U.S. Visas


U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country


United Republic of Tanzania

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1 None Multiple 24 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 24 Months
C-2 None Multiple 24 Months
C-3 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 24 Months
D None Multiple 24 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 24 Months
F-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-1C $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2A $500.00 N/A N/A 3
H-2B $500.00 N/A N/A 3
H-2R $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-3 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-4 None A Multiple 24 Months 3
I $500.00 A Multiple 24 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None A Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months
L-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
O-2 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
O-3 None A Multiple 24 Months 3
P-1 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-2 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-3 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-4 None A Multiple 24 Months 3
Q-1 6 $500.00 Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 24 Months
R-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

No issuance fee for dependent applicants. This applies to F-2, H-4, I-2, J-2, L-2, M-2, O-3, P-4 and R-2 categories.

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.



Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.




General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Birth Certificates

Available. Certificates of birth can be obtained from the Register General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam, for births since April 1921. Registration 5 years or more after birth involves a lengthy process, at times including hearings. A nonresident may find this process extremely difficult.

Death Certificates

Available. (See Birth Certificate).

Zanzibar and Pemba

Birth Certificates

Available. Birth certificates are obtainable from the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar.

Death Certificates

Available. Death certificate are obtainable from the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Marriage Certificates

Available. Marriage certificates can be obtained for all civil marriages and other marriages contracted after May 1971 (marriage not registered prior to 1971). Certificates are issued by the Registrar of Marriages, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam. For a marriage contracted under customary law prior to May 1971, the marriage certificate is obtainable from a church or religious institution. In cases where such a certificate is unavailable, the marriage can be registered with the Registrar of Marriages and a certificate obtained. Since it may not be possible for nonresidents to comply, an affidavit by two persons who witnessed the marriage may be accepted.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Certified copies of divorce decrees can be obtained from the Registrar, High Court, P.O. Box 9004, Dar es Salaam. For divorces prior to May 1971 and which took place outside the Courts under customary procedures, divorce certificates may be available from churches or communal organizations. In the absence of such a certificate, an affidavit by two persons who witnessed the divorce may be considered. Divorce certificate also issued by the Registrar of Marriages, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam.

Zanzibar and Pemba

Marriage Certificates

Available. Certificates of marriage can be obtained, from the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar. However, since many Zanzibar Asians are registered only with their own religious community, the marriage certificate of the particular community is considered valid for legal purposes.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Divorce certificates are issued by the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar.

Adoption Certificates

Available. Certificate of Adoption can be obtained from the Registrar of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam.

Identity Card

Certificate of Identity

Available. Certificates of identity are obtainable from the Principal Immigration Officer, P.O. Box 512, Dar es Salaam. This document is issued only to persons who are unable to obtain a passport.

Police, Court, Prison Records


Police Records

Available. To obtain a certificate of good conduct for mainland Tanzania, applicants residing outside of Tanzania must send a complete set of fingerprints, together with a written request to the following address:

Ministry of Home Affairs
Criminal Investigations Department
P.O. Box 9094
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Submitted fingerprints should be taken by a local police official in the requestor's place of residence, and should bear an official stamp or seal. The official should verify the identity of the individual being fingerprinted with a passport or identification card, noting the details of the identifying document. The fee is U.S. $25.00 for a foreign national, or 2,000 Tanzanian shillings for a citizen of Tanzania.

Results are generally available within two weeks of application.

Police records for Zanzibar are separately maintained and must be requested from the following address:

Officer in Charge
Identification Bureau, Fingerprint Section
Police Force
Zanzibar, Tanzania

Fees and application requirements are identical to those for Mainland Tanzania, above.

Court and Prison Records

Available. A certified copy of a court record can be obtained from the court of primary jurisdiction. Prison records may be obtained from Mkuu Wa Gereza La Ukonga, P.O. Box 9091, Dar es Salaam, giving name, dates of imprisonment and name of jail.

Zanzibar and Pemba

Court and Prison Records


Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents

Travel Document issued by the Tanzanian Passport Office meets the requirements of INA 101(a)(30). The travel document has a hard dark green cover with two black diagonal lines across the upper left corner, is printed in both Swahili and English, and contains 36 pages. It is valid for two years and may be extended. It is issued solely to provide a travel document and does not affect the holder's nationality.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Tanzania including Pemba and Zanzibar Islands.