U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Togolese Republic

Exercise increased caution in Togo due to crime and civil unrest

Violent crime, such as carjacking, is common. Organized criminal activity, such as armed robbery, is also common. Criminals themselves are sometimes targeted for vigilante justice o

Exercise increased caution in Togo due to crime and civil unrest

Violent crime, such as carjacking, is common. Organized criminal activity, such as armed robbery, is also common. Criminals themselves are sometimes targeted for vigilante justice or lynching.

There are frequent demonstrations in Togo, during which protesters and security force members have been injured, and some killed. Police have used tear gas to disperse demonstrations that caused traffic disruptions in city centers and along National Route 1, and arrested demonstrators.  Security forces have at times used excessive force to disperse crowds.  Authorities have interrupted internet and cellular data services during past protests, making communication difficult and unpredictable. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Togo:

  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Do not display signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.
  • Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
  • Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
  • Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
  • Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Togo.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.  Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Quick Facts

Must be valid at time of entry


1 page




Yellow Fever





Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Lomé

4332 Boulevard Eyadema,
Cité OUA, B.P.852
Lomé, Togo
Telephone: +(228) 22-61-54-70
Emergency After-Hours Telephone:+(228) 22-61-54-70
Fax: +(228) 22-61-54-99

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Togo for information on U.S. - Togo relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

A valid passport and visa are required. Visas issued upon arrival in Togo are limited to seven days and can be extended at no cost during the seven day period, although travelers will need to surrender their passport to Togolese authorities for several days, and they may experience delays in receiving the extension.

To apply for a visa at a land border or the airport, you will need to fill out an application form, and provide a passport photograph and 15,000 West African CFA franc (FCFA) (approximately $30). Low-traffic land borders may not be able to issue a visa on arrival. Visas issued at an embassy abroad may be issued for a longer validity.

In response to the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak in West Africa, Togolese authorities are screening incoming travelers for fever or other EVD symptoms.

To apply for a Togolese visa in the United States, you may contact the Togolese Embassy in Washington, D.C. at (202) 234-4212. The Embassy of Togo is located at 2208 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008. If you are overseas, inquiries should be made at the nearest Togolese embassy or consulate. Visit the Embassy of Togo website for the most current visa information.

U.S. travelers should carry copies of their passports and vaccination records at all times while traveling in Togo so that, if questioned by local officials, they have proof of identity, U.S. citizenship, and required vaccinations readily available.

Documentation of Yellow Fever vaccination is required for all individuals entering Togo who are over one year of age. Visit the CDC website for detailed information on vaccinations and other health precautions. 

We are unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Togo.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Togo experiences periodic strikes, demonstrations, and political violence, especially during the lead-up to elections. Land borders with Ghana and Benin are typically shut down during elections for any of these three countries.


  • Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities, monitor local news broadcasts, and consular messages.
  • Extended travel by car, particularly between Lomé and Accra should be avoided at night.

Crime: Violent crime happens on a regular basis. The number of incidents where U.S. citizens and other Westerners are targeted has risen, particularly at beach areas. Be aware of your surroundings, do not display large amounts of cash in public, stay out of dark alleys, keep your car locked at all times, do not resist, and willingly hand over your possessions.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police at 117 and contact the U.S. Embassy at + (228) 22-61-54-70 and after hours at + (228) 22-61-54-70.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance. Local law does not specifically address domestic violence, and domestic violence against women continues to be widespread. Police generally do not intervene in abusive situations.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Local law forbids “acts against nature committed with an individual of one’s sex,” widely understood to mean same-sex sexual activity. If you are convicted of engaging in consensual same-sex sexual activity, you may be sentenced to one to three years’ imprisonment and fined $1,733 to $5,199. However, this law is not enforced directly.

Culturally, same-sex relationships are not considered acceptable in rural communities outside of Lomé.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: The Togolese government does not mandate accessibility to public or private facilities for persons with disabilities, although some public buildings may have ramps. There are very few sidewalks in the country, and handicapped access is not prioritized in construction or planning.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: Women travelling alone are encouraged to take extra precautions while in the country. While local residents are generally friendly, you are encouraged to travel in groups and be extra vigilant after dark.

See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical facilities in Togo are limited and medical care is substandard throughout the country, including in major cities. You may encounter shortages of routine medications and supplies and counterfeit medications are a frequent problem. In the event of a serious medical condition, medical evacuation to Western Europe is encouraged. Credit cards are not accepted for payment of medical care.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. 

The following diseases are prevelant:

Zika: Risk is considered negligible, but no current epidemiologic data is available.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: While some major thoroughfares in urban parts of Togo are paved, many secondary streets are not, and they can become severely flooded when it rains. Driving conditions are hazardous throughout Togo due to the presence of pedestrians, large swarms of small motorcycles, disorderly drivers (moped, car, and truck drivers), livestock on the roadways, and the poor condition of the roads, which often contain deep potholes. Overland travel off the main network of roads generally requires a four-wheel-drive vehicle.

Nighttime travel is dangerous. You should not drive outside urban centers after dark. Even when driving in the city, keep car doors locked and the windows up. You should be aware of your surroundings and drive defensively.

Traffic Laws: Many drivers in Togo do not obey traffic laws and most traffic signals do not function properly. You should be prepared for the possibility that other drivers may run red lights, stop signs, or drive in the wrong direction on one-way streets. 

At official checkpoints, Togolese security officials prefer that you approach with your interior light on, headlights dimmed, and have your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance ready. You should carry copies of important documents, such as your passport and driver’s license, to provide to authorities rather than handing over your originals.

Typically, a person involved in an accident should assist the other party(ies) if involved in an accident, unless it is not safe to do so. Since crowds can form easily following even a minor accident, it is very important to maintain attentiveness to the situation and ensure that the police are notified to respond to the scene as soon as possible. 

You should not pay any fee (bribe) to police or other authorities for them to perform their work, or to avoid sanctions.

Driving can be haphazard and disorderly, particularly in crowded city centers. 

Public Transportation: You are advised to exercise caution when using any form of local public transportation, particularly moto-taxis. Never get into a taxi with unknown passengers and always agree on the fare before getting in.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Togo, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Togo’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Togo should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Security Communications with Industry WebPortal. Information may also be posted to the  U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and as a broadcast warning on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s website.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Lomé

4332 Boulevard Eyadema,
Cité OUA, B.P.852
Lomé, Togo
Telephone: +(228) 22-61-54-70
Emergency After-Hours Telephone:+(228) 22-61-54-70
Fax: +(228) 22-61-54-99

General Information

For information concerning travel to Togo, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Togo.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Togo is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Togo and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Togo and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.



Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

Email: AskCI@state.gov


Parental child abduction is a crime in Togo. 


Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 





Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Togo and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy in Togo for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Togo are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in LomeTogo posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Matrimonial judges, or the Court of the Child, provide mediation services for married and unmarried parents, respectively.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Togo is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention).  Intercountry adoption processing in Convention countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Togo.

There are two types of adoptions in Togo:  plenary (irrevocable) and simple (revocable).  Only plenary adoptions are valid for immigration purposes.  Since February 1, 2010, all new adoption cases in Togo must be completed under the Hague Adoption Convention process.

Note:  Special transition provisions apply to adoptions initiated before February 1, 2010.  Read about Transition Cases.


To bring an adopted child to the United States from Togo, you must meet eligibility and suitability requirements.  The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee under U.S. law in order to immigrate to the United States on an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to the U.S. requirements, prospective adoptive parents need to meet Togo’s requirements to adopt a child from Togo:

  • Residency:  Prospective adoptive parent must live in Togo for at least one year before the adoption is finalized.  Exemptions can be granted by the President of the High Court.
  • Age of Adopting Parents:  At least one of the prospective adoptive parents must be more than 30 years old.  There must be at least an 18-year difference between the prospective adoptive parent and the adopted child. 
  • Marriage:  Opposite sex married couples and unmarried individuals may adopt in Togo.   Same-sex married couples cannot adopt in Togo.
  • Income:  Togo has no income requirements for intercountry adoptions.  Prospective parents must prove that they can provide for the child.  The Togolese Central Authority, the National Adoption Committee (CNAET), relies on the information provided by the U.S. home study on the prospective adoptive parent’s finances.
Who Can Be Adopted

Because Togo is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Togo must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the Convention requires that Togo attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Togo's requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee for you to bring him or her back to the United States.


In order to be eligible for adoption under Togolese law, a child must have been pronounced abandoned or relinquished by the Togolese Lower Court.

  • Relinquishment Requirements:
    • Both parents have decided to release the child because they are unable to care for him/her; or
    • The child's parents rights have been terminated due to neglect; or both parents are deceased and the family consents to release the child to a third party. This would be considered an adoption by consent.
    • In the case of relinquishment of a child, the Lower Court must make a legal ruling.
  • Abandonment Requirements:
    • In order to be considered legally abandoned, the legal parents must have willfully forsaken all parental rights, obligations and claims to the child; and/or
    • The legal parents have not transferred parental rights to anyone and the child is not in their care; and
    • After a field investigation, a judge or the president of the Togolese Lower Court will decree the child abandoned by a court decree.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: Under local law, the adoptee must be unmarried and under 18. Because U.S. law limits the adoptions of children above 16, American citizens considering adopting an older child in Togo should contact the Embassy prior to initiating the process.
  • Requirements for Children with Special Needs or Medical Conditions: Special needs or children with medical conditions can be adopted. Adoptive parents are given the opportunity to request specific criteria for the child they want to adopt when submitting their adoption application. Adoptive parents are informed of the child's condition in a detailed report when they are matched with the child. Once matched with a child, the PAP will have the opportunity to accept or reject the prospective child.
  • WAITING PERIOD: There is no designated waiting period in an adoption case but prospective parents should be aware that it will likely take several years to finalize an adoption in Togo as the adoption process is new and details are still being worked out. Files are treated on a first come, first served basis and as the process is relatively new, many of the details
How to Adopt

WARNING:  Togo is party to the Hague Adoption Convention.  Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Togo before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter” in the case.  Read on for more information.


Ministère de l'Action Sociale et de la Solidarité Nationale
Comité National d'Adoption d'Enfants au Togo (CNAET) - National Adoption Committee for Children in Togo.

Note:  If you have an approved, unexpired Form I-600A or filed a Form I-600 filed before February 1, 2010, your adoption may be considered a transition case.  For more information, read about Transition Cases.


Because Togo is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Togo must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements.  A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below.  You must complete these steps in the following order to meet all necessary legal requirements.  Adoptions completed out of order may result in the child not being eligible for an immigrant visa to the United States.

  1. Choose a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child by authorities in Togo
  4. Apply to USCIS for the child to be found eligible for immigration to the United States and receive U.S. agreement to proceed with the adoption
  5. Adopt (or obtain legal custody) of child in Togo
  6. Obtain a U.S. immigrant visa for your child and bring your child home
  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider: 

    The recommended first step in adopting a child from Togo is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited or approved to provide services to U.S. citizens in Convention cases.  Only accredited or approved adoption services providers may act as the primary provider in your case.  The primary adoption service provider is responsible for ensuring that all adoption services in the case are done in accordance with the Hague Adoption Convention and U.S. laws and regulations.  Learn more about Agency Accreditation.

  2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited or approved adoption service provider, you must apply to be found eligible to adopt by the responsible U.S. government agency, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), by submitting Form I-800A.  Read more about Eligibility Requirements.

    Once USCIS determines that you are “eligible” and “suited” to adopt by approving the Form I-800A, your adoption service provider will provide your approval notice, home study, and any other required information to the adoption authority in Togo as part of your adoption dossier.  Togo’s adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Togo’s law.

  3. Be matched with a child by authorities in Togo:

    If both the United States and Togo determine that you are eligible to adopt, and the central authority for Convention adoptions has determined that a child is available for adoption and that intercountry adoption is in that child’s best interests, the Comité National d’Adoption des Enfants au Togo (CNAET) may provide you with a referral for a child.  The referral is a proposed match between you and a specific child based on a review of your dossier and the needs of a specific child in Togo.  The CNAET will provide a background study and other information, if available, about the child to help you decide whether to accept the referral or not.  Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs and provide a permanent home for a particular child.  If you accept the referral, the adoption service provider communicates that to the adoption authority in Togo.  Learn more about this critical decision.

  4. Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States and Receive U.S. Agreement to Proceed with the Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval for the child to immigrate to the United States (Form I-800).  USCIS will make a provisional determination as to whether the child meets the definition of a Convention Adoptee and will be eligible to enter the United States and reside permanently as an immigrant.

    After provisional approval of Form I-800, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Lome, Togo, that is responsible for issuing immigrant visas to children from Togo.  A consular officer will review the Form I-800 and the visa application for possible visa ineligibilities and advise you of options for the waiver of any noted ineligibilities.

    WARNING:  The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to Togo’s Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Togo where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States.  This letter will inform the Togo’s Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

    Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Togo before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

    Remember:  The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process. 
    Note:  The Togolese government will not issue a Togolese passport or identity card to your child after an adoption is finalized, and the United States cannot issue a U.S. passport until your child has entered the United States.  Therefore, in order for your child to travel, you will need to apply for and receive a Togolese identity card and passport before the adoption process is completed.

    In order for your child to travel once the adoption is complete, they will need travel documents. Please note: The Togolese government will not issue a Togolese passport or identity card to your child once an adoption is finalized, and the United States cannot issue a U.S. passport until your child has entered the United States. In order for your child to travel, you will need to apply for and receive a Togolese passport and identification card before the adoption process is completed.

    • Togolese Identity Card
      • A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate
      • A certified copy of the child’s Togolese Nationality Certificate
      • 2 passport photographs
      • Blood-type certificate
      • Emergency contact information
      • 5,000 CFA (approximately $10)
    • Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document.  To apply for a passport, your child needs to have a Togolese identity card.  To apply for the card, you will need to present:

    Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 7:30 at Commissariat Central.  Once the Identity Card is issued, you may apply for a passport for the child.

    • Togolese Passport
      • A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate
      • A certified copy of the child’s Togolese nationality certificate
      • A copy of the Togolese Identity Card
      • Emergency contact information
      • 30,000 CFA (approximately $60)
      • 2 photographs (white background)
      • A photocopy of the child’s identity card
      • School records
    • To apply for your child’s passport, you will need to present:

    Applications can be dropped off between 7:30 a.m. and noon and 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at:

    Direction Générale de la documentation Nationale
    Service des Passeports
    01 BP 4871
    Lomé, Togo

  5. Adopt (or obtain legal custody) of child in Togo:

    Remember:  Before you adopt (or obtain legal custody of) a child in Togo, you must have completed the above four steps.  Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Togo.

    The process for finalizing the adoption (or obtaining legal custody) in Togo generally includes the following:

    • Role of Central Authority:  The National Committee for Adoptions in Togo (CNAET) is the central adoption authority.  After reviewing each case, the Committee forwards the file with a recommendation to the Court of Lomé. U.S. citizens considering adopting in Togo should contact the CNAET (see below).
    • Role of Adoption Agencies:  There are no adoption service providers registered and authorized in Togo; adoption service providers based and operating from the United States may provide assistance to prospective adoption parents.  While some lawyers and notaries may promise to facilitate adoptions or help families overcome legal ineligibilities preventing them from adopting in Togo, these individuals have no influence or role in the adoption process.  Only the High Court and the CNAET are directly involved in the adoption process. 
    • Time Frame:  Many adoptions can be completed within one year, but some can take up to five years.
    • Adoption Application:  You or your adoption service provider must file the adoption application with CNAET.   

    Note:  CNAET will not accept simple or scanned copies of documents.  All documents will have to be either originals or certified copies of the originals and should be accompanied by a French translation.  You or your adoption service provider may choose to use a private translator or the CNAET translator.  The current local cost for translation is CFA 10,000 ($20) per page and remains the same from one translator to another.  A list of private translators is available on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Lomé.  The CNAET translator’s fee should be paid in local currency via money transfer to the CNAET translator directly.  Information about the translator is available from CNAET. 

    The adoption application must include:

    • Adoption Fees:  In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.  Fees are non-refundable and are payable to the “Secretariat Permanent du CNAET” at the time of application.  Total fees are estimated at FCFA 580,000 (approximately $1,160). This sum includes:
  • Registration and file study - FCFA 540,000 (approximately $1,080); and
  • Request letter from the prospective adoptive parent.  A request in the form of a letter signed by the prospective adoptive parent(s) addressed in French only to the President of the court of Lomé. 
  • Certified copies of the PAP(s) birth certificate
  • Police records/criminal background check
  • Marriage certificate (for couples only).  In case of an adoption by a couple, the couple should be legally married and not separated.
  • Medical certificate. The medical report should include: the medical exams; the inclusion of any pathology findings if any; and the prospective adopting parent(s) medical ability to adopt.
  • Proof of financial support
  • Approved I-800A
  • Social investigation report including the psychological report
  • Photos of the prospective adoptive parent (s) home and living environment
  • Three notarized letters of recommendation from friends or acquaintances
  • Consent to adoption by a notary public or from the president of the local court
    • Documents Required:  
    •  Legal fees - FCFA 40,000 (approximately $80).  This is paid after the court’s recommendation for an adoption decree.
    •  An approved I-800A from USCIS
    •  A copy of the home study report including social and psychological investigation reports as well as financial informationA notarized Adoption Consent document expressing the consent of both parties (in the case of an adoption by consent)
    • Copy of adoptive parents’ birth certificates and their family booklet (livret de famille);
    • Pictures of adoptive parents, their house, the room to be occupied by the adopted child and the child’s photo in the case of adoption by consent
    • Recommendation letter from friends and other known people (translated into French)
    • Police clearance certificate
    • Medical examination results for the Prospective Adoptive Parent from within the last three months
    • PAP Address including email and telephone number
    • Receipt of payment of the full application fee
    • Authentication of Documents:  You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic.  If so, the Department of State, Authentications office may be able to assist.  Read more about Authenticating U.S. Documents.
    • Note: Adoption versus legal guardianship: Togolese family law provides that the legal guardianship of a child or the delegation of parental authority can be granted in cases where the child is an orphan, or in instances where he/she is considered abandoned or needy with no family to provide basic care.  The legal guardianship and the delegation of parental authority are temporary and may not lead to an adoption.  The High Court, in conjunction with the Ministry of Social Affairs, grants legal guardianship and the delegation of parental authority in the best interest of the child.  However, the court does not authorize a child to be placed or taken out of the country in the absence of a full and final adoption.  Therefore, obtaining legal guardianship of a child will not enable you to bring that child to the United States.
  1. Note:  Additional documents may be requested.

  2. Obtain a U.S. immigrant visa for your child and bring your child home

    Now that your adoption is complete, there are a few more steps to take before you can head home.  Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

    Birth Certificate

    If you have finalized the adoption in Togo, you will firstneed to apply for a birth certificate for your child so that you can later apply for a passport.

    If you have been granted custody for the purpose of adopting the child in the United States, the birth certificate you obtain will, in most cases, not yet include your name.

    To receive a new birth certificate for your child, submit the adoption decree to the “etat-civil” of the city where the adoption took place.  There will be a CFA 5,000 (approximately $10) fee. It takes about one week to receive a new birth certificate (Acte de Naissance).

    Togolese Passport

    Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Togo.  As noted above, an identity card and Togolese passport must be obtained before the adoption is complete.  See instructions above.

    U.S. Immigrant Visa

    After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to finalize your application for a U.S. visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Lome, Togo.  After the adoption is granted, visit the U.S Embassy for final review of the case, issuance of a U.S. Hague Adoption Certificate or Hague Custody Certificate, final approval of Form I-800, and to obtain your child’s immigrant visa.  This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you.  As part of this process, the consular officer must be provided the “panel physician’s” medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage.  Read more about the Medical Examination.

    Child Citizenship Act

    For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States:  A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad


U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy.  The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa.  A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit.  Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.  To find information about obtaining a visa for Togo, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country.  The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State.  Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary.  Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Togo, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements

For the first three years after an adoption, the CNAET requires the adoption agency to submit an annual report concerning the child’s well-being.  Thereafter, until the child reaches 18 years, reports are due based on the following schedule: after the sixth year after adoption (three years after the third report), the 11th year after adoption (four years after the fourth report), and the 16th year after adoption (five years after the fifth report).  The adoption agency should transmit the reports directly to the CNAET; alternatively, the CNAET will address the request through the U.S. Central Authority.

We urge you to comply with Togo’s post-adoption requirements in a timely manner.  Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process.  Your cooperation will contribute to that country’s history of positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption.  There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin.  Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note:  Inclusion of non-U.S. government

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Togo
Address: 4332 Blvd. Eyadema
B.P. 852
Lomé, Togo
Tel: (228) 22 61 54 70.79
Fax: (228) 22 61 55 01
Consular Fax: (228) 261 54 99
Email: Consularlome@state.gov
Internet: http://tg.usembassy.gov

Togo’s Adoption Authority
Comite National d’Adoption des Enfants au Togo (CNAET)
Secretariat Permanent
BP 1402
Lome, Togo
Tel. (228) 22 20 47 03
Tel: (228)  22 39 98 90
Fax: (228) 22 20 47 03

Embassy of Togo
Address: Embassy of the Republic of Togo, 2208 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC  20008;
Tel: (202) 234-4212
Fax: (202) 232-3190
Email:  Embassyoftogo@hotmail.com
Internet: http://www.togoleseembassy.com/

Togo also has consulates in:  New York, NY, and Chatsworth, CA.

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
600 19th Street NW
Washington, D.C.  20036
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email:  AdoptionUSCA@state.gov
Internet:  adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet:  uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-800A or I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email:  NBC.Hague@uscis.dhs.gov

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 36 Months
B-1 None Multiple 36 Months
B-2 None Multiple 36 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 36 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 36 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 36 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 36 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 36 Months
F-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 36 Months
H-1B None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
I None Multiple 36 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 36 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 36 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 36 Months
L-2 None Multiple 36 Months
M-1 None Multiple 36 Months
M-2 None Multiple 36 Months
N-8 None Multiple 36 Months
N-9 None Multiple 36 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 36 Months
R-2 None Multiple 36 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. (“Acte de Naissance”) According to Togolese law #2009-010 related to Vital Statistics Bureaus Chart, all births must be declared within 45 days from the date of birth at the Town Hall (“Etat Civil”) of the place of birth, or at the Togolese consulate or diplomatic missions abroad (article 18). For individuals born in Lomé, the capital city, the birth should be registered at the mayor’s office (“État Civil Central de Lomé”). Otherwise the declaration should be made at the État Civil of the city or town of birth. The information of the birth is recorded in a register made of five leaflets. The bearer is given leaflet #5 (which used to be leaflet #4 until January 2010). In the absence of a birth certificate, a birth may be certified by two witnesses other than the parents in front of the president of the court of the city of birth. A request for a birth to be officially recorded after 45 days should be addressed to the local court (“Tribunal de Premiere Instance”) of the city of birth. The court order (a “Jugement Civil Sur Requête Tenant Lieu d’Acte de Naissance”) is then reported in the course of the same year to the Etat Civil of the town of birth in order for the individual to obtain an original birth certificate. This is called the “transcription”. For smaller towns, this request should be addressed to the prefecture of jurisdiction.

Note: According to strict interpretation of Togolese law, the transcription of a birth decree obtained at the court MUST be done during the year of issuance of the decree. Failing to do this, the bearer will be required to use the decree for life and can never get the original format (leaflet #5).

Copy Certified as Original (Duplicata servant d’original): In the case of a loss of birth certificate, the bearer may obtain a copy of the registrar (leaflet #1) at the Etat Civil. This copy will be certified by the appropriate authority and stamped in bold “DUPLICATA SERVANT D’ORIGINAL”. The duplicata may be used just as a normal original copy. No duplicata is needed while the normal original copy is still in circulation.

Reconstitution of Birth Certificates: Due to widespread document fraud and political unrest of the relatively recent past, some civil documents cannot be located or were improperly registered. To correct this situation, the court will annul improperly registered birth certificates and issue a new court decree, as if the individual had never obtained a birth certificate. This decree (Jugement Civil Sur Requête Tenant Lieu d’Acte de Naissance) must be recorded in the register of the same year of the Etat Civil of the town of birth in order for the individual to obtain an original birth certificate.

In order to rectify the situation of improperly registered and filed documents in various vital statistics bureaus in the country, the Headquarters of National Documentation (Direction Générale de la Documentation Nationale) cooperates with the Embassy to systematically verify all vital documents upon request.

Data Correction on Birth Certificates: Any data correction ordered by the president of the court through a “Jugement Civil Sur Requete Portant Rectification” must be recorded on the back of the original birth certificate, stamped and signed by the manager of the Etat Civil where it was originally issued. (See Section on Name Change for additional information).

Death Certificate

Available. (“Certificat de Décès”). Any family member of the deceased may register the death and obtain a death certificate at the Town Hall (État Civil) of the place of death.  Deaths which occurred in a village with no mayor’s office may be recorded at the Town Hall (Etat Civil) of the Prefecture. To obtain a death certificate, one must present the birth certificate of the deceased and the “declaration of cause of death” signed by the medical institution, which certified the death.


Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. According to the 2007 law on decentralization, the mayor of the town of residence of one of the spouses is authorized to officiate marriages. If the town has no mayor, the regional prefect (“Prefet”) is authorized to officiate marriages.  However, local authorities have not uniformly complied since the law took force in 2007; therefore, some marriages officiated by prefets since 2007 are not legal under Togolese law.  This is not necessarily a fraud indicator, as many couples affected by this situation did not know that the person who officiated their marriage was not authorized to do so.  The supervising minister issued a circular in December 2012 to reinforce this law. Therefore, the Embassy rejects all marriage certificates issued by unauthorized officials as of January 2013 and requests the applicants annul the invalid marriage and remarry legally.. Specifically, marriages in the following towns may not be legal if they have been officiated by a prefet since 2013:  Dapaong, Mango, Bassar, Kara, sokode, sotouboua Atakpame, Kpalime, Tsevie, Aneho Vogan Kante, niamtougou, Pagouda, Bafilo, Tchamba, Amlame, Badou, Notse, Tabligbo, Lome.  Traditional marriages not officiated by civil authorities, common-law marriages, customary marriages, or marriage by proxy are not recognized under Togolese law. The marriage certificate (“Acte de Mariage”) sometimes includes two dates: the declaration date and celebration date. However, effective January 2015, all marriage certificates should only contain the celebration date.

Data Correction on Marriage Certificates: All data correction ordered by the president of the court of must be recorded on the back of the original marriage certificate, stamped and signed by the manager of the Etat Civil where it was originally issued.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Divorces must be legally formalized by a judge. The court of the residence of one of the spouses pronounces divorce decisions, and the Mayor or Prefet at the registrar where the marriage was originally carried out will add a handwritten transcription to the marriage certificate.  Parties may present the court’s decision for proof of divorce. Togolese law does not make a provision for divorces of unions that are not legally binding (i.e., traditional, common-law, or customary marriages). 

Adoption Certificates

Available. There are two types of adoptions in Togo:  plenary (irrevocable) and simple (revocable).  Only plenary adoptions are valid for immigration purposes.  Since February 1, 2010, all new adoption cases in Togo must be completed under The Hague Adoption Convention process. Visit the website for more detail.

Acceptable Adoption Decree: The adoption decree is obtained at the end of a lengthy procedure through the National Committee for Adoptions in Togo (CNAET). A legal custody decree or a judgment conferring parental authority is not an adoption decree. Only the court, upon request of the CNAET, may issue an adoption decree. Therefore, a document establishing the biological parents’ consent for adoption obtained before a notary public is not a full and final adoption decree. Rather, it is one of several documents required by the formal adoption process.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Prison Record

Available. For Togolese nationals, requests for prison records (Extrait du Casier Judiciaire) are addressed to the Senior Clerk (Greffier en Chef) of the court of their place of birth or the court having jurisdiction over their place of birth. For foreigners living in Togo, this document is called “Attestation de Non Condamnation.” Their requests must be addressed to the Greffier en Chef of the Courts of Appeals (Cour d’appel) of Lomé or Kara.

Police Record

Same procedure for prison record, although the prison record carries more legal weight in Togo. Police records are valid for three months.

Military Records

Available. Requests should be addressed to the Togolese Defense Headquarters (État Major).

Passports & Other Travel Documents

In August 2009, Togo began printing new passports. The new passport is International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) compliant, contains digital portrait biographical data, a gold seal on the back cover, and is machine readable. All passports are valid for five years and cannot be extended. Every traveler must have their own passport and children cannot be added to their parent’s passports. All passport applications are processed and issued by the Division of Passports under the Department of National Documentation (Direction Générale de la Documentation Nationale) in Lomé.

As of 2015, dual nationals are no longer required to obtain a tourist visa to Togo when they present a valid Togolese ID in addition to the passport of their current nationality.

Other Records

Certificate of Legitimation

This certificate does not exist in Togo as children born in or out of wedlock are treated equally under Togolese law.

Change of Name

Names can be changed legally by the judicial authorities in each town, or at the court having jurisdiction over smaller localities. To change or add a first name, the applicant must submit a request directly to the President of the court in Lomé or the court of his/her place of birth specifying the change or addition to be made. To change a surname, the applicant must submit a written request to the Minister of Justice to obtain authorization. The Minister will issue a decree authorizing the surname change after publishing the request of surname change in the official newspaper. Once the Minister’s decree is released, the applicant may add it to his/her request to the President of the Court. Records of name changes are kept at the “Tribunal de Premiere Instance, 4eme Chambre Civile” in Lomé or the specific court where the change was registered. 

Visa Issuing Posts

Lome, Togo (Embassy)

Street Address:

4332, Boulevard Gnassingbe Eyadema
CITE-OUA Lomé, Togo

Mailing Address:
B.P. 852, Lome

Tel: (228) 261-5470

Fax: (228) 261-5499

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Togo.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 234-4212 (202) 232-3190

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Lomé
4332 Boulevard Eyadema,
Cité OUA, B.P.852
Lomé, Togo
+(228) 22-61-54-70
+(228) 22-61-54-70
+(228) 22-61-54-99

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.