Gender Transition Applicants
We can issue two different kinds of passports to you depending on where you are in your gender transition. You must provide extra documentation in both cases.
|Status of Gender Transition||Kind of Passport||Validity of Passport|
|Completed||Full Validity||10 years|
|In Process||Limited Validity||2 years*|
*A limited validity passport book can be extended to the full ten-year validity book with no additional fee by submitting Form DS-5504 within two years of the passport issue date.
If you are in the process of or have had clinical treatment for a gender transition, please note that you must apply using the DS-11. Your supporting documentation should include the following, in addition to the normally required documents:
- ID that resembles your current appearance
- Passport photo that resembles your current appearance
- Proof of legal name change (if applicable)
- A physician statement that validates that you have either completed or are in process of treatment for gender transition
The signed original statement from the attending medical physician must be on office letterhead and include:
- Physician’s full name
- Medical license or certificate number
- Issuing state or other jurisdiction of medical license/certificate
- Address and telephone number of the physician
- Language stating that he or she is your attending physician and that he or she has a doctor/patient relationship with you
- Language stating you have completed or are in process of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender (male or female)
- Language stating “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct.”
Description of specific treatments is not required. However, the certification from a licensed physician, who has treated the applicant or reviewed and evaluated the medical history of the applicant regarding the change in gender, shall be based on the physician's judgment regarding the applicant's treatment needs, and made in accordance with standards and recommendations of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), recognized as the authority in this field by the American Medical Association (AMA).
A template Physician's Statement is available for download here.