U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Kingdom of Norway
Exercise normal precautions in Norway.

Exercise normal precautions in Norway. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Norway:

Quick Facts

Six months recommended


Two pages


Not required for stays under 90 days




25,000 Norwegian Kroner (or equivalent), not including traveler’s checks


25,000 Norwegian Kroner (or equivalent), without prior approval

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Oslo

Morgedalsvegen 36,
0378 Oslo,
Mailing address: PO Box 4075 AMB, 0244 Oslo, Norway
Telephone: +(47) 2130-8540
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(47) 2130-8540
Fax: +(47) 2256-2751

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Norway for information on U.S. – Norway relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Royal Norwegian Embassy website for the most current visa information.

Norway is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Norway for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay. You need sufficient funds and a return airline ticket. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Norway.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorism: Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.

Crime: Norway has a relatively low level of crime.

  • The most likely forms of crime, especially in the Oslo metropolitan area, include residential and office burglaries and petty thefts.
  • Instances of pickpocketing and petty theft are of higher risk in major tourist areas, hotel lobbies, train and transit stations, and surrounding areas. The Oslo Central train station is an especially popular area for pickpockets and bag snatchers.
  • Although rare, violent and weapons-related crimes do occur in areas known to have drug trafficking and gang problems, such as certain parts of eastern Oslo. As in any other urban area, you should exercise basic security awareness at all times.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police by dialing 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(47) 2130-8540.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • assist you in accessing Norway’s program to provide financial compensation to victims who suffer serious criminal injuries, via the Norwegian Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance. Victims may also contact:

Police (non-emergency)   02 800
Oslo Emergency Room   116 117
Helpline for Children and Youth  116 111
Hotline for Victims of Sexual Assault   800 57 000
DIXI Center for Victims of Rape  22 44 40 50
Oslo Crisis Center   22 48 03 80
National Association for Victims of Crime   22 16 40 00

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately. See our webpage for further information.

  • Svalbard: The Svalbard archipelago consists of nine main islands located midway between mainland Norway and the North Pole. You need a passport to enter Svalbard.
    • Unlike Norway’s mainland, Svalbard is not party to the Schengen Agreement and air travelers to Svalbard from Norway will depart the Schengen Zone prior to boarding.
    • Travelers to Svalbard face unique hazards given the extreme weather conditions and limited transport infrastructure.
    • The U.S. Embassy has no direct representation on Svalbard, limiting its ability to provide emergency consular services.
    • Verify that you have adequate travel, medical, and medical evacuation insurance to cover the potential costs of medical treatment or repatriation before you travel to Svalbard.
    • Although road systems exist within the three largest towns, Longyearbyen, Barentsburg, and Ny-Alesund, they do not connect with each other, making sea, snowmobile or limited air service the only options for traveling throughout Svalbard.
    • Tourism to Ny-Alesund is restricted due to its status as a research facility and the danger of polar bear attacks.
    • There have been several reported instances of death or injury to tourists in the Svalbard archipelago due to animal attacks and boating incidents, often involving unpredictable weather or ocean conditions.
    • In cases of illness or injury, a clinic in Longyearbyen can provide limited emergency care until medical evacuation to Tromsoe is available.
    • You should consult the Sysselmann’s Office and the Svalbard Tourist Board for the latest travel conditions and information before you go.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Norway.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: While in Norway, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from that in the United States.

  • Oslo Gardermoen International Airport is accessible to wheelchair users and the staff is very helpful with accessibility issues.
  • The Oslo subway/light-rail system (T-banen) has above-average wheelchair accessibility.
  • Taxis drivers are generally helpful in assisting wheelchair users. It is possible to order taxis with wheelchair lifts.
  • From December to March it is impossible for wheelchair users to navigate Oslo’s streets without assistance due to snow and ice.
  • Shopping malls, hotels, public buildings, and most modern structures will have handicap accessible toilets.
  • Fewer than half of the restaurants in Norway are wheelchair accessible and many have restrooms located up or down a flight of stairs.
  • Many modern public structures, such as shopping centers, substitute inclined moving walkways/ramps for elevators, which are difficult for wheelchair users to use safely.
  • Norway’s Tourist Board website offers accessibility information specifically for ferries.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical facilities are widely available and of high quality, but may be limited outside larger urban areas. The remote and sparse populations in northern Norway and the dependence on ferries to cross fjords of western Norway may affect transportation and ready access to medical facilities. The U.S. Embassy in Oslo maintains a list of emergency medical and dental clinics in major cities.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation. If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Norway to ensure the medication is legal in Norway. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: The maintenance and condition of urban roads is generally good. Rural road conditions are fair, and the availability of roadside assistance is limited.

  • Roadside assistance is mainly provided by two service providers in Norway: Viking (phone number +47 06000) and Falck (phone number +47 02222). Both service providers operate with 24/7 duty phones.
  • Most roadways beyond the city limits of Oslo and other major cities tend to be simple two-lane roads. In mountainous areas of Norway, the roads tend to be narrow, winding, and have many tunnels.
  • Road conditions vary greatly, depending on weather and time of year. Extreme weather, floods, and landslides can occur. This can disrupt both rail and road travel.
  • The use of winter tires is mandatory on all motor vehicles from November to April.
  • The Norwegian Government’s Crisis Information website provides information and advice to the public before, during, and after a crisis. Many mountain roads are closed due to snow from late fall to late spring.

Traffic Laws: Norwegian law requires that drivers always use headlights when driving. Norwegian law also requires drivers to yield to vehicles coming from the right, except in a traffic circle, when drivers are required to yield to vehicles already in the circle.

  • Seatbelts are mandatory for drivers and passengers.
  • It is illegal to use a hand-held cell phone while driving; violators risk a fine of 1,300 kroner (approximately $215).
  • Automatic cameras placed by the police along roadways help enforce speed limits, which are often lower than in other European countries. Fines – and sometimes even jail time – are imposed for violations.
  • The maximum legal blood alcohol content level for driving a car in Norway is .02 percent. Frequent road checks with mandatory breathalyzer tests and the promise of stiff jail sentences encourage alcohol-free drinking.

Public Transportation: See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Norway’s Tourist Board and the Norwegian Council for Road Safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Norway’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Norways’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Norway should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (https:homeport.uscg.mil), and the NGA broadcast warnings website https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal select “broadcast warnings”.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Oslo

Morgedalsvegen 36,
0378 Oslo,
Mailing address: PO Box 4075 AMB, 0244 Oslo, Norway
Telephone: +(47) 2130-8540
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(47) 2130-8540
Fax: +(47) 2256-2751

General Information

Norway and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since April 1, 1989.

For information concerning travel to Norway, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Norway. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on Internation Parental Child Abduction (IPCA). The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children's Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Norway.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

Email: AskCI@state.gov

The Norwegian Central Authority (NCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Justice and Police (MOJ).  Immediately upon receiving an application from the central authority of another contracting state, the MOJ will review the application to ensure that it meets the conditions of the Hague Abduction Convention and that the required documents are enclosed. Being an administrative authority, the MOJ cannot make a decision on whether the child should be returned or not.  This jurisdiction belongs entirely to the courts. The NCA can be reached at:

Norway's Adoption Authority
The Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs
Ministry of Children and Equality
Barne- ungdoms- og familiedirektoratet
Postboks 8113 Dep
Universitetsgata 7, 0032 Oslo
Tel: 47/2404-4000
Fax: 47/2404-4001
Email: post@bufdir.no
Web sites: www.bufdir.no and

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Norway, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State's website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the NCA.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the NCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Norwegian central authorities.  Norway offers legal assistance for eligible applicant parents covering the costs of legal fees, court costs, translations and interpreters, and service of documents.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered. 


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Norway.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Norway.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application. 

Retaining an Attorney

Retaining a private attorney is not required for filing a Hague case in Norway. If a parent or legal guardian elects to hire a private attorney in Norway, the attorney should contact the NCA as soon as possible. The U.S. Embassy in Oslo, Norway, posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation services can be provided by the courts under the supervision of the judge. Mediation can also be sought outside of the court through the Family Counseling Service of the Directorate of Children, Youth, and Family Affairs. There are no costs associated with these services, though the cost for outside legal counsel must be paid by the party employing them.  

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Norway is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all adoptions between Norway and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

Note: There are few children eligible for intercountry adoption from Norway, with a long waiting list of Norwegian prospective adoptive parents. While legally possible, intercountry adoption of a Norwegian orphan by foreigners is unlikely. No Norwegian orphans have received U.S. immigrant visas in the past five fiscal years. The information provided is intended primarily to assist in rare adoption cases from Norway, including adoptions of Norwegian children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by Americans living in Norway.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Norway is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Norway, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Norway also has the following requirements for prospective adoptive parents:

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Temporary visitors to Norway cannot apply to adopt in Norway.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: Applications by parents who are 45 years or older are given additional scrutiny. There are cases, for example, in which one of the spouses is considerably younger than the other, or the family already has adopted a child.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: Those who apply together must be married, generally for at least two years. People who are not married to each other are not eligible to adopt a child together in Norway, although single adoptive parents may qualify if they fulfill certain requirements.
  • INCOME REQUIREMENTS: You must be able to show documents certifying a stable financial situation.
  • OTHER REQUIRMENTS: You must be able to show documents certifying good health status, and a clean police record.
Who Can Be Adopted

Because Norway is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Norway must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the Convention requires that Norway attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Norway's requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adopteefor you to bring him or her back to the United States.

How to Adopt


The Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs
Ministry of Children and Equality


Because Norway is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Norway must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements.

NOTE: The information provided is intended primarily to assist in rare adoption cases from Norway, including adoptions of Norwegian children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by Americans living in Norway.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States
  5. Adopt the Child in Norway
  6. Bring your Child Home

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider: 

    The first step in adopting a child from Norway is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited. Only these agencies and attorneys can provide adoption services between the United States and Norway. Learn more.

    Adoptions in Norway are arranged through one of three accredited adoption organizations, supervised by the Norwegian Central Authority (Bufdir ).

    Links to the three Norwegian adoption organizations:


  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    Once the U.S. government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt, you or your agency will forward your information to the adoption authority in Norway. Norway's adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Norway's law.

  3. Be Matched with a Child:

    If both the United States and Norway determine that you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority in Norway may provide you with a referral for a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of the particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child.

  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval to adopt that particular child (Form I-800). USCIS will determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted and enter the United States. Learn how.

    After this, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application for to a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Officer will review the child's information and evaluate the child for possible visa ineligibilities. If the Consular Office determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States, he/she will notify Norway's adoption authority (Article 5 letter). For Convention country adoptions, prospective adoptive parent(s) may not proceed with the adoption or obtain custody for the purpose of adoption until this takes place.

    Remember: The Consular Officer will make a final decision about the immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

  5. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in-country:

    Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Norway, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Norway.
    • ROLE OF THE ADOPTION AUTHORITY: The Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs (known by the Norwegian acronym "Bufdir"), a unit of the Ministry of Children and Family Affairs, is the authority on both domestic and intercountry adoptions in Norway. Bufdir supervises the work of the three Norwegian adoption organizations, maintains central adoption records and assigns a government grant to those who receive approval to adopt a child. Bufdir is also the Central Authority for the Hague Intercountry Adoption Convention, which came into force for Norway January 1, 1998.

      The Ministry of Children and Family Affairs also has appointed a Professional Board for Adoptions, an independent body with advisory status, composed by a medical doctor and two psychologists/psychiatrists. In domestic adoptions the Board is responsible for the placement process whenever there is a child in Norway in need for a new family through adoption. In intercountry adoptions the Board is responsible for the placement whenever the foreign child proposed for placement with the prospective adoptive parents, has special needs or is above a certain age.

      The five regional offices for Children, Youth and Family Affairs give advance approval to applicants who want to adopt a child from abroad, processes applications for the adoption of Norwegian children (primarily stepchildren)

    • LEGAL FRAMEWORK: The Act on Adoption, which came into force on January 1, 1987, and government guidelines constitute the regulations for adoptions in Norway.
    • ROLE OF ADOPTION AGENCIES: In nearly all cases, the adoption is arranged through one of three accredited adoption organizations (specified on Bufdir web site).
    • TIME FRAME: In general, it takes close to a year to prepare the required reports about the applying family]
    • ADOPTION FEES: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.
      • a social report detailing the prospective adoptive parents' background, marriage, everyday life, interests and motives for wanting to adopt a child from abroad;
      • the social worker's written impression of the applicants and their suitability to be adoptive parents;
      • birth and marriage certificates;
      • doctor's reports;
      • police certificates, and;
      • documentation of financial standing.

      NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how.

  6. Bring Your Child Home Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:
    • Birth Certificate 
      You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

      All births in Norway are required to be officially registered. The hospital sends notification to the Folk Register, where basic information is registered and a personal number is issued. The parents are obligated to report the baby's name within 6 months. This is registered by the tax office, where a birth certificate is then issued and sent to the parents, confirming the name and the personal number. A copy of the original birth certificate or a new birth certificate with the adoptive parents' name can be requested from the local office of the Folk Register where the child was born.

    • Norwegian Passport
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Norway.

      To apply for a Norwegian passport, contact the local police in the district where you are registered in the Folk Register.

      Application forms and instructions are available from the police or can be found at this police webpage (Norwegian language).

      Proof of Norwegian citizenship and identity must be presented. The child must be present when applying. At least one parent must appear, with ID. If both parents share custody, the other parent must give written consent with a copy of ID. Also required is a photo meeting the requirements and the fee of NOK 450 for applicants over 16, NOK 270 for children under 16. Normal processing time is within 10 working days.

    • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S. Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-800 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the "Panel Physician's" medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Learn more.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to acquire American citizenship when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions to be finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to typically acquire American citizenship when the U.S. state court issues the final adoption decree. We urge your family to finalize the adoption in a U.S. State court as quickly as possible.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Norway. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Norway, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Norway, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Norway require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

We strongly urge you to comply with the wish of Norway and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Norway
Henrik Ibsens Gate 48
0244 Oslo
Tel: 47/2244-8550
Fax: 47/2256-2751
Email: osloamcit@state.gov
Internet: www.usa.no

Norway's Adoption Authority
The Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs
Ministry of Children and Equality
Barne- ungdoms- og familiedirektoratet
Postboks 8113 Dep
Universitetsgata 7, 0032 Oslo
Tel: 47/2404-4000
Fax: 47/2404-4001
Email: post@bufdir.no
Web sites: www.bufdir.no and

Royal Norwegian Embassy
2720 34th St., NW
Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel: 202/333-6000
Fax: 202/337-0870
Email: emb.washington@mfa.no
Internet: www.norway.org/Embassy

Norway has Consulates General in New York, Houston, San Francisco and Minneapolis. See www.norway.org

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
E-mail: AskCI@state.gov
Internet: http://adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)

1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 1 None Multiple 24 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. A birth certificate, fødselsattest, is available for those born after January 1, 1916. Copies can be obtained from the parish where the parents resided at the time of birth (if born between 1916 and 1946) or from the Public Census Office, Folkeregisteret, in the city or town of birth if born after 1946. Baptismal certificates, dåpsattest, are no longer considered official documents, but may be obtained. If the parents were members of the State (Lutheran) Church or residing temporarily in Norway, the baptismal certificates are issued by the Norwegian State Church (Den Norske Kirke) through the parish where the parents resided at the time of the applicant's birth. The parish also issues certificates for those whose parents were not members of any church. Members of other faiths may write to their ministers. Both birth certificates and baptismal certificates list the child's name, sex, date and place of birth, and parents' names at a minimum and are signed and sealed with a rubber seal.

Death Certificates

Available. A death certificate, dødsattest, can be obtained from the parish where the death occurred, from the sheriff, Lensmann, the police or the probate court, Skifterett. Death Certificates from the probate court are preferred.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. If the marriage occurred before October 1, 2004, the marriage certificate, Vielsesattest or Vigselsattest, can be obtained from the church or civil authority where the marriage was solemnized. If the marriage took place after October 1, 2004, the marriage certificate can be obtained from the Public Census Office, Folkeregisteret.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Divorce decree certificates, skillsmissesattest, rendered prior to 1954 can be obtained from the State Archives, Statesarkivet. The County Governor, Fylkesmann, furnishes certificates for divorces obtained after 1954.

Adoption Certificates

Available. Adoption decrees, adopsjonsbevilling, are issued by the County Governor, Fylkesmann, in the County, Fylke, where the adoption took place. The decree includes the names of adoptive parents and the place and date of birth of child.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Applications can be made in person at the police station in the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant no longer lives in Norway, an application may be made by mail. The application must include a photo, ID card with personal number, and a reason for the request. Addresses and phone numbers for Norwegian police stations can be found at www.politi.no. Select the appropriate county (fylke) from the list "Hvor vil du?" Alternatively, applicants may send their information to the Police Directorate at Politidirektoratet, Postbox 8051 Dep. 0031, Oslo. The record is valid for the entire country. Processing time is about 14 days.

Court Records

Available. Court records, retts og domsdokumenter, can be obtained from the court before which the case was tried. It consists of a judicial summation of the case and the judgment and sentence handed down. Older records may be held at the State Archives.

Prison Records

Available. A prison record, fengselsattest, may be obtained from the prison where the sentence was served.

Military Records

Available. A service record, tjenesteattest, may be obtained from Vernepliktsverket by phone: 815 55 580; by email: postmottakvpv@mil.no; or by writing to Vernepliktsverket, Postmottak, 2617 Lillehammer, Norway. Active duty military personnel accused of crimes (other than petty offenses) are usually tried by the civil authorities who register the trial and findings in the civil penal certificates.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

There are three types of Norwegian machine-readable passports and travel documents. Norwegian citizens receive passports with a dark-red cover. Foreigners granted status as "refugees" under the UN Convention are issued travel documents, reisebevis, with two gold stripes across a dark green cover. Applicants for political asylum who have not been granted status as convention refugees, but have been allowed to stay on humanitarian grounds, are currently issued dark-blue immigrants' passports, utlendingspass, which replaces the earlier light-blue "foreigners' passports."

Other Records

Name Changes

Available. Legal change of name. Navnebevilling/navnemelding is issued by the Public Census Office, Folkeregisteret, or, in some cases, by the County Governor, Fylkesmann. 

Visa Issuing Posts

Oslo, Norway (Embassy)

PSC 69 - Box 1000
APO AE 09707-5460


Visa Services

All nonimmigrant visa categories for Norway, including Svalbard and the island of Jan Mayen are processed in Oslo. Immigrant visas are processed by the embassy in Stockholm, Sweden.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 333-6000 (202) 469-3990

Houston, TX (713) 620-4200 (713) 620-4290

New York, NY (646) 430-7500 (646) 430-7599

San Francisco, CA (415) 882-2000 (415) 882-2001

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Oslo
Morgedalsvegen 36 
0378 Oslo
+(47) 2130-8540
+(47) 2130-8540
+(47) 2256-2751
Norway Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.