U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Commonwealth of Australia

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months A
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months A
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months A
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
C-W-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
C-W-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 $105.00 B Multiple 48 Months
E-2 2 $105.00 B Multiple 48 Months
E-3 None Multiple 24 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
F-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
I $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 $105.00 C Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 $105.00 C Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
L-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
M-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
M-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 $105.00 Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
R-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
T-D 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

  1. Tiered Fee Schedule: B-1/B-2 visa valid for 60 months, multiple entries, $25.00 or multiple entries for 12 months, no fee.

  2. 48 months for the actual investor and immediate family; 24 months for other employees and dependents.

  3. No fee for High school students or USG sponsored or assisted students.

  4. For groups of ten or more listed on the same petition, the maximum total issuance fee cannot exceed $1,050 USD.

    Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi, Libyan, Somalian, Sudanese, Syrian or Yemeni nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates


Applications for Birth or Death certificates should be made to the Registrar in each specific Australian State or Territory.

Burial Certificates


Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage, Divorce certificates


Marriage Certificates

Applications for Marriage certificates should be made to the Registrar in each specific Australian State or Territory. The marriage certificate signed on the day of your ceremony is not acceptable.

Divorce Certificates

Applications for Divorce Decree Certificates should be made directly to theFamily Law Courts in each specific Australian State or Territory.



Adoption Certificates

New South Wales

Adoption Record
Unavailable. In New South Wales, Adoption Orders are made in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Equity Division. The Court does not issue a copy of the Adoption Order to the adoptive parent(s). The Court sends a Memorandum of Adoption to the Principal Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in New South Wales, and a further copy is provided for the similar authority if the child was born in another State or Territory of the Commonwealth of Australia.

The Principal Registrar can only issue a birth certificate in the child's "adopted" name showing the adoptive parents as natural parents. The new birth certificate is not distinguishable from any other original birth registration, and gives no evidence of adoption.

In order to meet other requirements of the Immigration and Naturalization Service in processing the I-600 petition, the adoptive parent(s) should write to the adoption authority in New South Wales. A statement that the adoption was finalized should be requested, and that the natural parent(s) did, in fact, irrevocably release the child for adoption prior to the making of the Order of Adoption. The name and address of the New South Wales Adoption authority is:

Adoption Branch,
Department of Youth and Community Services
Box 3485
Parramatta, N.S.W. 2124

There are cases, however, where the Court can dispense with the written consent of the natural parent(s) and still allow an Order of Adoption of full force and effect to be made. These children may actually be orphans, wards of the State, or the surviving parent(s) may be incapable of making a decision to release the child for adoption. Post has been unable to definitively ascertain how specific the information furnished will be without referral to a particular case.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Court Records - All Australia

Available. Whereas a police certificate will show the offense committed and the penalty imposed, it will not show the section of law under which convicted, nor the value of any goods involved. Applicants can obtain Certificates of Conviction by writing directly to the court involved, giving the full name, the nature of the offense, and the date of the court appearance that will show on the police certificate. The fee varies and the specific information required should be requested. Some courts destroy or retire minor records after a number of years, but the court can confirm that the record is unavailable. Verbatim transcripts are available in some cases.

Police Certificates - All Australia


Fees: Refer to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website for the current fee

Document Name: National Police Certificate

Issuing Authority: Australian Federal Police

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Various security features, including watermark, micro printing, and ink reactive the ultraviolet light.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Not applicable

Registration Criteria: Not applicable

Procedure for Obtaining:  Can be requested online or through a physical form sent by mail. Refer to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website

Certified Copies Available:  Inquire directly with AFP

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents

Exceptions:  None

Comments:  Australian Federal Police certificates based on fingerprints are preferred, but a certificate not based on fingerprints is acceptable if it shows all aliases ever used. Send a copy of the police certificate to the National Visa Center.


New South Wales

Court Record
Available. Applicants should communicate directly with the Clerk of the Court where the conviction occurred. In submitting a request, the full name of the person should be furnished, the date the conviction occurred and the nature of the offense. Fees for court records vary depending upon the length of the court record.

Northern Territory

Prison Record

Available. The prison record will appear on the police certificate.

South Australia

Prison Record



Prison Record



Prison Record

Available from the Department of Justice Victoria, Correctional Services Division, 20 Albert Road, South Melbourne, VIC 3205. Application should include the applicant's full name, aliases, date and place of birth and dates and places of imprisonment.

Western Australia

Prison Record
Shown on police certificate.







Military Records


A military discharge certificate issued by any branch of the armed forces prior to 1991 will normally state the length of service and indicate whether the discharge was honorable or not.

If the discharge certificate has been lost, or does not indicate whether the discharge was honorable or dishonorable, an applicant may write to the relevant branch of the armed forces that will issue a letter providing this information:

Air Force:  Directorate of Personnel, Airmen, E-2-32 (Russell Offices, Canberra, ACT 2600.
Army:  Discharge cell, Soldiers' Career Management Agency, BPO Box 1932-R, Melbourne, VIC.
Navy:  Directorate of Sailors' Posting, D-2-25, Canberra, ACT 2600.

Requests for such information should be made to the Secretary of that department. All information furnished should be treated as confidential.


Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Name Change Certificate


Evidence of your legal name change must be  issued by a civil authority.  In Australia, name change certificates are issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.  These certificates are not required if your name change is based on your marriage.

Australian Citizenship Certificate


The Australian citizenship certificate is issued to applicants who became Australian citizens after their birth. You may request confirmation of yourAustralian citizenship status here.


Visa Issuing Posts

Enter text here.

Visa Services

Enter text here.

Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.