How to find medical help abroad

If you or a U.S. citizen loved one become seriously ill or injured abroad, a consular officer from the U.S. embassy or consulate can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing your family or friends. If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the patient’s responsibility. You can find local medical and emergency information at the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate near the ill or injured person. Find it online at

This site is managed by the U.S. Department of State. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorement of the views or privacy pollicies contained therein.