Apply for a Passport Card

COVID-19 Update: Know Before You Apply For A U.S. Passport

If you are thinking about applying for or renewing a U.S. passport now for international travel, please read the Department of State's current international travel advisory. Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have extremely limited U.S. passport operations.

If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport.

Learn more on our COVID-19 Update page and our Frequently Asked Questions page.                  

Should I get a passport book or card?

Both the passport book and passport card serve as proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity. We want you to know about a few differences between the book and card so you can decide if you want to apply for one or both documents: 

  U.S. Passport Book U.S. Passport Card

Used For

International travel
by air, sea, or land

Real ID: Passport books and cards are alternatives to a state-issued ID. 

Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • The Caribbean
  • Bermuda
The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.
Real ID: Passport books and cards are alternatives to a state-issued ID.  
Validity 16 and older: 10 years
Under 16: 5 years
16 and older: 10 years
Under 16: 5 years
Size 5" x 3.5" (when closed) Wallet size
  • $145 - first-time applicants 16 and older
  • $115 - applicants under 16
  • $110 - renewals by mail

Please see Passport Fees for more information.

  • $65 - first-time applicants 16 and older
  • $50 - applicants under 16
  • $30 - renewals by mail
Please see Passport Fees for more information.
Shipping Options If you're applying for a book, you can select 1-2 day delivery which costs an additional $17.13. If you're only applying for a card, we will send it to you via First Class Mail. You cannot select 1-2 day delivery.

How do I apply for or renew a passport card?

If you already have a passport book or passport card, you can renew by mail using Form DS-82. Your current passport book or card must be: 

  • Submitted with your DS-82 application
  • Undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Issued within the last 15 years
  • Issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

You must Apply in Person for a passport card using Form DS-11 if you do not meet the requirements listed above. 

Please Note:

  • If you only applied for a passport card, the card will be sent to you via First Class Mail. We do not use 1-2 day delivery services for passport cards.
  • You can use Form DS-82 to renew your passport book at the same time you apply for your first passport card. 



Can I apply for the passport card and passport book using the same application?

Yes. You can apply for both a passport book and passport card at the same time using either Form DS-11 (apply in person) or Form DS-82 (renew by mail - must be eligible). To apply for or renew both the book and card, check the appropriate box at the top of the form to indicate that you would like to apply for both products.

If you have a passport book and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail even if it is your first passport card.

Please note: If you're renewing your passport book and passport card, you must submit both documents. If you can submit a passport book, but you lost your passport card, you cannot renew the passport card using Form DS-82.

Be sure to include both passport book and passport card fees. Please see Passport Fees for more information.


Why can't I use a passport card to fly internationally?

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel.


Can I use my passport card at Ready Lanes?

Yes. Adults and children with U.S. passport cards can save time at the U.S.-Mexico border by using designated Ready Lanes that read the passport card’s Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.

How to use Ready Lanes with a U.S. passport card: 

  • Navigate to a lane that has the Ready Lane logo,
  • Keep your passport card in hand,
  • Display the passport card to the RFID card readers,
  • Proceed to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.

You can find a complete list of Ready Lane acceptable documents on CBP's website.