U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


The Gambia
Republic of The Gambia

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 36 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 6 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None One 6 Months
C-3 None Multiple 6 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 48 Months
F-2 None Multiple 48 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 36 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 24 Months
N-9 None Multiple 24 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None One 1 Month
U-2 None One 1 Month
U-3 None One 1 Month
U-4 None One 1 Month
U-5 None One 1 Month
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Certificates are obtainable from the Registrar of Births and Deaths at the NTC Complex, Ecowas Avenue in Banjul. There is a nominal charge for these certificates. These are obtainable at any age after birth.

Death Certificates

Available. Death certificates are obtainable in two days from the Registrar of Births and Deaths at NTC Complex, Ecowas Avenuee in Banjul.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

  • Civil: Available. Certified copies of civil marriage certificates are obtainable from the Registrar General, Ministry of Justice, Marina Parade, Banjul.
  • Muslim: Available. Certified copies of Mohammedan marriage certificates are obtainable from the Registrar of the Cadi's Court, ECOWAS Avenue, Banjul.

Same-sex marriages are not recognized.

Divorce Certificates

  • Civil: Available. Civil divorce records are obtainable from the Registrar of the High Court, Banjul. The name of the petitioner and the respondent, as well as the date of the divorce decree should be furnished.
  • Muslim: Available. Certified copies of Mohammedan divorce records are obtainable from the Registrar of the Khadi's Court, ECOWAS Avenue, Banjul.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Police clearance certificates are available to any resident of The Gambia for 100 dalasis (less than US $4.00). For non-Gambians the fee is 500 dalasis (about $18.00). The process may take a considerable length of time especially when either the individual or a contact is not physically present in The Gambia.

Criminal records are maintained indefinitely at a central Criminal Records Office and are never purged. Criminal records are indexed by the individual's unique national identity number and include fingerprints for verification. Contact the Inspector General of Police Force Headquarters, ECOWAS Avenue, Banjul.

Prison Records

Available. A prison record may be obtained from the Superintendent of Prisons, Mile 2 Central Prison, Banjul.

Military Records

Available. Military records for Gambian nationals who performed military service in the Gambian armed forces may be obtained from the Army Headquarters, Marina Parade, Banjul.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

The Gambian Immigration Department issues machine-readable tourist, service and diplomatic passports. The high-quality new passport incorporates the following security features:

  • Passport Cover: Although the gold seal of the Republic of the Gambia remains the same, a dark forest green background replaces the old royal blue.
  • Inside Cover: Both the old and new passports contain invisible UV-reactive designs on the inside covers. The visible artwork on the new passport includes a pirogue (a type of canoe) and two birds on the inside front cover and a more complex background design on the inside front and back covers.
  • Passport Numbers: The green tourist passports have numbers beginning with two letters followed by 6 digits (e.g. PC123456) replace the old 6-digit passport numbers (e.g. 654321). New service passports have navy blue covers with numbers beginning with the letter S followed by 6 digits (e.g. S000000). For diplomatic passports, the cover is red and the numbers begin with the letter D followed by 6 digits (e.g. D000000). The numbers are still perforated into the passport pages but not the cover. The passport number appears in black ink and invisible UV-reactive ink in the middle of page 1 of the new passport.
  • Passport Pages: The passport contains 32 numbered pages bound in the middle with UV-reactive thread. Like the old passport, the new passport has the seal of The Gambia in the middle of each page. In addition, the new pages feature more subtle coloration fading from green to blue to pink and finer microprinting that reads "Republic of The Gambia" in wavy lines. UV light illuminates the words "Republic of The Gambia" in a circle around seven birds on each page, with the birds oriented in opposite directions on facing pages. Page numbers are printed tab-style on the edge of the page in UV-reactive ink.
  • Identity Page: The identity page is printed on a field of UV-reactive ink on the last page of the passport. The front of the page is matte and the back is laminated. The bearer's photograph appears large and clear on the left side of the page and smaller and faded on the right side of the page. The words "Republic of The Gambia" in light gold reflective ink run in three wavy lines across the bottom of the page, partially crossing the photograph and completely crossing the issue and expiration dates. The indented first and second lines begin with the words "Gambia" and "Republic". The third line starts with the word "Republic" all the way at the left margin of the page. Gambian passports are only valid for five (5) years.

Other Records

Education - The most reliable education records are standardized test results, though the exams administered differ between public and private schools.  Public school students in The Gambia take standardized tests during their primary (NPSE), junior secondary (BECE), and senior secondary school years (WASSCE or O Levels).  The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) records these results.  A certified verification may be retrieved one time from the WAEC office and results for recent years are available online with a WAEC-provided scratch card.  Generally, private schools in the Gambia follow British curriculum, and students will either take a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or Cambridge exams.  There is no centralized system or agency within the Gambian government to verify school records or documents.   

Visa Issuing Posts

Banjul, The Gambia (Embassy)

Address: 92 Kairaba Avenue in Fajara

Mailing Address:P.M.B. No 19
Banjul, The Gambia

Tel: (220) 439-2856 or 439-1971 ext. 2131

Fax: (220) 439-2475

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visas for all of Gambia. Immigrant visa applications for nationals of The Gambia are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Dakar, Senegal.