Russia Travel Advisory
July 1, 2022

Do Not Travel and Leave Immediately

U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Kingdom of Bahrain

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
C-W-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
C-W-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 2 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 None One 3 Months
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B $1,052.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 $1,052.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
I $301.00 Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $1,052.00 Multiple 60 Months
L-2 $1,052.00 Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 $1,052.00 Multiple 60 Months
R-2 $1,052.00 Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 None One 6 Months
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
T-D 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi, Libyan, Somalian, Sudanese, Syrian or Yemeni nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available for all persons whose births occurred in a hospital. Such birth certificates can be obtained from the Birth and Death Records Office, Public Health Department, P.O. Box 12, Manama, State of Bahrain. The certificate is in both Arabic and English. Requirements are an application form (acquired from the above address), copies of parents' passports, name of child, date and place of birth. There may be a fee for this service.

For births that occurred at home and which were not recorded, an application form obtained from the above address should be completed and forwarded to the local court for attestation. Subsequently, a birth certificate is issued by the Public Health Department provided the applicant has furnished the same requirements as state above.


Available. Write to: The Director of Public Health, Birth and Death Records Office, Public Health Department, P.O. Box 12, Manama, State of Bahrain. The same procedures and fees apply as for birth certificates. Burial certificates for Christians buried in Bahrain are available from the church responsible for the burial.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Marriages between Muslims are performed by local religious leaders according to Islamic law and custom. Certificates of marriages are kept on file with the appropriate Sharia Court. Requests for copies of these certificates should be addressed either to the Sunni or Shi'a Sharia Court, Ministry of Justice, P.O. Box 450, Manama, State of Bahrain. Each request should state the date of the marriage. These certificates are available only in Arabic. Marriages between two Christians can be performed in one of four designated Christina churches, each maintaining its own records, or they can be married at the Ministry of Justice. Requests for these records should be directed to the church where the marriage took place or to the Ministry of Justice. Anyone can choose to be married by the Ministry of Justice in the Kingdom of Bahrain. By request to the church, these records can be authenticated by the Office of the Director of the Law Courts of Bahrain. Between 1930 and 1971, all Christian marriages were recorded by the British Political Agent. Information from these records can be obtained from the British Embassy, P.O. Box 114, Manama, State of Bahrain.


Available. Write to: The Chief Justice of the Sharia Court, Bahrain Ministry of Justice, P.O. Box 450, Manama, state of Bahrain. Copies of certificates of divorce, granted in accordance with Islamic law, can be obtained by the same procedure as for marriages.


(A) The transliteration of Arabic names into English is not scientific. The spelling on one document is thus often at variance with the spelling on another.
(B) The construction of a person's name can also vary. The first name is always the person's given name. The second name is always the person's father's name, and it should be the same for brothers and sisters. If a third name is used, it can be either the person's grandfather's name or the person's family name. Some people use four names, i.e. given name, father's name, grandfather's name and family name.
(C) The word "bin" (meaning "son of") can be used or not without changing the person's identity.
(D) Titles such as "Shaikh" or "Sayed" are used in some documents but are not actually part of the person's name.


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Certificates

  • Available.
  • Fees: Bahrain Dinars 1.000 or U.S. $3.00. Checks and Bank Drafts are not accepted.
  • Issuing Authority: General Directorate of Criminal Investigation (CID)
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Unknown
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Unknown
  • Registration Criteria: Unknown
  • Procedure for Obtaining:  Write to: General Directorate of Criminal Investigation (CID), P.O. Box 26698, Manama, State of Bahrain. The letter should contain a request for an application for a "Good Conduct Certificate" (Form PS/CID/6) with a statement explaining that the certificate is needed for immigration. Applicants should complete and return it to the CID at the above address along with the following:
    • Two matte (i.e., non-glossy) photographs;
    • A photocopy of the first four pages of the applicant's passport;(where all the biographic data is mentioned)
    • A photocopy of all previous Bahraini residence permits;
    • A letter from the applicant's current employer indicating that they have no objection to the applicant's departure.
  • If the applicant is living in Bahrain, the CID will schedule an interview, during which the applicant will be fingerprinted. The certificate is usually issued within 3-5 days after the interview. Records are somewhat unreliable prior to 1967. There is a fee for this service of Bahrain Dinars 1.000 or U.S. $3.00 for this service. Checks and Bank Drafts are not accepted.
  • Applicants no longer living in Bahrain should follow the same procedure and provide the same documentation. However, they will also have to provide a set of fingerprints taken by local police in their country of residence.
  • If there is a Bahrain Embassy where the applicant resides, they can contact the Bahrain Embassy to complete the necessary formalities.
  • Certified Copies Available: Unknown
  • Alternate Documents:  Unknown
    • Exceptions: Certificates are not issued for holders of visitor's visas. In order for CID to issue a Good Conduct Certificate, an applicant must currently have, or previously have had, a valid residence permit in Bahrain.
    • Comments:


  • Court Records


    Prison Records

    Available. Write to: Officer in Charge, Prison Division, Manama Prison, P.O. Box 13, Manama, State of Bahrain.


Military Records

Available. Write to: The Bahrain Defense Force, P.O. Box 245, Manama, State of Bahrain.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Non-citizen residents of Bahrain can now obtain travel documents valid for two years provided they can documents their ties to Bahrain. Holders of these travel documents may also be able to obtain multiple re-entry permits valid for up to two years in Bahrain or at Bahraini embassies and consulates abroad. Posts may issue visas into these travel documents only if the alien possessing the documents also holds a re-entry permit to Bahrain or some other country valid for at least 6 months from the date of expiration of the alien's contemplated stay in the United States.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Manama, Bahrain (Embassy)

Bldg. 979, Road no. 3119, Zinj District

Tel: 00973-1724-2700


Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Bahrain.

Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.