Covid-19 Testing
January 15, 2021

COVID-19 Testing Required for U.S. Entry

COVID-19 Travel
January 15, 2021

For COVID-19 Travel Information click here

COVID-19 Alert
January 14, 2021

Update on U.S. Passport Operations

Visa Announcement
May 26, 2020

COVID-19 - Visa Services and Restrictions

U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country

Côte d'Ivoire

Côte d'Ivoire
Republic of Côte d'Ivoire

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None Multiple 36 Months
C-3 None Multiple 36 Months
C-W-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
C-W-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
T-D 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi, Libyan, Somalian, Sudanese, Syrian or Yemeni nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

ALERT: All Civil Documents originating from the Northern half of the country (above the UN Forces-monitored Zone of Confidence) should be treated as suspect. Due to loss, theft, and destruction of many civil records registries in the North during the period of rebel control, many of these documents are unverifiable. It is recommended that you contact post via email at: if you encounter any such documents.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Application should be addressed to Monsieur le Maire, or Monsieur le sous-Prefet, or Prefet of applicant's place of birth.



Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Address same as for birth certificate.


Available. Copies of Divorce Judgment (Jugement de Divorce) may be obtained from the Greffe du Tribunal Civil where the Judgment was pronounced.

Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

  1. Police Certificates are available for citizens of Côte d'Ivoire, non-residents born in Côte d'Ivoire, and non-Ivoirian residents (or former residents) of Cote d'Ivoire.
  2. In both cases, applications may be made in person or by mail (although the first option is strongly recommended due to unreliable local mail system).
    • When applying in person, an Ivoirian national should go to the Clerk of the Court Office, of the Court of Justice of the city of birth while a non-Ivoirian would go to the "Bureau du Casier Central" at the Ministry of Justice, located in the compound of the building called "Bloc Ministériel" in the Plateau area.
    • If the application is sent by mail, it should be addressed to:
      • For Ivoirian nationals: Monsieur le Greffier en Chef, Tribunal de Première Instance, (Specify the City), Côte d'Ivoire
      • For foreigners: Maître Yao Kouadio Jean, Bureau du Casier Central, Ministère de la Justice, BP V 107, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
  3. Information needed to enable the issuance of the document are as follows:
    • Applicant's birth certificate displaying the full name and date/place of birth
    • Full name and date/place of birth of both parents
    • Applicant's current profession and current domicile
    • Indicate the period during which the applicant resided in the country
    • Specify if the applicant was employed during that period and give employer's name and contact.
  4. The issuance fee is that of the Revenue Stamp. The fee for an Ivoirian national is CFA 500. A non-Ivoirian will pay CFA 5,000.
  5. Since the political and military crisis that erupted in September 2002 in Cote d'Ivoire, judicial offices formerly under the rebel-held zone of the northern half of the country (including north, west and center area) are closed. Ivorian nationals born in these areas applying for a Police Certificate would have to go to the "Bureau du Casier Central" at the Ministry of Justice, located in the compound of the building called "Bloc Ministériel" in the Plateau area of Abidjan. This procedure is in effect since they cannot currently obtain the required documents in their city of birth as it was done previously. The color of the Police Certificate in such case is yellow instead of blue. This new procedure is conform with Article 727 of the Rules of Criminal Law Procedure. Mr. YEO Aly, Director of the Criminal and Civil Issues is the Head of that Office. Their postal address is:

Ministère de la Justice et des droits de l'Homme
Directions des Affaires Civiles et Pénales
Bureau du Casier Central
BP V 107
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Court Records


Prison Records


Military Records

Available only for those who are on the census list and served in the Ivorian army after August 1960. Obtainable from Ministere de la Defense et du Service Civique, Abidjan. Census number must be included in request. Individuals who served in the French colonial army prior to independence should write to Monsieur le Commandant du Quatrieme Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine, Camp Gallieni, Abidjan.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

All old style diplomatic and service passports ceased to be valid after June 30, 2001.

The new diplomatic passports are burgundy in color, with the words "Republique de Cote D'Ivoire" and "Passeport Diplomatique" embossed in gold at the top and bottom of the passport, respectively. In the center of the passport, also embossed in gold, is the great seal of the Republic of Cote D'Ivoire, the profile of an elephant flanked either side by palm trees, topped by a rising sun, and with the words "Republique de Cote D'Ivoire" centered in a banner below the seal.

The new service passports are identical to the diplomatic passport, with the exception that they are dark blue in color, and have the words "Passeport de Service" appearing below the seal.

The passports each contain 32 pages. The biographic page is on page two. The bearer's photo is flanked by the letters RCI to the top left and bottom right. The pages themselves are tinted a rosy brown and pale green, and feature characteristic scenes from Cote D'Ivoire, including floral and fauna, village scenes, and architecture. All pages except the back of the front cover and the bio page fluoresce under black light with a design in bellow of the great seal, and blue and red specks.

Diplomatic and service passports generally bear the signature of Ambassador Atse, Amin Floren, Chef de Cabinet, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Other Records

Education - Cote d’Ivoire has a centralized entity to maintain national examination records, the DECO (the National Examination Division). This state educational administrative entity keeps records for state degrees for primary and elementary education (CEPE), junior secondary education diplomas (BEPC) and High school diplomas or the baccalaureate degrees (BAC). DECO prepares, issues, authenticates and establishes equivalencies between different state-earned educational credentials. Another entity the DEXC, plays a similar role in for Advanced Collegiate BTS records.  Records and credentials issued by these two state owned entities are available and generally reliable.

For university records, Cote d’Ivoire has four main public universities and a large number of private universities and advanced business schools. Public universities are accredited by the African and Madagascar Council on Higher education (CAMES) and conform to the rigorous and high profile norms of this continental body. Record keeping in these universities are acceptable and verification from their sources is considered reliable. As to the private universities, few are accredited. Reliable verification of titles and credentials from these universities may be difficult to obtain. 

Visa Issuing Posts

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (Embassy)

Street Address:
Riviera Golf
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Mailing Address:
01 BP 1712,
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Tel: (225) 22-49-40-00
Consular Customer Service Line: (225) 22 49 45 94 (answered from 8-12 noon Monday-Friday).


Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Cote d'Ivoire. Visas 92-93 for Liberian Nationals.

Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.