You must present a government-issued photo identification document (ID) when submitting Form DS-11 if you are:
- Over age 18
- The parent or guardian identifying an applicant under age 18
You must present one primary photo ID. If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs below, please present a combination of secondary IDs.
Primary IDs (submit one)
- In-state, fully valid driver's license (not temporary or learner’s permit)
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card (with recognizable photo, can be expired)
- Certificate of Naturalization (with recognizable photo)
- Certificate of Citizenship (with recognizable photo)
- Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
- U.S. military or military dependent ID
- Current (valid) foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
- Permanent resident card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
Secondary IDs (submit a combination)
- In-state, fully valid non-driver ID
- Out-of-state driver's license
- Out-of-state non-driver ID
- Social Security card
- Learner's or temporary driver's permit
- Voter registration card
- Employee ID
- Student ID
- Selective Service (draft) card
- Medicare or other health card
- Expired driver's license
- Form DS-71, for an Identifying Witness (only available at your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency).
Applying Out of State
If you apply out of state, please present an additional ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth, and the document issuance date.
If you have undergone a gender change or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements.
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport