U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country

Central African Republic

Central African Republic
Central African Republic

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 $40.00 Multiple 12 Months
B-2 $40.00 Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 $40.00 Multiple 12 Months
C-1 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
F-2 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A $20.00 N/A N/A3
H-2B $20.00 N/A N/A3
H-2R $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
I $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 12 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 12 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
L-2 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
M-1 $35.00 Multiple 12 Months
M-2 $35.00 Multiple 12 Months
N-8 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
N-9 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
R-2 $20.00 Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

Pleasae check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. A Certificat de Naissance may be obtained from the Mairie of the Municipality or Sous-Prefecture of the rural area where the birth was registered.


Available. An Acte de Deces may be obtained from the Mairie of the Municipality or Sous-Prefecture of the rural area where the death occurred.

Note: Civil records (Extrait D'Actes d'Etat Civil) including certificates of birth, death, marriage and divorce for French nationals who were born, married, etc., in the Central African Republic may be obtained from the Consular General de France, B.P. 784, Bangui, within one year of the event, or from the MinistPre des Affaires Etrang Pres, Etat Civil, Falles Brancos, Nantes, France, if more than one year after the event.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. A Certificat d'Acte de Mariage may be obtained from the Mairie of the Municipality or the Sous-Prefecture of the rural area where the marriage took place.


Available. An Extrait de Divorce may be obtained from the Greffier en Chef of the Tribunal de Bangui, B.P. 787, Bangui, or from the Mairie of the municipality or the Sous-Prefecture of the rural areas which granted the decree.

Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Police records, or extrait de casier judiciare, are available in the Central African Republic (CAR). The chief clerk of the country court of the specific province has the sole authority to issue police records for a fee of CFA 500 (USD 1.00) = CFA 720). The chief clerk can also issue records to third-country nationals living in the capital or upcountry, but for a higher fee of CFA 1,500 (USD 2.08). Provincial and sub-provincial mayors are not authorized to issue police records.

All police records issued are kept at the Ministry of Justice in Bangui. A copy of each police record is kept in the Gendarmerie Headquarters that started the particular file (i.e. where an alleged crime took place, etc.) Authorities purge records ten (10) years after the date of first filing, CAR has no formal mechanism or indexing or filing police records. A judge is responsible for selecting police or criminal records for trial. There is no computerized database for keeping records, nor are there plans for automation.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available. Included in Extrait du Casier Judiciaire (see Police Record).

Military Records

Available. A Certificat de Position Militaire may be obtained upon presentation of an Identity Card from the Bureau de Recrutement, Etat Major de la Defense Nationale, B.P. 384, Bangui.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Yaounde, Cameroon (Embassy) -- Immigrant Visas

Avenue Rosa Parks
P.O. Box 817

Tel: (237) 223-40-14 - 222-25-89 - 222-17-94

Fax: (237) 223-07-53

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant Visa and Immigrant visa applications for nationals of the Central African Republic are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde, Cameroon.