U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


Portuguese Republic
Exercise normal precautions in Portugal.

Exercise normal precautions in Portugal. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Portugal:

Quick Facts

6 months beyond the intended date of departure


2 pages per stamp


Not required for stays under 90 days




10,000 Euros or equivalent


10,000 Euros or equivalent

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Lisbon

Av. das Forças Armadas, Sete-Rios
1600-081 Lisbon
+(351) (21) 770-2122
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(351) (21)-770-2122 or +(351) (21) 727-3300
Fax: +(351) (21) 727-2354


U.S. Consulate Ponta Delgada
Av. Príncipe do Mónaco No, 6-2 F
9500-237 Ponta Delgada, Açores
+(351) (296) 308-330
EmergencyAfter-Hours Telephone: +(351) (21) 727-3300 
Fax: +(351) (296) 287-216

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Portugal for additional information on U.S.-Portugal relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Portugal website for the most current visa information.

Portugal is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Portugal for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least six months. You need sufficient funds to support you during your stay and a return airline ticket. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

If you transited through another Schengen country by air, sea or land enroute to Portugal without having registered your entry and you are not staying in a hotel or a similar tourist accommodation, you are subject to the requirement to register with local immigration officials within three working days of entering Portugal. You must document your entry to prove your length of stay. Request a stamp at an official point of entry, or download a declaration of entry (declaracão de entrada) from the Portuguese Immigration Service’s (SEF) website, and personally submit it to the nearest SEF office within three business days of entry. You must also present your passport. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in an administrative offense punishable with a fine from €60 to €160.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Portugal.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible near-term attacks in Europe. All European countries, including Portugal, remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to remain vigilant with regard to their personal security.

General strikes and public protests against government austerity measures have occurred sporadically over the last five years. You should avoid areas where these public protests are taking place.

Crime: Crimes of opportunity, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, particularly at popular tourist sites, restaurants, and on public transportation, are common. Pickpockets take advantage of crowds getting on and off all forms of public transportation, such as the popular Tram 28, using the jostling of the crowd as a distraction. Avoid standing near the doors on public transportation, as thieves will often strike just as the train/bus doors open and then dash onto the platform and disappear into the crowd.

  • Safeguard your passport and identity documents when traveling throughout Portugal. Foreigners who arrive in Portugal without a valid passport will not be permitted to enter and will be returned to their point of origin.
  • Be aware of your surroundings and take personal security measures to stay safe. Thefts of backpacks, electronics and luggage occur regularly. Do not leave valuables in rental cars, especially those with stickers identifying the vehicle as a rental car. Tourists are frequent victims of petty crime/car break-ins.
  • Avoid using automatic teller machines (ATMs) in isolated or poorly lit areas. Use the buddy system and indoor bank ATMs when possible. Leave extra cash, credit cards, and personal documents at home or in a hotel safe.
  • Keep doors and windows of private rentals locked at all times, taking extra care if easily accessed from the street or other places.
  • Illicit drug transactions increase at night, and travelers are often approached by drug dealers in the downtown area of Lisbon, especially near the bars and restaurants. Some travelers have reported incidents in which criminals used drugs to assault or rob them. Use caution when accepting open drinks at bars or clubs, and do not leave drinks unattended.
  • Always use a taxi from the queue or kiosk. Do not go with someone who walks up to you and offers a ride. If you have called a ride sharing service such as Uber, confirm that the car information in the App matches the vehicle you are getting into.
  • Tourists should not leave personal items or valuables unattended while at the beach.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on common scams.

Victims of Crime: Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes. Report crimes to the local police at 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(351) (21) 770-2122 or the emergency after-hours telephone : +(351) (21)-770-212 2 or +(351) (21) 727-3300.

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should seek medical attention if needed and contact the U.S. Embassy

For social welfare emergencies such as domestic violence or child abuse, dial 144. English-speaking operators are available.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide information about a Portuguese victim’s assistance program, administered through an organization known by its acronym, “APAV”. APAV – (Lisbon) can be reached by telephone at 21 358 79 00 or by email: apav.sede@apav.pt. APAV office hours in Lisbon are weekdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 2 to 5:30 p.m.; tel: 351 21 358 79 00, and in Estoril, near Cascais, the office hours are weekdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 2 to 7 p.m. and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; tel: 21 466 42 71. English speakers are available to help you. In Porto, the victims’ assistance program is called: Serviços de Sede (Porto) Rua Aurélio Paz dos Reis 351, 4250-068 Porto tel. 22 834 68 40 | fax 22 834 68 41
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

An SOS immigrant line has English-speaking operators who are ready to help you in case of emergency. You may contact them at +351 808 257 257 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. Your U.S. passport won’t help you avoid arrest or prosecution.

See our webpage for further information.

  • Filming and photographing the police or military and certain buildings in Portugal is illegal, and could lead to arrest or detention.
  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol could immediately land you in jail.
  • Possession and use of narcotic drugs is an administrative offense. You can face mandatory drug treatment.
  • Penalties for trafficking in illegal drugs are severe, and offenders can expect long jail sentences.
  • Pepper spray is illegal in Portugal and will be confiscated. Violators may be subject to a fine or prison sentence.
  • Possession of unlicensed metal detectors is strictly forbidden. Violators may be subject to fines.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Portugal.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. General information on accessibility and accommodations is available on the website of the Portugal Tourism Board.

  • Public transportation: Public transportation vehicles in general have specially reserved seats for individuals with disabilities, but some vehicles may not be equipped to load and secure wheelchairs mechanically.
  • Trains: The State Railway Operator, Caminhos do Ferro Portugueses, has a free service called “integrated mobility service” (SIM). English-speaking customer service representatives can be reached by phone at +351 808 208 746 (7 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Monday-Friday). SIM staff provide train and station accessibility; assistance during boarding/exiting or during the train ride; and assistance with trip planning. Some train stations are equipped with elevators. Requests for information or assistance must be made at least 48 hours before travel. For additional information, please visit Caminhos do Ferro Portugueses’ website.
  • Subway (Metro): Thirty-one of Lisbon Metro’s 52 stations offer full accessibility to people with disabilities. Elevators and moving walkways at main stations provide access from the platform to street level, as well as payment machines adapted for passengers with disabilities and/or visual impairment. Passengers with visual disabilities can travel with their guide dogs as long as their service animals are leashed and muzzled. Check Lisbon Metro’s website for more information. Porto’s new metro system affords accessibility for passengers system-wide with a network of elevators, ramps, and spaces for wheelchairs onboard metro cars. Check Porto Metro’s website for more information about accessibility.
  • Airports: All Portuguese airports provide wheelchairs and bathrooms to accommodate disabilities.
  • Parking: Designated parking with a wheelchair symbol is available in most supermarkets and commercial centers. The National Help Line for the Disabled (Linha Nacional de Apoio à Deficiência) can be reached by phone at +351 21 795-9545 (10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday). Assistance is only available in Portuguese.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


The U.S. government does not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Good medical care is available, but facilities may be limited outside urban areas. Public hospitals offer services at costs lower than private hospitals.

Payment is expected upon admission at private hospitals.

Call the national emergency response for an ambulance at 112 for life-threatening emergencies.

Note that the responsiveness of emergency services is not always comparable to U.S. standards.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage. We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Portugal, to ensure the medication is legal in Portugal. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. Portuguese law prohibits the mailing of prescription medicines from the United States to Portugal. Any prescription medications mailed to Portugal will be impounded by the Portuguese customs office.

You should bring a sufficient supply of medication with you to cover your anticipated stay in Portugal, along with a copy of your physician's prescription. Portuguese pharmacies generally carry equivalent medications to those found in the United States; however, they may be sold under a different brand name, may not be available in the same dosage, or may require a prescription from a local doctor.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: While Portugal has significantly expanded its motorway network with well-constructed roads that decreased the total number of accidents and fatalities, its road-accident fatality rate is still high. Use caution when driving, as aggressive driving habits and high speeds pose special hazards. Use appropriate care and caution while on the roadways, practice safe driving habits, and adhere to the applicable speed limits.

Traffic Laws: It is against the law to drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, speed, or use a mobile phone while driving. Fines for traffic offenses are substantial.

  • Seatbelts are mandatory for drivers and all passengers. Small children must be in a child safety seat in the rear seat with the seatbelts fastened.
  • Portuguese law requires you to leave your vehicle where it is and immediately notify the police when involved in a traffic accident. The national emergency phone number 112
  • Police in Portugal have the authority to fine on-the-spot and most of their vehicles have portable ATM machines to facilitate immediate payment.
  • You may drive with a valid U.S. driver's license for up to six months. For international driving permits, please contact AAA or the National Auto Club.

Public Transportation: Taxis and prominent ride sharing services such as Uber are a reliable means of transportation. Refer to the crime section of this page to alert yourself to other threats relating to taxis and ride sharing services.

Buses service is reliable.

In the Azores, driving can be challenging due to narrow cobblestone streets, blind curves, blind corners, and livestock on country roads. Public buses are inexpensive. Bus services begin at 7 a.m. and generally operate until 8 p.m., depending on the destination.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Portugal’s national tourist office and the national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight:

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Portugal’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Portugal’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Portugal should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency broadcast warnings.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Lisbon

Av. das Forças Armadas, Sete-Rios
1600-081 Lisbon
+(351) (21) 770-2122
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(351) (21)-770-2122 or +(351) (21) 727-3300
Fax: +(351) (21) 727-2354


U.S. Consulate Ponta Delgada
Av. Príncipe do Mónaco No, 6-2 F
9500-237 Ponta Delgada, Açores
+(351) (296) 308-330
EmergencyAfter-Hours Telephone: +(351) (21) 727-3300 
Fax: +(351) (296) 287-216

General Information

Portugal and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since July 1, 1998.

For information concerning travel to Portugal, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Portugal.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Portugal.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

The Portuguese Central Authority (PCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Directorate-General of Social Reintegration.  The PCA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications.  The PCA forwards completed Hague applications to the State Attorney in the appropriate Family and Minors Court in Portugal.  The State Attorney brings the case on behalf of Portugal.  The Portuguese Central Authority can be reached at:


Direcção-Geral de Reinserção Social

Avenida Almirante Reis, 72

1150-020 Lisboa

Tel: (+351) 21 114 2500

Fax: (+351) 21 317 6171

Email:  correio.dgrs@dgrs.mj.pt


To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Portugal, the U.S. Central Authority encourages parents to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.  All documents written in English must be translated into Portuguese.  Please note, however, that certified translations are not necessary.  Any competent person or organization may translate the documents.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the Portuguese Central Authority, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Portuguese Central Authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the responsibility of the applicant parent.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Portugal.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Portugal.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Retaining a private attorney is not required in order to submit a Hague Convention application to a court in Portugal. The PCA assigns State Attorneys to present a Hague case before the appropriate court. However, the State Attorney does not represent the left-behind parent who submitted the application; instead, the State Attorney represents Portugal and submits the request for return on behalf of the Portuguese Central Authority.  The State Attorney will have no direct contact with the left-behind parent.  Parents have the option to hire a private attorney to represent them. However, all attorney fees will be the applicant parent’s responsibility. A privately hired attorney should contact the Portuguese Central Authority as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed with the Portuguese Central Authority.

The U.S. Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal posts a list of attorneysincluding those who specialize in family law at.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation is a possible remedy for both abduction and access cases. The PCA does not provide mediation services directly; however, the PCA provides referrals to private and non-governmental organizations that offer mediation services. Mediation is voluntary.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Portugal is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of the child’s country of origin. 

Intercountry adoption of a child from Portugal to the United States is not possible at this time. It is not possible to complete the U.S. procedures in an intercountry adoption under the Hague Adoption Convention without a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider acting as primary provider; there are no U.S. accredited or approved adoption service providers that have applied for or received authorization from the government of Portugal to handle intercountry adoption between Portugal and the United States. 

The foregoing does not affect the ability of the adoptive parent who is not habitually resident in the United States to file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for an adopted child from Portugal with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The prospective adoptive parent (PAP) from the United States must complete two years of legal and physical custody in Portugal with the child. USCIS determines whether a child meets the definition of an “adopted child”, and qualifies for immigration on a case-by-case basis. For more information about Form I-130, please visit the USCIS Form I-130 processing page.

  • U.S. citizens living in Portugal who are interested in adopting children from Portugal through a domestic Portuguese adoption should contact:
    • The District Offices of Solidarity and Social Security in their area of residence;
    • Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Lisboa, for residents of the Municipality of Lisbon;
      1200-470 Lisboa,
      Tel:  213 235 000,
      Fax:  213 235 077,
      Email:  servico.adopcao@scml.pt    
      Contact: Largo Trindade Coelho
    • The Instituto de Acção Social, for residents of the Archipelago of the Azores; and
    • The Centrode Segurança Social,for residents of the Island of Madeira.

    U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Portugal who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should contact Portugal’s Central Authority. See contact information below.

    Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Portugal and the website of the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal, for information on consular services.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

Portugal’s Adoption Authority
Autoridade Central para a Adoção Internacional, Instituto da Segurança Social, I.P.
Rua Rosa Araujo, no. 43
1250-194 Lisboa
Telephone: 300 510 100
Fax: 300 510 101
Contact: Maria Teresa Coelho

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 None Multiple 24 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. The Birth Record (Certidao de Nascimento) is issued by the Conservatoria Do Registo Civil located in the district where the birth occurred. Normal processing time is eight days. There is a three-day processing time for urgent cases. Fees vary for a narrative certified copy or a full-certified copy of record plus additional charges in cases of urgency.

Death Certificates

Available. The Death Record (Certidao de Obito) is issued by the Conservatoria Do Registo Civil at the place where the death occurred. Normal processing time is seven days, however, there is a two day processing.time for urgent cases. Fees vary plus additional charges in cases of urgency.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. The Certidao de Casamento (Marriage Record) is issued by the Conservatoria Do Registo Civil in the district in which the marriage was entered into. Normal processing time is 8 days. For urgent cases, processing time is 3 days. Fees vary plus additional charges in cases of urgency.

Adoption Certificates

An adoption bond is established by a decree rendered by the Minor's Court in the area in which the child resides. There are two categories of adoption:

General Requirements for Both Categories

The general requirements for adoption are:

  1. The child must be under 14 years of age, or
  2. The child must be under 21, provided he or she has not been emancipated (released from paternal power) and was in the custody of the adopting parent or parents before reaching 14 years.
  3. The adopting parent must be over 35 years of age.
  4. If over 14 years of age, the child to be adopted must consent to the adoption.

Limited Adoption

Consent to the adoption by the child's natural parents or by the parents' ascendants if the child is in their custody. The consent may be waived by the court. The minimum age of 35 is not required in prospective adopting parents, and may also be granted to a single person. It may be revoked at any time at the request of the natural parents. As it does not confer full status as a legitimate child, such an adoption is not within the meaning of section101(b)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act for immigration purposes.

Full Adoption

A full adoption is granted only to a couple married for over ten years and without legitimate offspring of their own. If a child to be adopted was born out of wedlock to one of the adopting parents, the minimum age of 35 years is not required. The child must have been in the custody of the prospective adopting parents, or of only one of them, since the age of not more than seven. If the child's natural parents are known and alive they must sign an irrevocable release unless the child has been placed in the custody of a Minors' Court or in any other institution for minors. A decreed full adoption is irrevocable but subject to review on a later date if:

  1. The adopted child was born legitimate;
  2. The child's abandonment was not the natural parents' fault; and,
  3. It is proven that the latter did their utmost to find the child.

If over the age of 14, the child must give consent to the revision of the adoption decree. As this category of adoption gives the child full status as a legitimate child of the adopting parents, it meets the definition of child in section 10l(b)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, provided that the age limitations are met.

Processing time in either category is six months to one year.

Identity Card

Identity Certificate

Available. An Identity Certificate (Bilhete de Identidade) is required of all Portuguese citizens and foreigners residing in Portuguese territory for over six months. It is issued by the Centro de Identificacao Civil e Criminal at Lisbon. Normal processing time is five days. In urgent cases, processing time is two days. The Centro de Identificacao Civil e Criminal of Lisbon has branches in Oporto and Coimbra. The Oporto branch is invested with authority to up-date Bilhetes de Identidade not issued by computer and applied for by natives of that district and Braga, provided that the applications are not filed directly with the central office in Lisbon. The branch at Coimbra is invested with the same authority for nationals born within that district. 

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. A Certidao de Registo Criminal is issued by the Direccao Geral de Administracao da Justica, Avenida 5 de Outubro 125, 1050, Lisbon, to people 16 years of age or over, regardless of their place of birth or residence. Requests are processed and available immediately. Validity is for three months as of the date of issuance. If the above record reveals conviction, a complete record may be obtained from the Presiding Judge of the Court where the fine or sentence was imposed. The procedure is the same for resident non-nationals. Former residents and Portuguese nationals applying from abroad should submit their requests through the nearest Portuguese Embassy or Consulate. Processing time for out of country requests is approximately one month.

Prison Records

Available. The Prison Record (Certificado de Bom Comportamento) is issued by the Director of the prison where the sentence was served. Normal processing time is two days.

In the cases of juvenile offenders, similar records are secret and may be made available only at the request of Direccao-Geral dos Servicos Tutelares de Menores, Lisbon, or Tribunais Tutelares de Menores or Tribunais de Execucao de Penas in the area where the sentence was imposed or served. Normal processing time is ten days.

Military Records

Available. A Military Record (Registo Criminal e Disciplinar da Folha de Matricula Militar) is issued at Reparticao de Recrutamento or at the appropriate regimental or naval commanders to male Portuguese citizens between 21 and 45 years of age who are currently serving or formerly served in such armed forces. Also issued to male Portuguese citizens over 45 years of age if they served in the armed forces. Normal processing time is seven days.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Baptismal Certificates

Available. (Certidao de Baptismo) Usually obtainable from the Catholic or Protestant church in which the baptism occurred. Normal processing time by Catholic Church is two days; by the Protestant church: immediately. 

Residence Certificate

Available. (Atestado de Residencia) Issued to resident nationals and non-nationals by the parish board (Junta de Freguesia) of the area of residence. If necessary, it may be issued to former resident nationals or non-nationals. Normal processing time is seven days. An Atestado de Residencia is mandatory as a supporting document of an application made for an identity certificate by a resident national or non-national. 

Visa Issuing Posts

Lisbon, Portugal (Embassy)

PSC 83
APO AE 09726-5320

Visa Services

Lisbon provides nonimmigrant visa services for all of Portugal. Nonimmigrant visa applications for nationals of Guinea Bissau are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon.

The U. S. Embassy in Lisbon no longer process immigrant visa (IV) or diversity visa (DV) applications. All immigrant and diversity visa interviews and adjudications for residents of Portugal and France will take place at the U.S. Embassy in Paris, France. Permanent U.S. residents visiting Portugal can continue to apply for returning resident status or for an emergency replacement of their green card at Embassy Lisbon. Note, however, that the processing of the returning resident application will occur through Embassy Paris. For more complete information, please visit the Embassy Lisbon web site.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 350-5400 (202) 332-3007 (202) 462-3726 (202) 223-3926

Boston, MA (617) 536-8740

Houston, TX (713) 759-1188 (713) 513-5270

New Bedford, MA (508) 997-6151 (508) 992-1068

New York, NY (212) 221-3165 (212) 221-3462

Newark, NJ (973) 643-4200 (973) 643-3900

Providence, RI (401) 272-2003 (401) 273-6247

San Francisco, CA (415) 346-3400 (415) 346-1410

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Lisbon
Av. das Forças Armadas, Sete-Rios
1600-081 Lisbon
+(351) (21) 770-2122
+(351) (21)-770-2122 or +(351) (21) 727-3300
+(351) (21) 727-2354
Portugal Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.