Reissued with updates to health information.
Exercise increased caution in Maldives due to terrorism.
Country Summary: Terrorist groups may conduct attacks with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities. Attacks may occur on remote islands which could lengthen the response time of authorities.
If you decide to travel to Maldives:
- Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Maldives.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist plan for emergency situations.