U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country

South Sudan

South Sudan
Republic of South Sudan

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Two 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None Two 3 Months
B-2 None Two 3 Months
C-1 None Two 3 Months
C-1/D None Two 3 Months
C-2 None Two 3 Months
C-3 None Two 3 Months
CW-1 11 None One 3 Months
CW-2 11 None One 3 Months
D None Two 3 Months
E-1 2 None One 3 Months
E-2 2 None One 3 Months
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None Two 3 Months
F-2 None Two 3 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None One 3 Months 3
H-1C None One 3 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-3 None One 3 Months 3
H-4 None One 3 Months 3
I None One 3 Months
J-1 4 None One 3 Months
J-2 4 None One 3 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None One 6 Months
K-4 None One 6 Months
L-1 None One 3 Months
L-2 None One 3 Months
M-1 None Two 3 Months
M-2 None Two 3 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None One 3 Months 3
O-2 None One 3 Months 3
O-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-1 None One 3 Months 3
P-2 None One 3 Months 3
P-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-4 None One 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None One 3 Months 3
R-1 None One 3 Months
R-2 None One 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-19 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
V-1 None One 3 Months
V-2 None One 3 Months
V-3 None One 3 Months

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

NOTE: South Sudan has been an autonomous state since the country achieved independence on July 9, 2011. South Sudan issues its own civil documents. Documents from previous regimes are no longer valid or in circulation.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Birth certificates and age assessments are available only to those resident in South Sudan. For children born in a hospital, the children's parents can apply for a birth certificate within the first few days of the child's birth. If the child was born in a hospital and a birth certificate was not immediately obtained, then the child may be able obtain one, but would likely need an age assessment.

Children born outside of a hospital obtain an age assessment from each state health commission. The document contains the full name of the child, the parents' names, the city and state where the child was born. A day/month/year is given at the time of the age assessment. The age is determined based on information gained at an interview with the child and parents, clan elders, dental exam, and circumference of the head, among other things.

All birth certificates and age assessments must be done in South Sudan. In the near future, each state will be able to process age assessments, which are only processed in Juba at this time. Embassies do not issue birth certificates.

Death Certificates

Available. Hospitals issue death certificates on behalf of each state's ministry of health. If the death occurred in a hospital, a death certificate may be issued by the hospital.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. Marriage certificates may be obtained from the church or mosque only. A civil registry act and registrar have yet to be established. The South Sudan Mission in Nairobi may verify marriage certificates.

Divorce Certificates

Not available.

Identity Card

The Ministry of Interior issues identity cards to those eighteen years and older. To apply for an identity card, an applicant must present a birth certificate or age assessment. The national identity card requires at least one witness and biometrics.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police and Prison Records

Certificates of good conduct from the police are currently available for applicants residing in South Sudan. Police certificates cannot currently be obtained by applicants outside South Sudan. Consular officers should make a determination that such certificates are unobtainable for applicants outside South Sudan. Persons released from prison are normally given an official release record and must appear before the court prior to their release. Prison records are available for applicants residing in South Sudan, but cannot currently be obtained by applicants outside South Sudan. Consular officers should make a determination that such records are unobtainable for applicants outside South Sudan. Consular officers should follow the guidance in 9 FAM 42.65 N6 when determining that a document is unobtainable.

Military Records

In practice, military records are not available. Since the signing of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Treaty and South Sudan achieved independence on July 9, 2011, the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) has been in the process of transitioning from a guerrilla rebel group into a professional national army. Although the SPLA has designed a bio data system to register all SPLA soldiers, it will take time for the SPLA to fully implement the system.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Passports are issued by the Ministry of Interior, Department of Nationality, Immigration, and Passports, for a five year period. At this time, the Ministry issues new and renewal passports in Juba only. South Sudan Embassies will issue and renew passports in the near future.

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Juba, South Sudan--A and G visas only


U.S. Embassy Juba
Kololo Road, next to EU compound
Juba, South Sudan

U.S. Embassy Juba
4420 Juba Place
Washington, DC 20521

U.S. Embassy Juba
4420 Juba Place
Dulles, VA 20189

For DHL:
U.S. Embassy Juba
Kololo Street, Tong Ping
Juba, South Sudan

Consular telephone:

Office hours:  +211 912 105 188
After hours (duty officer):  +211 912 105 107

Nairobi, Kenya (Embassy)

United Nations Avenue,
Gigiri, Nairobi

Mailing Address:
APO AE 09831-8900

International Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 30137
Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 254-2-363-6000
After hours emergencies: 254-2-363-6170

Fax: 254-2-363-6410

Visa Services

Please check back for update