Tourism & Visit

  • Visa Banner - Tidal Basin

A foreign national traveling to the United States for tourism needs a visitor visa (B-2 or combined B1/B2) unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.

Travel for pleasure or tourism may include a short visit for vacation, visiting family and friends, or for medical treatment.

Visitor Visa for Tourism (B-2 or B1/B2 visa)

For vacation, seeing family and friends, or medical treatment.

  1. Overview
  2. How to Apply
  3. Fees
  4. Required Documentation

Visa Waiver Program VWP

Most citizens of participating countries (see NOTE below)* may travel to the United States for short visits without a visa though the Visa Waiver Program.

Travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program Requires ESTA Approval

Canadian & Bermudian Citizens

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda generally do not need nonimmigrant visas for tourism.

Traveling to the United States for another reason?



* With respect to a "country" or "countries" participating in VWP, it should be noted that the Taiwan Relations Act of 1979, Pub. L. No. 96-8, Section 4(b)(1), provides that “[w]henever the laws of the United States refer or relate to foreign countries, nations, states, governments, or similar entities, such terms shall include and such laws shall apply with respect to Taiwan.” 22 U.S.C. § 3303(b)(1). Accordingly, all references to “country” or “countries” in the Visa Waiver Program authorizing legislation, Section 217 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C. 1187, are read to include Taiwan. This is consistent with the one-China policy of the United States, under which the United States has maintained unofficial relations with Taiwan since 1979.