image of Oman's flag


Official Name: Oman Last Updated: August 1, 2014

Alerts & Notices

No Current Alerts or Notices

Hague Adoption Convention Country? No

Expand All
  • Hague Convention Information

    Oman is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

    U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Oman who wish to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Muscat’s adoption authority (see contact information below).

    Below is the limited adoption information that the Department of State has obtained from the adoption authority of Oman:

    The Ministry of Social Affairs, Child Affairs Directorate, is responsible for children’s issues in Oman. Omani law does not permit adoption of Omani children in Oman but does permit guardianship if the individual(s) seeking guardianship are Omani citizens of Muslim faith. Non-Omani citizens are precluded from obtaining legal guardianship of an Omani child. Guardianship by a Muslim married couple, where one spouse is an Omani citizen and the other spouse is a U.S. citizen, is possible. U.S. citizens who are married to Omani citizens and considering adoption of a Muslim Omani child must obtain guardianship for emigration and adoption in the United States from the Ministry of Social Welfare. Guardianship of Omani children for purposes emigration and adoption in the U.S. are rare. Prospective adoptive parents should refer to our information sheet on Adoption of Children from Countries in which Islamic Shari'a Law is observed for more information.

    Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

    Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Oman and the U.S. Embassy in Muscat’s website for information on consular services.

    Ministry of Social Affairs, Child Affairs Directorate
    Contact person: Ms. Suad Al Yazidi
    Tel: +2469-6632 or 2469-6608