Exercise normal precautions in Cabo Verde. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise Increased Caution In:
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Cabo Verde:
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.
- Do not answer your door at your hotel/residence unless you know who it is.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Cabo Verde.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Praia – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Violent crime, such as burglary, armed robbery, and assault, occurs in Praia.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with updates to the Risk Indicators, the Travel Advisory areas of Level 2, and the “If you decide to travel” section.