United States.

We cannot intervene on your behalf when applying for a visa or residency permit, nor can we assist if you are denied entry into Ireland.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Ireland.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction, and U.S. customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.

Crime: Most U.S. citizens visit Ireland without incident. Alhough Ireland has a relatively low rate of violent crime, you should always follow sound personal security practices and maintain awareness of your surroundings when traveling.

  • Rates of theft and petty crime have risen in recent years, and thieves often target rental cars and tourists. In rare cases, these crimes involve physical assault or violence, more commonly in Dublin city center and in popular tourist areas.
  • Rental cars are frequently targeted for crime. They are easily identifiable by the rental company stickers on the rear window of the vehicle. If possible, remove these stickers and always lock your car when leaving it unattended. Do not leave valuables unattended in vehicles. When visiting city center areas, park your car in a secure car park and retain the parking ticket on your person.
  • Keep car doors locked while driving. Don’t leave luggage or valuables visible inside a parked car and don’t leave luggage attached to a roof rack. When picking up and dropping off your rental car, do not leave the keys in the ignition while loading or unloading luggage. We have received reports of cars and belongings being stolen in such situations.
  • Crimes involving ATMs are a concern. Protect your PIN at all times and look closely at ATMs for evidence of tampering before use.
  • Criminals use “skimmers” on ATMs, especially in tourist areas. Skimmers are small electronic devices attached to the outside of an ATM to steal the ATM or credit card data.
  • In busy areas, thieves use distraction techniques, such as waiting until the PIN has been entered and then pointing to money on the ground or asking for loose change. While the ATM user is distracted, another person will quickly withdraw cash and leave. If you are distracted in any way, cancel the transaction immediately.
  • When using credit cards to pay at restaurants, a portable card reader should be brought to your table. Restaurant staff should not take your card elsewhere to process a charge.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police at 999 or 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(353) (1) 668-8777.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide information on victims compensation programs in Ireland:
    • The Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) is a free nationwide service offering support and assistance to tourists who are victimized while visiting Ireland. If you are a tourist victim of crime, report the incident to the nearest Garda (Irish police) station, and they will help you contact ITAS.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our webpage on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Special Circumstances: Most Irish banks will not accept U.S. $100 bills. Many Irish financial institutions no longer accept or cash traveler’s checks. Credit cards are widely accepted throughout Ireland. ATMs are widely available, but some, particularly in rural areas, may not accept debit cards from U.S. banks.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Ireland.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. While in Ireland, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from that in the United States.

  • Irish law requires access to government buildings for persons with disabilities, and this requirement is enforced. Under Irish law, public service providers should ensure the service is accessible to those with mobility, sensory, and/or cognitive impairments.
  • Parking: Local authorities and commercial premises, such as shopping outlets, have no legal obligation to provide external disabled parking facilities for their customers; however, on-street parking, public building parking lots, and internal parking lots always have a certain number of disabled spaces available. A permit is required to use these spaces.
  • Buses and Trains: The majority of buses and trains in the main city areas of Ireland are now equipped for those with limited mobility, sight, or hearing disabilities, although some train stations and pathways may not be as easily accessible.
  • Mainline and suburban trains require special portable ramps to permit boarding from platforms to the carriages. These ramps are available at all terminal points and major junctions and stations that have staff on duty. They are also available on some trains. Travelers are advised to contact Irish Rail in advance to ensure such facilities are available. The website for Dublin Bus provides information on its travel assistance scheme. Regional and intercity bus services are provided by Bus Eireann.
  • Private businesses: Accessibility in private businesses, such as hotels, bed and breakfasts, shops, and restaurants, varies widely. Travelers should inquire about accessibility issues with businesses before making reservations.
  • People who live in Ireland and meet the medical conditions for a disability allowance may apply for free travel passes; there is also a blind/invalidity pension from the Irish Department of Social Protections for those who qualify.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Hospitals in Ireland may not accept U.S. health insurance as payment. Patients are expected to pay all costs up-front at the time of treatment and apply for reimbursement from their own insurance provider later.

  • Modern medical facilities and highly skilled medical practitioners are available in Ireland.
  • Due to high demand, expect long waits for access to medical specialists and admissions to hospitals for non-life-threatening medical conditions. It is not unusual for emergency room (ER) services to be very busy or for post-treatment admissions to include a long wait (sometimes overnight) on a gurney in a hallway.
  • We advise that you carry your medical history, along with a detailed list of any medication you currently take (including dosage and brand name) in your wallet or purse and luggage. If you require medical attention in Ireland, this information will save medical practitioners critical time.
  • Most types of over-the-counter medications are available, but many U.S. brands are not. Some medications available over the counter in the United States may require a prescription in Ireland.
  • Irish pharmacists may not be able to dispense medication prescribed by U.S. physicians and may direct you to obtain a prescription from an Irish doctor.
  • A list of Irish general practitioners in each area of Ireland may be obtained from the website of the Irish College of General Practitioners.
  • We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that Medicare does not cover travelers overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most medical providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Always carry your prescription medication in its original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: While in Ireland, you may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States.

  • Cars drive on the left side of the road in Ireland. If you do not have experience driving on the left, you should be especially cautious as tourists driving on the incorrect side of the road are the cause of several serious accidents each year.
  • Road conditions are generally good, but once you exit the main highways, roads are likely to be narrow, uneven, and winding. Roads are more dangerous during the summer and on holiday weekends. Drivers should be attentive to cyclists and pedestrians, particularly in urban areas.
  • Most intersections in Ireland use circular “roundabouts” instead of signals, and it is important that drivers pay close attention to signs and yield the right of way to those already in the roundabout.
  • Most rental cars in Ireland have manual transmissions; it can be difficult to find automatic transmission rental cars.

Traffic Laws: Police periodically set up road blocks to check for drunk drivers. Penalties for driving under the influence can be severe.

  • At stoplights, turning on a red light is illegal; you must wait for either a full green (any direction turn permitted) or directional green light (which could be straight, left, or right) before proceeding with caution.
  • You may use your existing U.S. driver’s license in Ireland for a temporary stay; this can be for any period of time up to a maximum of one year. Some insurance and car rental companies may request an International Driving Permit in addition to your existing driving license. To apply for an International Driving Permit, please contact the American Automobile Association. You are required to apply for an Irish driver’s license if you become a resident of Ireland.

Public Transportation: Taxi rates vary with time of day and location. Ask your hotel for the number of a call-dispatched taxi service if you plan to be out during less busy times.

  • Intercity bus and train services are generally good.
  • Local bus service in the cities is generally adequate, although many buses are crowded, frequently run late, and lines do not necessarily link easily. Pay close attention to bus stop locations in both directions, as the drop-off and pick-up locations could be several blocks away from each other.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of the Irish Tourism Board and the website for the National Roads Authority of Ireland, which is responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Ireland’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Ireland’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Ireland should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (https:homeport.uscg.mil), and the NGA broadcast warnings website https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal select “broadcast warnings”.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dublin
42 Elgin Rd
Dublin 4
Telephone: +(353) (1) 668-8777
Emergency after-hours telephone: +(353) (1) 668-8777
Fax: +(353) (1) 668-8056
Email: ACSDublin@state.gov

General Information

Ireland and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since October 1, 1991.

For information concerning travel to Ireland, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Ireland.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Ireland.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
2201 C Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20520
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-485-6221

The Irish Central Authority (ICA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Department of Justice and Equality.  The ICA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications.  The ICA will arrange for an attorney to represent each applicant in Hague return proceedings and will review and forward completed applications to the assigned solicitor. The ICA can be reached at:

Department of Justice and Equality
Bishop’s Square
Redmond’s Hill
Dublin 2
Tel:  +353 (1) 4790 200
Fax:  +353 (1) 4790 201

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Ireland, the USCA encourages parents to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the ICA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Irish central authorities.  The central authority in Ireland assigns a solicitor (attorney) to represent parents making an application for return or access under the Hague Abduction Convention.  For applications for return, the ICA provides pro bono (no fee) legal assistance.  For applications for access, applicant parents are responsible for legal fees if they do not qualify for legal aid.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Ireland.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Ireland.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

It is unnecessary for a left-behind parent to retain a private lawyer in Ireland. The Central Authority will arrange for a solicitor (attorney) to represent you in your Hague return application. You will not be charged for such representation. A left-behind parent may retain his/her own solicitor and file a Hague return application directly with the High Court. In that case, the left-behind parent is responsible for all legal costs.

The U.S. Embassy in Dublin, Ireland posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The ICA encourages mediation for all Hague Abduction Convention applications, and both parties are given the opportunity to come to a mutual agreement before the application goes to court.  In general, the parties’ solicitors are responsible for facilitating mediation.  The ICA does not play an active role in this process. 

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Adoption Notice

Bureau of Consular Affairs 
Office of Children's Issues

November 1, 2010

Ireland Ratifies the Hague Adoption Convention

Ireland ratified the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention) and established the new Adoption Authority of Ireland with the enactment of the Adoption Act 2010. The Hague Adoption Convention entered into force for Ireland on November 1, 2010.

Prospective adoptive parents residing in Ireland who wish to adopt from another Hague Convention country, including the United States, after November 1, 2010 should contact the Adoption Authority of Ireland to learn about the Hague Convention requirements.

Adoption Authority of Ireland 
Telephone from Ireland: 01-2309300
Telephone from U.S.: 011-353-1-2309300
Email: info@aai.gov.ie
Website: www.aai.gov.ie

Ireland is considered to be a receiving country, rather than a country of origin of children adopted through intercountry adoption. Only one Irish orphan has been adopted by a U.S. citizen during the past five years.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information
enter text here

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
Q-2 6 None Multiple 36 Months
Q-3 6 None Multiple 36 Months
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Month
U-2 None Multiple 48 Month
U-3 None Multiple 48 Month
U-4 None Multiple 48 Month
U-5 None Multiple 48 Month
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available.  Civil or “Long-form” Irish Birth Certificates

In 2004 the Irish Department of Health - the Health Service Executive (HSE) - introduced a computerized system for recording the registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the Republic of Ireland.  Any record created prior to 2004 has also been transferred to this new electronic State database by scanning the original entries in the Registers for Births, Deaths and Marriages on to the new computerized system.

Certificates are now issued based on these records where a scan of the original Register Entry is printed on to Certificate paper. The Certificates are printed in a secure environment on Certificate Paper which incorporates a variety of security features to prevent fraudulent use of the certificates.

The content of Birth Certificates in Ireland has substantially altered over the decades.

Any birth registered before the 1 OCTOBER 1997 does not provide the following details:

  • A surname of the child (it is assumed that the child takes the surname of the Father when he is named on the Birth Certificate or the surname of Mother if the Father is not named on the Birth Certificate). 
  • Any former surname of the Father.
  • The occupation and address of the mother.

These details are recorded on any birth registered on or after the 1 October 1997.

From 2004 with the introduction of the computerization of civil records in the Rep of Ireland, the Personal Public Service (PPS) number of the parents of a child, along with the maiden name of the mother of both parents of the child was recorded.  From 2004 all Civil Certificates (Domestic Adoption, Birth, Death, Marriage, Stillbirth, Civil Partnership) are issued on A4 sized certificates.

The State no longer issues short birth certificates (A5) which contained limited information and while many are still in circulation these are not acceptable for submitting an application to the Passport Office, or generally other authorities.

The long-form certificates are serially numbered in the upper left-hand corner, and consist of eleven numbered boxes arrayed horizontally on the page. At the bottom of the certificate is the warning that "TO ALTER THIS DOCUMENT OR TO UTTER IT SO ALTERED IS A SERIOUS OFFENSE Certificates, which are generally available for all births from January 1, 1894, can be issued by either the local registry office or the Registrar General in Dublin.   Security features include watermarks and UV images and text.  There is a fee for issuance of a birth certificate, assuming the applicant can provide full name (as given at birth), date of birth, place of birth, and parents' names (including maiden name of mother). A search fee may be incurred if the applicant does not provide full information. There is a fee for additional copies at the time of issuance.

Requests for birth certificates can be made directly to the Registrar General, Joyce House, 8-11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2. D02 Y729. Tel: +353 1-635-4000.  Website: www.groireoand.ie

Death Certificates

Available. Most other civil documents, including adoption, marriage and death certificates, are available from the Registrar General in Dublin and can be obtained using the same procedure as outlined for birth certificates.   Issuance fees apply.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Available. Most other civil documents, including adoption, marriage and death certificates, are available from the Registrar General in Dublin and can be obtained using the same procedure as outlined for birth certificates.   Issuance fees apply.

Adoption Certificates

AAvailable. Most other civil documents, including adoption, marriage and death certificates, are available from the Registrar General in Dublin and can be obtained using the same procedure as outlined for birth certificates.   Issuance fees apply.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. A Police Certificate is issued by the Superintendent in the District where the applicant resides, or formerly resided, in the Republic of Ireland. 

 The certificate is issued free of charge and is issued for the following purposes:-

  • Foreign Consular Authorities
  • Foreign Visas
  • Establishing a Business in other EU States 

Applicants for Police Certificates for these purposes should make application in writing to the Superintendent in charge of the district wherein they reside, or formerly resided, in the Republic of Ireland.  Information on how to request a Police Certificate, the district directory and the name of the Superintendent, is available on the www.garda.ie website.

The Police Certificate shows the following “This certificate is issued solely for the information of the U.S.A. Consular authorities”.  The Police Certificate shows the individual’s full name, date and place of birth and all addresses while residing in Ireland.  Derogatory information is usually listed on the back of the form. To be valid, a district stamp (usually in the lower left hand corner), identifies the issuing Garda Station, signed by the District Superintendent, or his or her deputy.

Court Records

Available.  Court records may be obtained by contacting the court clerk of the court where the case was heard.  Contact information is available on thewww.courts.ie website for all courts listed in the Republic of Ireland. 

Prison Records

Available. A statement of penal servitude may be obtained directly from the prison in question, but the police certificate usually provides details of conviction and sentencing.


Military Records

Available. A special "Record of Service in the Defence Forces" has been devised by Irish authorities to meet U.S. visa requirements. Applicants with military service in the permanent or reserve forces (including the Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil or Slua Muiri) can obtain the form by contacting the Officer in Charge, Enlisted Personnel Section, Defence Forces Headquarters, Infirmary Road, Dublin 8. The applicant must provide the birth date, enlistment date, Army service number, and the name of the unit in which he served. The form is printed on standard, white Irish paper (8-1/4" X 11-3/4") and signed by the Officer in Charge of the Enlisted Personnel Section.

Passports & Other Travel Documents
  • Passport - Only Irish citizens are entitled to hold Irish passports, which are issued for a maximum of 10 years validity. Passports can be issued with shorter validity (3 years) to children under three years and (5 years) to children from 3-17 years.  Passports come in a 34-page standard size and a 66-page large size.
  • Electronic passports (ePassports)
  • In October 2006 the Irish Passport Office began issuing electronic passports (ePassports).  The passport has numerous security features and is valid for a maximum of ten years.  Machine-readable passports issued prior to October 2006, issued for a maximum of ten years are still valid.
  • Passports for Children.  Since October 2004 all children, regardless of age, must obtain an individual Irish passport in their own name.  There are two validity types of passports for children, 3-year passports are available for children under 3, and 5-year passports are available for children aged between 3-17 years.  Children may not be included on a parent’s passport. 
  • Emergency Passport    Introduced in 2004 to facilitate Irish citizens who require a travel document and cannot wait for production and delivery of a new passport.  The 8-page passport incorporates numerous security features and has a maximum validity of 12 months.  Emergency passports may be issued in Ireland or some missions abroad.
  • Emergency Travel Certificate:  In certain circumstances, an Emergency Travel Certificate rather than a passport will be issued by the Irish embassy or Consulate abroad to an Irish citizen who has lost his/her passport.  Emergency Travel Certificates are only valid for one journey.  An Emergency Travel Certificate is not a passport; it is a document (about A5 size) that carries a photograph of the applicant and a stamp from the embassy verifying identity.  Emergency Travel Certificates are generally issued very quickly (depending on the circumstances) and there is a small fee for this service.
Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Dublin, Ireland (Embassy)

42 Elgin Road
Dublin 4, Ireland

Tel: (353) (1) 668-8777 -- after hours (353) (1) 668-9612

Fax: (353) (1) 668-8056

Visa Services

All visa categories for the Republic of Ireland.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 462-3939 (202) 232-5993

Atlanta, GA (404) 554-4980 (678) 235-2201

Boston, MA (617) 267-9330 (617) 267-6375

Chicago, IL (312) 337-2700 (312) 836-1267

New York, NY (212) 319-2555 (212) 980-9475

San Francisco, CA (415) 392-4214 (415) 392-0885

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Dublin
42 Elgin Rd
Dublin 4
+(353) (1) 668-8777
+(353) (1) 668-8777
+(353) (1) 668-8056
Ireland Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.