U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Republic of Liberia

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None One 6 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 12 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 12 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 None Multiple 12 Months
F-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B $100.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C $100.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A $100.00 N/A N/A 3
H-2B $100.00 N/A N/A 3
H-2R $100.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 $100.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 $100.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 12 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 12 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $100.00 Multiple 12 Months
L-2 $100.00 Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 12 Months
M-2 None Multiple 12 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Birth Certificates are currently available only from the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare in Monrovia.  Certificates are free for those 12 and under, and cost 500 LD (approx. US $7).  Under Liberian law, anyone with knowledge of a birth can register that birth.  Supporting documentation is required (such as medical facility records or sworn affidavits), but the origins of this documentation are rarely investigated.  Certificates are generally processed in about three (3) business days.

There are no reliable checks and balances in the Liberian birth certificate application process.  Applicants could easily procure a birth certificate with any information (date of birth, location of birth, parents) desired.  Because of this, adjudicators are encouraged to request secondary documentation of relationship when encountering such documents.

Death Certificates

Death Certificates are available only from the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare in Monrovia.  In order to file for a death certificate, an applicant must either have an official record of death from a medical facility, or a confirmed record of the disposition of the body (i.e. funeral home record, photos of burial, etc.)  Applications must be made IN PERSON and carry a 500 LD (approx. US $7) fee.  Certificates are generally processed in about three (3) business days.

Burial Certificates 

Please check back for updates. 

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage/Divorce Certificates

Liberia recognizes two different types of marriage and divorce: traditional and western.  In order to be legally recognized by the Government of Liberia, marriage or divorce MUST be registered (and given the accompanying certificate) in one of these two ways.

Note:  Liberian law requires at least one party in a divorce application be resident in Liberia at the time of the application.


The Ministry of Internal Affairs governs all traditional marriages and divorces in Liberia.  The application for each must be made IN PERSON and carries a US $50 fee for marriages and a US $75 fee for divorces.  Certificates are generally processed in about one week.

As recently as June 2011, local police have charged several current and former Ministry of Internal Affairs staff members with forging marriage documents.  Adjudicators are encouraged to request secondary documentation of relationship when encountering such documents.


The National Archives governs all western marriages, while the resident civil law court handles divorces for such cases.  The application for each must be made IN PERSON (though divorce proceedings are usually handled exclusively by legal representatives) and carries a US $50 fee for marriages and a US $150 fee for divorces.  Certificates are generally processed in about one week, however, there is typically an additional two to three (2-3) business days of processing after the certificates have been signed.

The marriage process requires signatures from two witnesses and an officiant, but DOES NOT require any secondary proof of relationship.  In practice, the divorce process does not always mandate that either party be present (sworn affidavits can be provided.)  Adjudicators are encouraged to request secondary documentation of relationship when encountering such documents.

Adoption Certificates

Adoption certificates, commonly referred to as Adoption Decrees, are available from the Probate Court at the Temple of Justice and registered with the National Archives in Monrovia.  Parties must appear at the court but are allowed to execute an adoption through their attorney or legal representation.  Prior to issuance of the decree, parties must provide evidence that they have conducted a home study with Ministry of Health and filed all required petitions, relinquishment statements, and affidavits with the Probate Court.  The Probate Court will charge a filing fee, in addition to the legal fees or execution fee charged by the attorney.  

Decrees are issued by the Presiding Judge of the Probate Court for that term.  As with other court documents, the decrees are issued on white legal-size paper and will have several rubber stamps (usually red or gold in color) bearing the court seal.  Once issued by the court, parties must register the adoption decree at the National Archives and pay the required $40 USD authentication and registration fees.  Once registered, the decree will also bear a numerical coding and seal/signature from the Registrar of Deeds and Titles at the National Archives.  Certified copies of the adoption decree are available from the National Archives for $75 USD. 

As with other legal documents issued in Liberia, there is no system to check that the process is followed correctly.  Often, adoption decrees are issued before any of the required paperwork has been filed with the appropriate ministries.  Adjudicators are encouraged to request to see the relinquishment statements and other associated affidavits which should have accompanied the adoption petition at the court.

Note:  While the 2009 Presidential Moratorium on inter-country adoptions remains in place, it is not unusual to see recently issued adoption decrees.

Identity Card

Not available.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Court/Prison Records

Not available.

Police Records

Applications for Liberian police clearances must be made IN PERSON at the Records and Identification Section of the Liberia National Police Headquarters in Monrovia.  The cost is 200 LD or US $5 per application.  The record review process is done manually and typically takes one to two (1-2) weeks.  In practice, however, the review process can take as little as five (5) business days and as long as three (3) weeks.

Applicants not resident in Liberia can request that their biographic information and fingerprints be sent to the Liberia National Police via the police headquarters of their home country, however, in practice, these requests are rarely completed.

Note: The Liberia National Police does not maintain a nationwide criminal database.  As a result, the Headquarters typically does not have records of crimes committed in the outer counties of the country.  As of 2014, two (2) letters of support – one from a community leader and one from the community police station are required to begin the police clearance process.

Military Records

Not available.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Liberia has certified that all passports issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (hand written, biometric and ECOWAS) are valid for international travel.  Though the ECOWAS passport was previously only authorized for use within the region, it is currently the primary passport issued by the Government of Liberia.  Passport applications must be made at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Passport Office and must be accompanied by either a Liberian birth certificate or a Liberian naturalization certificate.  The passport issuance fee is US $23.

Note: The Liberia Nationality Law requires that one be “of Negro descent” in order to qualify for Liberian citizenship.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Monrovia, Liberia (Embassy)

502 Benson Street
Mamba Point
Monrovia, Liberia

Tel: (231) 77-677-7000 or (231) 77-677-7001

Fax: (231) 77-677-6370

Visa Services

The consular section at the U.S. Embassy in Monrovia processes non-immigrant, immigrant, follow-to-join refugee and asylee and diversity visa applications for all individuals resident in Liberia.