How the Embassy or Consulate can help

Consular duty personnel are available for emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at embassies, consulates, and consular agencies overseas and in Washington, D.C.

If you need to contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the U.S. or Canada, call 1-888-407-4747, or from overseas call 202-501-4444.

Consular personnel know the local government agencies and resources in the country. They can help you:

  • Replace a stolen passport
  • Contact family, friends, or employers
  • Obtain medical care
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of a crime
  • Obtain general information about the local criminal justice process and information about your case
  • Obtain information about local resources to assist victims, including crime victim assistance and victim compensation programs
  • Obtain a list of local English-speaking attorneys
This site is managed by the U.S. Department of State. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorement of the views or privacy pollicies contained therein.